high mileage oil ???

jake91

if this thread is in the wrong place move it please. i was wondering about high mileage oil and iwas ewanting to get some opinions i used to use it in my old car and i swear by the stuff because after i used it i stoped leaking oil but and i have been telling my mom that she should put it in her car because it has 100000 miles on it but she is not so sure she feals that if it is suppose to stop leakes and restore the cylinder walls that i must have some sort of filler gunking up the engine so i would like some opinions to she if im right of wrong

It's garbage. Not that it's bad for the motor, but it's not going to do it any favors. Get some decent oil and a decent (read: NON-FRAM) filter and she should be good.

I think driving in a spirited fashion once in a while helps clean out gunk in engines more than any additive or high-mileage oil ever does. Case in point: I drive my cars pretty hard. When we tore down my 3100 (after 10k of me owning it) it was very, very clean inside.

Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's not a waste of money.

It's garbage. Not that it's bad for the motor, but it's not going to do it any favors. Get some decent oil and a decent (read: NON-FRAM) filter and she should be good

What is wrong with Fram???

Tom

lol here we go again. I have used all of the fram filters and have never once had a problem. I always run the high mileage fram in my car and i love it. And to make things easier i never need filter pliers to get it back off lol.

As for oil i highly recommend pennzoil platinum. my piston noise has just about dissapeared and i have a definate change in oil pressure.

In my eyes there is nothing wrong with fram

It's garbage. Not that it's bad for the motor, but it's not going to do it any favors. Get some decent oil and a decent (read: NON-FRAM) filter and she should be good

What is wrong with Fram???

Tom

x2 Everyone seems to hate Fram. Why?????? I'm not endorsing it, but ever since I owned my first car, that's mostly what I've used. Main reason, that textured grip has always been really slick. I put 'em on hand tight, and am always able to get them off by hand. It makes things way easier. A good example of use, my Euro: Bought it in July 2003 with 135,000 miles. Today, 195,000 miles. I get 29.5 mpg highway doing 70mph, and the only engine things I've had to fix were to replace a fuel injector and FPR, and oil pump drive seal (duh).

lol here we go again. I have used all of the fram filters and have never once had a problem. I always run the high mileage fram in my car and i love it. And to make things easier i never need filter pliers to get it back off lol.

As for oil i highly recommend pennzoil platinum. my piston noise has just about dissapeared and i have a definate change in oil pressure.

Yay!!! Finally another non-hater.

I used Quaker State high mileage on my last oil change and the car has only spewed 1 quart of oil on the ground between oil changes, opposed to the 2 or 3 it used to.

Don't know why I even payed any attention to the Fram dis in the first place. I've been a loyal Fram user since 1967 and don't plan to change now. Can't teach this old dog new tricks.

Tom

Fram when compared to other filters use the cheapest materials, including glued cardboard end caps for the filter elements and poor quality anti-drainback valves. It may be different for the high-end expensive Frams, but when other filter companies are using better materials, AND while costing less (Delco, STP, Purolator) why even bother?

Plus Fram likes (or liked?) to push their filters with the Teflon additive inside it. Another marketing gimmick by them to scam people to spend money on useless things and increase revenue. Sorry to say, but DuPont, the makers of Teflon, specifically say DO NOT use Teflon in an internal combustion engine.

I tried Frams a few times, and when I did, I would have lifter tick when the engine was cold in the morning. After seeing the studies and filter tear-downs, there's not a single reason to use Fram over the other guys.

And before you mention the kung-fu grip that Fram gives you, well guess what... Purolator Pureone's now give a textured coating on the WHOLE thing. Don't overtighten the shit out of it and you won't need it anyway.

And before you mention the kung-fu grip that Fram gives you, well guess what... Purolator Pureone's now give a textured coating on the WHOLE thing.

Really? Where would you get these? I can't find Purolator brand anywhere I look, at least not in my immediate area. And like I said in a previous post, I was only initially sold on the Frams because of the suregrip. And that I could get 'em at any Wal-Mart. So, I willing to consider a switch, just because.

