Some minor updates on the TGP; Started on the interior PG3.

slick

I'm just going to post before and after pictures. The interior still needs a bit of work, but I will ask the following question's in my next post. I have not cleaned this car yet, other than spraying off the dust at the local car wash, so yes, there is dust and dirt.

Rear Package Shelf (I need new speaker grills and a 3rd brake light cover, if you have them, PM ME).

Before:

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

After:

IMG_4527.jpg

Sunvisors (missing one of those little chrome screws, auto parts store doesn't have the correct OEM style, so if you have 1 or 3, PM ME).

Before:

IMG_4470.jpg

After (and no, I have not cleaned this car yet, hence the reason for what appears to be dust in the overhead console):

IMG_4524.jpg

Engine Bay. There's still quite a bit work to be done here. The previous owner, before Luke, went RTV happy trying to fix a vacuum leak, so I gotta fix all that up. But, what I have done so far is fix the heated O2 wiring(18-3 waterproof insulated cable with 600*F ceramic fiber sleeve) and also put the ceramic fiber sleeve over the cruise control vacuum line as well (appeared to be partially melted).

Before:

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

After:

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick

• digitaloutsider

• Psych0matt

• J

Nevermind on the carpeting, found a few places online. Now, what type of style carpeting do you think it is?

El Dorado: C8075.gif

Multiple: MUL-MED%20GREY.gif

Spectropile: SPE-GREY.gif

I'm not quite sure which would be most OEM like.

Chris, I've reglued the original carpet to the doors on my Red TGP before. All I did was peel back the carpet and respray the glue underneath. Once I mashed the carpet back down, it looked like it did from the factory again. I masked off most of the door while doing that by the way, that glue will run(I did mine when it was probably 90*F outside) some. It's been holding up for several months now without a problem. I used 3M headliner & carpet adhesive in the orange spray can by the way. Heat obviously dries out the old glue over the years. The later cars seem to have received better glue as my 1993 GP shows no signs of the door carpet pulling off.

Nice work on that rear package shelf by the way. :mrgreen: Also, if that white stuff on the rear window trim is wax, try wiping down the trim with mineral oil(usually found near the medicine at most stores). Mineral oil will dissolve the old wax. My red car had wax all over the trim and an application or two of mineral oil dissolved it all and made the rubber look great again.

Good call on the waxy buildup, I hadn't even payed enough attention to it yet, but now that you point it out, I'll take a look at it.

Yeah, I have thought about pulling the cloth off. Did you remove the old, dried glue before reattaching the new cloth, or just left it underneath?

The multiple looks most like factory... I might have those screws you need for the sunvisors... Can you take a pic of one and PM it to me and Ill look in my pile of screws from the part out... I should have at least the amount you need if not more.

Yeah, I have thought about pulling the cloth off. Did you remove the old, dried glue before reattaching the new cloth, or just left it underneath?

I removed some of the old glue, but quickly gave up on that and just started spraying the entire panel with new glue.

Ive used the same glue before with good results. The key is to spray both the inside of the carpet and the door panel and let them sit at least 5 minutes before applying more glue or sticking them together. The first time I used the stuff I didnt read the instructions and just sprayed the glue everywhere and stuck the two pieces I was working on together. A week later they were pealing apart again.

After reading the reglueing posts, sounds like the hot lash. Would save money, a lot af time waiting for the new material, and work cutting it to shape. The package shelf looks great. Nice work. But why do you need new speaker grills? They look good in the pictures.

Tom

Good call on the picture. I've seen it on the lower charge pipe as well, before the intercooler.

That where the BOV is on mine. Whoever did it did a terrible weld job and it looks like shit. Luckily its out of the way so it doesnt really bug me.

After reading the reglueing posts, sounds like the hot lash. Would save money, a lot af time waiting for the new material, and work cutting it to shape. The package shelf looks great. Nice work. But why do you need new speaker grills? They look good in the pictures.

Tom

The grills hold down tabs are broken, so they are currently just sitting in place. I can get by with them in that shape for now, but would like some in better shape.

Requested 6 color swatches from a company in FL today. Should hopefully have them by the end of the week, then I'm putting in an order for new door panel material. I'm just going to redo the panels with new material. I'm hoping the material that I requested is thick enough to hide the bumps from the old glue, we shall see.

Got the color swatches in. 1 I threw away instantly, but here are pictures of the other six. Two are rubber backed, which I kind of like for durability, but then I also wonder just how far the carpet will stick out.

Anyways, here are the 5 color swatches to choose from, plus all of them side by side for comparison. I have them from the lightest shade of grey to the darkest. Remember, my interior isn't completely light grey anymore (rear package shelf is dark grey, OEM upper dashboard is dark grey, center console is dark grey, sunvisors are dark grey), so I may even consider two-tone on the door panels as well (since there is an inner and outer carpeting area, and both are in need of replacement).

Sorry for the quality, I didn't realize how bad it is until now, however, the color is pretty true, just can't tell the fabric style (but all look and feel OEM like).

IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

And all together

IMG_4550.jpg

If I don't go to Cedar Point tomorrow, I will put each swatch up against the stock door panel for comparison.

Myself, I'd prefer something a little darker than stock.

yah, i was going to say, just having all the colors at the house doesnt mean much if i cant see what you are comparing it too right there too.