Amendment to the turbo sedan project...

92turboLE

ok, so as many of you all know, im working on adding a turbo to my N/A 92 GP LE.

although i still might do that, a few more options have been braught to my attention, and i would like to get everyones opinions on these ideas. i have been looking through Ebay and found a few Paxton Superchargers - which are centrifical blowers, not the roots type blowers on the L67. anyway, i am thinking of either:

A) dropping the turbo all together and using the supercharger, or

B) using the supercharger in conjunction with the turbo, so i still have my high end with the turbo, but also have lowend and no turbo lag with the blower.

the blower would mount in place of my AC compressor (with custom fabricated brackets of course) - the nice thing about these type of blowers is that it will help me do what i want to do, and that is have a complete sleeper 4 door sedan that will hand almost anything its ass. the centrifical blowers makee very little noise, unlike the roots type on the L67, which just screams. that way i can pull up to someone and they wouldnt know...

so what do you all think about both ideas. Any opinions are more then welcome, and if you know of anyone in person or on the board that have tried something like this, please let me know

thanks

- Justin

Couple of things. The Centrifugal blowers (I know first hand of Vortech) are anything but quiet. You also get quite a bit of hissing sound from the Blow of valve. So people would definetly know that it's not a sleeper. These chargers are cool since they give you awsome top end power. Something I found our TGP's are lacking. Just make sure you get one that is around 800 CFM or more.

Later

Adam S.

I would say, run like 50 or 75 shot of NOS at low RPMs to get the turbo to spool up. Much cheaper than a S/C. And, with a S/C and turbo the computer will probably go apeshit

Robby

Guest fatguy

Justin,

The supercharger typically doesn't add as much heat to the engine bay as a turbo does and using that form of a supercharger you are still able to run an intercooler (MUCH NEEDED). Probably the largest drawback would be using the stock ecm and sensors.

Turbos have a great advantage in the areas of power scavaging and efficiency. As far as lag goes, I think it is needed for traction purposes. Have you ever tried to "quickly" get across a busy street with lots of ponies, FWD and street tires? I, for one, am glad to have the turbo wait briefly before giving me all its got. As it stands, I can leave a stoplight at half throttle and when the turbo kicks in (about halfway through an intersection) the tires broil.

NOS, baad idea at low RPM's. The injected systems are designed to run under open loop situations (WOT mainly).

No matter how you force feed the motor, the main idea is to increase useable oxygen and consequently fuel into the motor. Squeezing the air DRAMATICALLY increases the intake air temp, so cooling the air after the method and before the throttlebody is crucial

Naturally, i would run an IC, if not 2, and also alch. injection is a must... also working on a cooling system for the intake and upper plenum that runs off its own seperate water system. the blower that im talking about, well, i guess i dont know a whole lot about them, but my buddy has one on his mustang and you cant hear it at all.... but i was thinking runnin both, that way i have the best of both worlds, but i dont know if i can physically fit them both in there with plumbing - ya know?

i think for now im going to do the blower cuz it is cheaper and i dont have to hack apart the exhaust just yet, saving time and money.

i can later add the turbo if need be or want to, since the internals will already be built for it..... and the computer thing.... well im not sure how to handle that off hand, but i will figure something out.... im having a fully custom chip burned that will be similar to the sy/ty chip, only adapted to the 3.1

wish me luck i guess

any other sugestions/comments/questions are welcome

- Justin

Guest TurboSedan
Naturally, i would run an IC, if not 2, and also alch. injection is a must... also working on a cooling system for the intake and upper plenum that runs off its own seperate water system. the blower that im talking about, well, i guess i dont know a whole lot about them, but my buddy has one on his mustang and you cant hear it at all.... but i was thinking runnin both, that way i have the best of both worlds, but i dont know if i can physically fit them both in there with plumbing - ya know?

i think for now im going to do the blower cuz it is cheaper and i dont have to hack apart the exhaust just yet, saving time and money.

i can later add the turbo if need be or want to, since the internals will already be built for it..... and the computer thing.... well im not sure how to handle that off hand, but i will figure something out.... im having a fully custom chip burned that will be similar to the sy/ty chip, only adapted to the 3.1

wish me luck i guess

any other sugestions/comments/questions are welcome

- Justin

i have two TGP intercoolers so you could actually make a dual core if you wanted, and i also have the TGP exhuast manifolds you would need. i'd use an alcohol injection system like you mentioned and also remove the entire A/C system. if you are not using a stock turbo you could still have Shane in Loveland rebuild one of my crossovers (i have two to choose from) with stainless steel braided flexes and a different flange for whatever turbo you are using but you're on your own for the downpipe....

personally i wouldn't use NOS or a supercharger along with a turbo - i'd just increase the engine displacement to 3.2L, run a bigger turbo (an upgraded Garrett T03 or stock T03 from a 2.2 turbo dodge would probably be much better than the stock TGP T25 and i know you have that T03 sitting in your garage right now...just buy a 3" swing valve from Relentless Racing to replace the current 2.25" swing valve and use full mandrel bent 3" exhuast), alcohol injection, DSM 1g BOV, lower compression pistons, grainger valve for boost control, proper tuning, and bigger injectors. unfortunately our pushrod engines are limited in high RPM power - like NO power after 5 grand :evil: , so maybe starting with a 3.4 DOHC motor would be a better choice for the power levels you want? what are you shooting for as far as ETs, HP, TQ?

Justin - i'll give you a call next time i go down to Denver and i'll bring all the HUD stuff with. i checked the salvage yard here and they still have the white TSTE hood but it has hail damage....they said they wanted $100 for it earlier, but with the hail damage it has gotten since then it should be cheaper. i'm going there tomarrow and take some digipics of the hood and fr/rr bumper covers etc.

later

joshua