And before you mention the kung-fu grip that Fram gives you, well guess what... Purolator Pureone's now give a textured coating on the WHOLE thing.

Really? Where would you get these? I can't find Purolator brand anywhere I look, at least not in my immediate area. And like I said in a previous post, I was only initially sold on the Frams because of the suregrip. And that I could get 'em at any Wal-Mart. So, I willing to consider a switch, just because.

The Pureone line, that used to be a glossy blue, is now a textured gold color. These are the ones I was referring to. I know that Pepboys sells them. I haven't seen them in walmart, or autozone. I think it's more of a regional thing.

Look for this:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

i use the house brand from walmart for the filter, and the oil, i stay away from penzoil, it is about as cheap as you can go. why would i want oil from pennsulvania? seriously?

I run valvoline max life synthetic blend 10W-30, With a napa gold filter. I may try royal purple, But i am unsure if it will leak on me or not :lol:

AmsOil 10W-30 with AmsOil filter here :cool:

Uh-Oh.......Fram bashing.....soooo.......if you don't like Fram, do you also not like the sister companies of Prestone, Bendix,and Autolite?...all owned by Allied-Signal........who is owned by........Honeywell?

I only use Purolator brand filters, which are available at Advance Auto, Fleet Farm just started carrying them last fall IIRC. I also think Autozone carries them, not sure on that one. I also use NAPA Gold filters in a pinch. I only use Valvoline, or Napa oil (NAPA is Valvoline, comes from the same barrel). I was going to try Valvoline synthetic blend because Fleetfarm had it on sale for $1 a quart with rebate, but I missed the sale. I used to use fram filters until i read how crappy they are made. I never had bad luck with them, but did notice with purolator filters the engines make less top end noise. I will not buy a Fram filter, I have used one when it was free since reading the reports. The main thing people don't understand is that a Fram filter is not goin to block oil flow or anything, it's not going to make the engine blow up, but can stop filtering oil and let it bypass the filter materia.

Uh-Oh.......Fram bashing.....soooo.......if you don't like Fram, do you also not like the sister companies of Prestone, Bendix,and Autolite?...all owned by Allied-Signal........who is owned by........Honeywell?

I don't care who Fram is affiliated with. A cheap filter is a cheap filter.

By similar logic, would you tell me not to bash a Cavalier because a Cadillac is so well-made?

I don't dislike Fram because they are Fram. I dislike Fram because they are about flat bottom when it comes to a quality oil filter.

Don't know why I even payed any attention to the Fram dis in the first place. I've been a loyal Fram user since 1967 and don't plan to change now. Can't teach this old dog new tricks.

Tom

Fram in 1967 was a whole lot different then Fram in 2008.

Honestly I see no good reason to buy a standard fram filter, now from what I hear their higher line filters are still good. But with so many better, cheaper filters out there, why?

The Pureone line, that used to be a glossy blue, is now a textured gold color.  These are the ones I was referring to.  I know that Pepboys sells them.  I haven't seen them in walmart, or autozone.  I think it's more of a regional thing.

Look for this:

I got a 2 pack of Purolator PL10111 PureONE oil filters last year for like $6 from amazon for my 3100. The price is now $10.85 but that still isn't a bad price for a good filter with a 100% textured grip. http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL10111-PureONE-Filter-Pack/dp/B000H7XJJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1224023644&sr=8-1

The Pureone line, that used to be a glossy blue, is now a textured gold color.  These are the ones I was referring to.  I know that Pepboys sells them.  I haven't seen them in walmart, or autozone.  I think it's more of a regional thing.

Look for this:

I got a 2 pack of Purolator PL10111 PureONE oil filters last year for like $6 from amazon for my 3100.  The price is now $10.85 but that still isn't a bad price for a good filter with a 100% textured grip. http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL10111-PureONE-Filter-Pack/dp/B000H7XJJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1224023644&sr=8-1 

How come people don't buy the filter for what it is instead of the texture? You could put some skateboard grip tape on any filter :mrgreen:

I don't dislike Fram because they are Fram. I dislike Fram because they are about flat bottom when it comes to a quality oil filter.

Ding ding ding!