winterizing a ragtop?

kaptnjack

well...ol' man winter is upon us here in the mid south.

This is my first year with the cutty in the garage and I am curious as to what others do to winterize their raggy for the winter.

I am lucky in that I do have a garage to store her but unsure what "special" things to do to keep safe this winter. This is my first raggy.

I do have a carcraft cover and a unheated dry garage.

Engine wise....I know to check coolant and fluids etc.

Does anyone setup on jack stands to protect the tires?

What about a battery mender or disconnect?

What about the top...leave it latched or unlatched?

any discussions or tips?

I wish I was in Ten. I would never winterize My Z34, compared to being where I am in Montreal Quebec. My Z34 has been in the garage since August.

I make sure that all fluids are at the level it supposed to be. I make sure that the tires have the right amount of air. I leave the battery in the car. But during the winter I start my car every 2 days, and let it run for about 20 Mins.

one of mine is in a garage. that car is up on blocks letting the tires hang. it has stabilizer in the tank and the battery has been removed. When I get back to run it again, I will check tires for pressure and then lower the car, roll is out of the garage. I'll do a cursory fluid check and install the battery. I will pull a fuse to prevent he car from starting (fuel/ecm/etc etc etc) and crank the motor until the oil light turns off/gauge pegs out, limiting myself to a maximum crank of no more than 10 seconds at a time. then reinstall the fuses and bring it to life.

Starting your car ever two days is TOO MUCH. you will actually do alot more engine wear with the constant cold starts, use alot of fuel, and likely never get the exhaust hot enough so that it will rust out your mufflers. follow my advice above.

Nice advise Crazy K. I never had any problems with the way I did it. But I might just try your advise this winter.

no one does... until it is too late. also if the car is not run long enough to become warm, condensation ruins the oil and we all know water in oil is bad.....

as for jacking the car up.... some say keep the weight on the suspension. I did last year but not this year. afterall, don;t our cars sag enough sometimes? :lol:

Nice advise Crazy K. I never had any problems with the way I did it. But I might just try your advise this winter.

no one does... until it is too late. also if the car is not run long enough to become warm, condensation ruins the oil and we all know water in oil is bad.....

as for jacking the car up.... some say keep the weight on the suspension. I did last year but not this year. afterall, don;t our cars sag enough sometimes? :lol:

This is true our cars sag enough already :mrgreen:

Thanks guys for all the tips.

This is the first car I have "wintered"...usually they have been drivers.

Ok...Crazy...you say you like the Sta-bil? Use as directed?

What about the top....do you latch it or leave it loose?

I already have one a "batteryTender" device/charger and thinking of also adding a hard switch.

Also...here in Tennessee...we often (if we're luciky) get a few random sunny warm days during the winter that we could get out and play.

I would give the top a coating of top friendly detailing chemical like aerospace 303. It is hard to decide... I leave my top latched, but it it were unlatched... it could shrink and be even harder to close, vs stretching.

if you plan on driving ever once in a while, I would make sure all fluids are good and tires are fully inflated, and make sure to move and run the car at least once a month for maybe 30 minutes, including a reasonable drive to work everything in the transmission and all. I would probably locate the fuse for the fuel pump, and crank the car till the oil light or gauge registers pressure, re-insert and start it, whenever the car has set for more than a week.

You should actually always store the car, for any length of time, with the top up and latched. keep pressure on it so it doesn't shrink...and I should follow my own advice more often than I do! lol

I don't do anything special to winterize my vert, I just try to get it out once in a while. I like to drive around with the top down and the heat on any day the sun is shining and there's no salt on the road.

I also like to pick up my christmas tree with the top down....and not Just because it's the only car I have that a christmas tree will fit in but because it's fun! Crank up the heat and go topless, you'll be surprised how cold it can be before it gets uncomfortable!

Christmas tree in a vert. THAT IS PIMP!!!

I hope everyone has done all they can to keep em lively.

and last but not least thought: I hope you have silcone(dielectric) greased all your rubber to keep em fresh for the spring!