What's the top you would pay?

harrydunn

There's a 96 Riveara at the local chrysler dealer, it's got under 60k and is in awesome shep, but they're asking like 6500, I test drove it like 4 years ago, it still sits there :rolleyes:

There's a 96 Riveara at the local chrysler dealer' date=' it's got under 60k and is in awesome shep, but they're asking like 6500, I test drove it like 4 years ago, it still sits there :rolleyes:

[/quote']

4 years?! And the price hasn't changed?

Never pay more than the book value. If anything ever went wrong and you had to get rid of it, your pretty much screwing yourself over. Paying $5000 for a car in excellent condition with low miles that is only worth $3000 is like taking $2000 and burning it. You will never see that $2000 ever again in either case. Why? Because someone who may be buying it from you will NOT see the value you have placed on that car. The purchaser is looking to buy a car in the best condition possible for the lowest money.

Go ahead and throw away good money on a vehicle. Just make sure that when something bad happens, your not screwed over. Unless the vehicle is deemed 'Collector' worthy.

The best example of investment are cars on Barrett Jackson, your seeing people buying these cars because they want to enjoy their investment. No doubt they can recoup the money they paid for the vehicle they purchased as long as they maintained the vehicle with respect for it's intention of restoration. Like NOT putting modern features in a 30's style car. Or taking a Boyd Coddington car and changing out the interior or swapping wheels.

Perhaps this discussion should be more of...

What would you pay for a non-collector worthy car?

What would be the criteria for a W-Body collector worthy car? (Original, restoration, upgrades)

What would you pay for a W-Body collector car?

The sales manager balked at $5,000!!! Said no way he's letting it go for that.

I can't decide which is more insane. You actually offering $5k or him turning it down.

:lol:

I understand that you don't want to pay alot for these cars since they aren't worth dirt. But I would pay over bb if it was a nice low-mileage clean example. Granted, I wouldn't even think to offer that if it was a Series II.

I can't decide which is more insane. You actually offering $5k or him turning it down.

Ouch! :wink:

$5,000 is only $1,050 over BB. If somebody really wanted the car and has cash and it wouldn't be a burden on them financially, that's not much money in my opinion. Now, if you had to get a bank loan, then yes, they would laugh at you and say no way for $5,000. Then they would give you one of those bank suckers and call you "insane" after you left. :biggrin: Buying a new car for $20-30,000 and having monthly payments for 60-72 months, now that's insane!!! Again, just my opinion.

The sales manager balked at $5,000!!! Said no way he's letting it go for that.

Perhaps you should have spoken to the car lot out my way that had a nice clean HIGH mileage 93' GP GTP for $7500.

Sales people THINK they can get whatever they want for their shit. Thing is, we live in the free world where if you don't like the price, you can walk away and buy elsewhere. When retards sell cars at prices that are so high that the cars rot on the lot then it's not your fault, it's theirs. When you accept the high price and pay it then it's your fault your being ripped off, not theirs.

I think if you really want the car go for it. But I find that 97' CS sedans with around 170k km here in Canada are worth just over 1k. I wouldn't mind spending that much if it was a convertible or something, but for a regular 97' CS coupe, I wouldn't spend 5k (maybe if it was stored in the winter, no rust, and I plan to keep like that). If not I rather add 5k and buy a 5 year old grand prix. Just my thought!

you could always leave a business card with the sales mgr with your info and bottom price. Tell him to call when he's ready to come back to Earth :lol:

Best advise posted yet. I should talk tho...........I've probably over payed for most cars I bought :redface:

Also, you won't be able to insure it for that much, so if it gets totaled this winter by some jerk driving on ice or snow in an SUV like it was summer time..........................

Tom

back in 2002 when i was shopping for my first car i found a 87' olds 88 for about $4000ish, low miles, clean but not worth no $4000. fast forward to 2008. it still sits at that dealer.

back in 2002 when i was shopping for my first car i found a 87' olds 88 for about $4000ish, low miles, clean but not worth no $4000. fast forward to 2008. it still sits at that dealer.

Wow, that just makes no sense to me. It must be a pride thing with some dealers. I think that's probably what's going on with this '97. Saturday, I found a '96 Coupe with 88K miles for $6,400 at a dealer that had just been listed. It sold that day. Wow.

This weekend I found a black 93 Cutlass coupe, I don't know miles but the wanted $2500! I bought my 97 for $3200 in 2003. If I had the five grand I would offer that too I love driving my 97.

my ass. Dealers do not put on new tires. They probably just shined them up. Even if so, it'll be bottom of the barrel chinamen made crap that needs replacement in 8k miles anyway.

:lol: $50.

The dealer just e-mailed me this morning. He came down $50! Wow, that is insulting and hysterical. :lol: He said they just put new tires on it and now can't come down any more.

DealerPicThumb.jpg

Pretty much Identical to mine. I have a black pinstripe though, it makes a world of difference.

Responded back and basically told him that if he ever gets it down much closer to KBB to contact me. I'd say I will not be hearing back from him. Oh well, time to start to searching for the next one.