What suspensions will interchange with my '99 Monte?

Piston.Hurricane

Guys,

Now that I own one, I'm noticing a lot of W-bodys in the junkyards. Can you please tell me what models and model years can be donors for any suspension upgrades (front and rear)?

I've already picked up a '93 Cutlass convertible STB and a bigger rear sway from a '95 Z34 (thanks to tips from you guys). What else is out there that I don't know about?

Thanks,

Hurricane

Cop Impalas have tubular trailing arms and adjustable lateral links.

3.4 cars had 34mm front sway bars as well.

Please specifiy a model year span for the police cars. I would suspect they're not all the same.

Cop Impalas have tubular trailing arms and adjustable lateral links.

3.4 cars had 34mm front sway bars as well.

Please specifiy a model year span for the police cars. I would suspect they're not all the same.

00-04? I want to say...

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC, pretty much anything from a 2nd gen rear end suspension should bolt up to yours.

Front, pretty much anything 88-whatever the last year 1.5 gen's were made.

Not a lot of 1.5 gen people running around on here, your probably going to get more good info on mymonte.com.

IIRC, pretty much anything from a 2nd gen rear end suspension should bolt up to yours.

Front, pretty much anything 88-whatever the last year 1.5 gen's were made.

Not a lot of 1.5 gen people running around on here, your probably going to get more good info on mymonte.com.

2nd Gen parts will not work on a 1st gen car.

you will have to basicly find a Monte Carlo Z34 and rape it of its Front/Rear sway bars (front can be from any 92+ DOHC Car). the GMPP (GM performance parts) tubular trailing arms for a 1997+ Grand Prix will fit but thats about it. BMR lateral links will fit and have adjustments. Eibach and Suspention techniques lowering springs are a great investment. I think the Z34 Monte Springs are stiffer then the LS but not as firm as the Eibach/ST springs. If your interested i have my stock springs sitting in my storage unit doing nothing. You can also do brake swaps from the Z34's i think they have larger disc brakes ect. Energy suspension makes great polly bushings that are greaseable for the swaybars. Other then that you will have to do custom parts. Rear strut bar is not hard to make.

S

Well... technically, you do have a 5th gen, but when your on these FWD forums, your a 1.5 gen vehicle (cross between 1 gen W's and 2 gen W's).

What makes it a "cross between"?

Well... technically, you do have a 5th gen, but when your on these FWD forums, your a 1.5 gen vehicle (cross between 1 gen W's and 2 gen W's).

What makes it a "cross between"?

the gen 1.5 shares a lot with it's gen 1 counterparts (like the front suspension and drive train availability) but it also has little upgraded things that haven't fully evolved into the gen2 platform yet. sort of confusing to say.

So basicly what rear adjustable lateral links can I put On my 98 Monte 1.5 gen??? From the looks of it at work everyday I can put plenty of stuff from w-bodys on up to 07.

You can use up to 04.. 04s are longer than the 97-03s. Im not sure by how much. Next time I have one on a lift at work, I will measure them. I brought a tape measure to work a couple weeks to do so, but we have been so busy I had to hurry through on the cars and couldnt measure the lateral links.

Basically, almost everything is interchangable. You can almost make the rear subframe bolt in, but I think holes will have to be drilled to match the early mounting. I was gonna grab a rear subframe from pull a part, but didnt have my 1/2 drive tools with me.

Hell, I will be using the 2nd gen BMR arms on my TGP, with 2nd gen rear aluminum knuckles and larger brakes. 12" rear brake will be FTW.

As far as the front, with proper fabricated control arms using the newer style balljoint, you can use the 2nd gen front knuckles (allowing for 13" brakes as bolt on) and they are aluminum and lighter.

Of course, struts will take some mount work in the rear (front mounts use the same bolt pattern) but I will be using coilovers with custom mounts.

thanks, good info. Also how could I put a say 02 grand prix's front strut design in my 98 or 95 monte. Basicly how possible is it to replace 1.5 gen front struts with 2.0 gen struts. Also can I do the big brake upgrade (like zzp's 13" or w/e kit) with the 1.5 gen struts up front?? if not than damn that sucks!!

thanks, good info. Also how could I put a say 02 grand prix's front strut design in my 98 or 95 monte. Basicly how possible is it to replace 1.5 gen front struts with 2.0 gen struts. Also can I do the big brake upgrade (like zzp's 13" or w/e kit) with the 1.5 gen struts up front?? if not than damn that sucks!!

You will need to have lower control arms fabricated to use the new design ball joint, that is the only way to get bolt on 13" brakes. Not only that, you have better options as far as front springs and struts and a lighter knuckle since its made of aluminum. In still working out all the kinks of a Gen 2 front suspension on Gen 1 and 1.5 cars..