Price Paid Question - 98 or 98 Lumina LTZ

kcac

$3500 for what you described seems like way too much.

Here in Western NY, you can't find an LTZ around here...if you do they have 140k+ and they are rotted out junk. I want one, but I am waiting until I find a REAL nice one before I go nuts spending $2-3k on an already 9-10 year old vehicle.

I test drove a 99 LTZ today with 95,000 miles. The engine didn't fully warm up, even after driving on the highway. I guess the best case scenario is the thermostat is bad. I don't know what the worst case scenario would be. Overall the engine was smooth and strong. Interior was perfect, body had some rough spots and a rattle underneath. Anyway, my point is the $3k or less fair price guestimates posted earlier seem to be right on in regards to this specific car.

Were you just going by the gauge or did you have a scanner? The reason I ask is because the gauge on my 99 LTZ shows that the car never warms up past 1/4th up the gauge or so... However, if you hook up a scanner, it shows that the temp is actually where it should be...

No scanner just looking at the temp gauge and how it barely made it to 1/4 of the way as yours does. This is subjective, but even at the high heat setting, the air coming out of the heater was very warm, but not hot. It was barely sufficient with the temperature in the high 20's, it would never cut it in the dead of winter.

I am starting to wonder if there was a bad run of clusters on the LTZs in 99... Mine has always been like that, and I have replaced the thermostat a couple times and verified with a scanner, and the gauge has always been way off...

I just sold my '98 LTZ less than a month ago for $3,000. Pretty clean, no serious rot, clean leather interior with sunroof, good tires, and mechanically perfect with 184,000 miles. Not bad considering I only paid $300 (yes, three hundred) for the car when I bought it. :lol: Put a little work into it and drove it a year.

Honestly though I would never pay even $2000 for any LTZ Lumina, regardless. Unless it had like 2,000 miles on it.

97+ Grand Prix GTP > Lumina LTZ

You would be surprised at the asking prices new and used car dealers place on the 98 and 99 Lumina LTZs - $4000 seems to be the average. I guess if you are a good negotiator, it would be possible to get them to come down 50% from their asking price. And I thought car dealers were hungry for business now.

I am impressed you got $3k for a car with 184,000 miles on it.

I was looking at one the other day its a 99 tan LTZ with cloth interior with 100+k for $5200 i had seen it for a while and decided to stop by and see how much it was and was considering it until I saw the price. Thats just a lil too high for me.

The 99 LTZ I looked at last week had 116,000 miles on it, PW, PL, AC, bench seat, cloth interior, aftermarket remote entry, some missing paint on the rocker panels and around the wheel wells, and that asking price was $3500. That was an asking price though, not necessarily the selling price.