dirt_igirt

Actually, for the 3100/3400, the PCM's between '96 and '97 physically look identical. Even the harnesses can be interchanged. It's just an internal memory difference. '97 has 512kb while '96 has 256kb.

For example, I'm running a '97 Lumina harness and I had a '96 Venture PCM in there for a while. I'm now running a '97 3800 PCM with a 3400 file flashed into it. The only difference *I* found between a '96 and '97 w-body harness is the cruise control circuit. However, the end result is they both work the same. Just the fuse location and some wiring got moved around.

I thought the first year for the Venture was '97?

Actually, for the 3100/3400, the PCM's between '96 and '97 physically look identical. Even the harnesses can be interchanged. It's just an internal memory difference. '97 has 512kb while '96 has 256kb.

For example, I'm running a '97 Lumina harness and I had a '96 Venture PCM in there for a while. I'm now running a '97 3800 PCM with a 3400 file flashed into it. The only difference *I* found between a '96 and '97 w-body harness is the cruise control circuit. However, the end result is they both work the same. Just the fuse location and some wiring got moved around.

I thought the first year for the Venture was '97?

Ah right. '96 would be the Lumina APV. Same thing applies to the engine management system though.

In all reality, you COULD temporarily run your original 3100 PCM on the 3400. Then either have a '96 Lumina PCM file flashed onto it, OR get a '97 Venture PCM when you get the chance. Matter of fact, I might still have my '96 3400 PCM somewhere if you're in a bind and need it.

no, thanks to my japanese wonder blowing the diff i now have to put a trans in it so this wont be happening for a month or so. when i actually get the motor in if i have trouble finding one i might take u up on that. just tryin to do my homework now incase a good deal or find comes along.

perfect. thank you. now who do you know can do a tune and for how much?

I don't know anyone local other than myself. If you get everything installed and going, I may still have the stock '96 Lumina APV 3400 file on my tuning laptop. I have been considering selling my DHP Powertuner which is unlocked for all 3100/3400 cars. But if nothing else, maybe once it's installed and running we could meet up and we'll work something out. As a minimum though you could definetly run and drive the 3400 with your original computer and harness. The swap is amazingly easy on '96+ cars.

easy is what im going for. im tired of this 3800 bullshit. i miss my car and i decided if even if its way slower ill take what i can get. itll still be uber fun now that its stick.

Oh and i bet my exhaust will sound wayyyy better with a 60*

Oh that's right, you're not going back to the automatic :lol: Yeah you'd end up needing some tuning but even so, you'll get her on the road. You could always do some basic modifications- 2.5" downpipe, camshaft and other things from the 60* store if you'd want. Downpipe is definitely the easiest and it does make a difference.

Ok, so you need a engine harness from a 96 or 97 W-body, and the PCM from a 96/97 Lumina/Venture, correct?

Will any wiring have to be run inside the car for OBD2, or is it plug and play?

Parts I specifically will need:

-1996 3100 Grand Prix harness

-20xx W-body 3400 (for bolt in ease)

-3400 DP

-1997 Venture/Montana 3400 PCM

-2.8/3.1 5 speed flywheel (after looking at my 3800 flywheel it seems it may fit. Im going to see if it does)

:willynilly: I dunno, I haven't taken it to the track. I have a Gtech, and last time I used it (like a year ago) it was good for low 15's at around 95 MPH. I take Gtech numbers with a grain of salt though. With the stock 3100, it ran 16.8@ I believe 88 MPH. The motor will be "finished" by spring time, that's when I'll take it to the track.

16.8 sounds about right for a 3100.

low 15s at 95??? :eek: thats all top end right there. the L67 was 14.4 @ 95 with a 2.1 60'

Yeah the cam I have gives bias towards the top end. Not really what I wanted to have, but the larger TB and 3500 intake gave me back a lot of low end power.

Gtech also likes to be optimistic with trap speed. It's probably more like 92-93mph but I won't know until I take it to a real track.

I should run a Gtech tonight just for comparison's sake. I think it's in the trunk of my car all these years :lol: