dirt_igirt

i saw the thread where they were putting in the 3400 in the cutty i was wondering what all it would take to put a 3400 in my 1991 gp cuzz my engine just blew up and i need to get it on the road and someone suggestd to do a 3400 swap... so how would i go about doing this

well...

method 1. the engine bolts right in. Stick it in there and get a custom chip made that can operate it, as your current chip will not run it.

method 2. (what I would do) get the engine, transmission, and all accessories along with the wiring and computer, and convert your car to obd II and all....

you will need:

-throttle cable and bracket

-upper rad hose

-coil bracket and module

-front pass. side engine mount bracket

-ac compressor (not sure if the orginal one will work)

-power steering pump and H/P line

-brake booster hose

all from a 3100/3400 w-body

You can get away with running it on the stock ECM as long as you use the stock fuel injectors and injector harness from the 3.1. You will need to change (or have one made up) front pipe/ down pipe to hook up to the rear 3400 exhaust manifold.

A 3 wire coolant temp sensor and connector from a 92+ 2.2L Cavalier is the easy way of hooking up your temp guage wire from the rear head on the 3.1\

you will also need a lower rad hose for a 92-93 3.1L w-body

The wiring from the coils gets re-routed to the rear of the engine from the front...

then its little things like coolant hoses, and vac lines.

That is all that I can think needs done right now, but I am sure I am missing a few things.

3.1 injectors.

does the search function work at all?

No, to fuel the 3400 properly, you need the 3400 injectors and ECM tuning..

Dont jimmy rig or band aid shit and do it right if you want results. Otherwise, youll end up with a 3400 with melted pistons from running too damn lean. Not to mention, you wont get much power.

Hell, on my 3100, ive pretty much maxed out my injectors... Damn 90% duty cycle :eek:

3.1 injectors.

Dont jimmy rig or band aid shit and do it right if you want results. Otherwise, youll end up with a 3400 with melted pistons from running too damn lean. Not to mention, you wont get much power.

Hell, on my 3100, ive pretty much maxed out my injectors... Damn 90% duty cycle :eek:

3100 or 3400 injectors, and nothing's gonna "melt" unless you do something drastic before it gets tuned. I know people who have ran it on that setup and if anything, the ECM was pulling fuel BACK.

3.1 injectors.

dont fucking tell me what will and wont fucking work. Ive done the swap and i know what im using works and it aint fucked it in any fucking way, my injectors arn not maxed out, even with the mods I have done to it. and im still running 12.4AFR at WOT.

19cutlass94... don't be a tool. You are talking about the WRONG engine!

what loudcutty said pertains here, but to be clear... 3100 SFI and early style 3400 SFI have the same injectors. in later years that had a different injector, which is no longer the typical round barrel style.

this is thread is about a 3.1 MPFI to 3400 SFI swap, not a 3100 SFI to 3400 SFI swap.....

what loudcutty said pertains here, but to be clear... 3100 SFI and early style 3400 SFI have the same injectors. in later years that had a different injector, which is no longer the typical round barrel style.

this is thread is about a 3.1 MPFI to 3400 SFI swap, not a 3100 SFI to 3400 SFI swap.....

Even in the early years, the 3100 and 3400 have different flow rates..

and 19cutlass94, I will say this to you, but not in a demeaning way, and anyone else, swapping in another engine, especially larger without doing proper tuning and proper fueling is retarded and a waste of effort. Sorry, I just look at it as a halfassed job..

lol at running a 3400 on 3.1L injectors and expecting it to make more power than a 3100 :lol: :lol:

And 19cutlass94, just outta curiousity, im assuming your AFR is a true AFR off a wideband??? If so, i would actually like to see what your injector duty cycle, and STFT/LTFTs are doing on a WOT run through 1st to 3rd gear..

the 3100 injectors with the black bands or green bands do flow ( a little) less than the 3400 red-band injectors.

the last 2 3400 swaps I did used 3.1 injectors on stock obd1 ecm's and they both run fine. the bigger injectors will make more power with a tune, but the first thing I would do is start with a better fuel pump.

when I first put the 3100 in my old 84 cavalier I went to the track then swapped to a Camaro LT1 fuel pump and went back the next weekend with no other changes an dropped almost 4 tenths off my ET.

if I was doing a basic (stock) 3400 swap on a obd1 car I would use 96-99 3400 or 3100 injectors with matching fuel rail (2000+ injectors will not work on stock ecm) or 2.8/3.1 injectors with a 2000+ 3400 fuel rail that has the higer pressure regulator. But if I was mooding a 3400 and dropping it in I would use injectors sized for the fuel requirements of the engine and a full tune.

I used the stock ecm and injectors in my 90 z24. I did use the 3400 fpr as it was a higher psi. It ran 14.8 with 3in exhaust and a cold air intake. Never ran lean and made great power. Many mustangs didn't know what hit them. I got 26 mpg running 95 mph down to kansas and 30 coming back going 75.

• 1 month later...

Ok used search to rake a thread up. Ive decided to drop the 3800 for now and go 3100/3400 to get my damn car back on the rd again - once I get cash.

I just need a simple breakdown. What 3400's will match up with what OBD2+ 1gen W harness's with what PCMs? I will probably be getting all these things from seprate locations. I want this to be 100% stock, wiring free, drop in, bolt in, plug n play, whatever.

any '96-03 3400 will drop right in with the 1st gen OBD2 harness. You will have the easiest time with a '97 system (harness and PCM), I'd go with that. A '96 system would work as well (though it's less tunable should you go that route), but with either setup you go with, grab a PCM from a '96-97 Venture/Montana/Silhouette.

and thats good to go on my original 3100 harness?

nvm: reading > me. i guess the ? is will both that huge lump sized 96 pcm (my old 3100 PCM with the oval shape around the connectors) and the 97+ style (flat rectangualar with 4 fins at the top) both connect to that harness?

Actually, for the 3100/3400, the PCM's between '96 and '97 physically look identical. Even the harnesses can be interchanged. It's just an internal memory difference. '97 has 512kb while '96 has 256kb.

For example, I'm running a '97 Lumina harness and I had a '96 Venture PCM in there for a while. I'm now running a '97 3800 PCM with a 3400 file flashed into it. The only difference *I* found between a '96 and '97 w-body harness is the cruise control circuit. However, the end result is they both work the same. Just the fuse location and some wiring got moved around.