97-99 Lumina LTZ models

oz37k

Personally, I've seen 2 97 LTZ's in yards with the 3.4L. No clue if there were swapped or not.

But, aside from that, here are some things with the LTZ models.

obviously, 97 had the 3.1L and 3.4L options (second being debated)

98-99 had the 3.8L

There were two levels of LTZ. One was an appearance only level, and included the base 3.1L and a single exit exhaust, while the other was the 3.8L with dual exhaust. It could have almost any interiot options, as I have seen cloth interior LTZ's with few options and also loaded up LTZ's

Another year difference is that the 97-98's had rear disc brakes, while the 99's went back to Rear Drum brakes. This means that 98 is the only year you could get the 3.8L with rear discs.

I've driven half a dozen LTZ's, and been the primary driver of two 98's (one my parents bought new, and one I bought with 122k) both had been great cars, and am actually considering finding another 98 as a daily.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremy

• 88red4cyl

• 5speedz34

• ManicMechanic

my cutlass has a 97 lumina lq1 in it

and??? .....post up some pics of an LTZ with an LQ1 and I will agree that they exist. I have never seen one in the 11+ years that they have been around

I pulled the front swaybar off of one in pick and pull. Yes. LTZ. 4 door. 4t65E. LQ1. they do exist.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

very true....but with 11 years and never seeing one I am to the point that I would need to see it in person, pics and/or VIN that states LTZ/LQ1 combo in order for me to believe it :lol:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-2001-chevrolet-lumina-monte-carlo-6.htm

1995-2001 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo Review

Chevrolet's redesigned front-drive midsize duo rivaled the Ford Taurus and Honda Accord, among others. The 4-door sedan was again called Lumina, but the coupe now adopted a Monte Carlo moniker. Both models got dual airbags, as well as a substantial exterior redesign and reworked interiors. Wheelbase was the same as in the prior generation, but the new models measured three inches longer. As in the 1990-94 generation, the platform was similar to that of the Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and Pontiac Grand Prix. Luminas came in base and LS price levels; Monte Carlo, in LS or sportier Z34 trim. A 160-horsepower 3.1-liter V6 was standard. Optional in the LS Lumina sedan and standard in the sporty Z34 Monte Carlo coupe was a 210-horsepower, 3.4-liter dual-overhead-cam V6. All had a 4-speed electronic automatic transmission. Antilock brakes were standard (except optional on the base Lumina).

Year to Year Changes

1996 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo: Engine output from the 3.4-liter V6 rose to 215 horsepower in 1996. The Monte Carlo Z34 adopted all-disc braking for '96, which also went into Lumina LS models with the 3.4-liter engine. Other models stuck with front-disc/rear-drum brakes. Air conditioning could now be the dual-zone type, with separate temperature controls for the driver and passenger.

1997 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo: All models gained daytime running lights, and a sporty new Lumina LTZ sedan arrived during 1997. The LTZ included unique front and rear fascias, a rear spoiler, and alloy wheels, with the 3.4-liter dual-cam engine as an option. The V6 was no longer available in the Lumina LS. A new automatic transmission, used with the 3.4-liter engine, promised smoother, more prompt shifts.

1998 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo: A 200-horsepower 3.8-liter overhead-valve V6 replaces the dual-cam 3.4-liter V6 on Monte Carlo Z34s and Lumina LTZs. Otherwise, changes are minimal.

1999 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo: Lumina and Monte Carlo carried on into 1999 with little change. Both got more standard equipment, and the Lumina LTZ lost its rear disc brakes in favor of drums.

2000 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo: Only one Lumina model was available, equipped between the 1999 base and LS editions. Only the 3.1-liter V6 engine was offered, retuned for 15 extra horsepower. Front bucket seats were no longer available, leaving only a standard 60/40 bench. GM's OnStar communications system disappeared from the options list. A new optional Appearance Package included a CD player and 16-inch aluminum wheels with higher-performance touring tires. Chevrolet redesigned its Monte Carlo coupe for 2000, switching from the Lumina platform to that of the new Impala.

^^^^^

see my post below that was from page one....and so far everyone can post literature/links stating it was available, but yet somehow no one can post up a pic....or a vin that shows LTZ/LQ1....

every '97 LTZ that I have ever seen has always had the 3100. I read that the LQ1 was available but I won't believe it until I actually see one.

At this point I could believe that there was a '97 LTZ with a 3.4, but I can't see it being more than 1000 cars.

Like I said before someone should contact Chevrolet for production numbers.

At this point I could believe that there was a '97 LTZ with a 3.4, but I can't see it being more than 1000 cars.

Like I said before someone should contact Chevrolet for production numbers.

I have never seen one, but the LS models could get it. I saw a Lumina LTZ with dual exhaust and looked at the VIN when I walked by there was no ''X'' in the VIN, it was a 3800, or a 3100 with duals. Never seen pics of a LQ1 Lumina LTZ 97 year.

I can't imagine they didn't make any LTZ's with the 3.4 when they made LS's w/ the 3.4, but maybe they didn't. I sure haven't seen one, but i've seen a couple 3.4 LS's

unless you're going to do a top end swap on a 3800 LTZ, I would get a Z34 w/ a 3.4.

my cutlass has a 97 lumina lq1 in it

and??? .....post up some pics of an LTZ with an LQ1 and I will agree that they exist. I have never seen one in the 11+ years that they have been around

I pulled the front swaybar off of one in pick and pull. Yes. LTZ. 4 door. 4t65E. LQ1. they do exist.

Ive seen 2 at pull a part too. One red and one white. Both 97 LTZs and LQ1.

I will make it a goal to get photographic proof when I go to pull a part next. Not many cars have left since this summer and I was there 2 weeks ago. They should still be there.

This is kinda gonna be like the Monte Carlo Z34 with front bench seats, isnt it :lol:

• 1 month later...

.....no one could come up with a pic yet???

I'm waiting too.

With some VIN research, I've gone through Autocheck and Carfax and if I type in a SAMPLE VIN for a 1997 LQ1 LTZ, it comes up with INVALID VIN.

Which is odd since I can put in a SAMPLE VIN for a 1996 CS convertible and it will come up with 0 records instead of INVALID VIN.