shifting problems, not internals?

Psych0matt

So, I'm still having the same shifting problem, but I'm 99% convinced it's not the tranny itself, rather something controlling the shifting. I can keep it in second manually until I hit about 35 or 40, level off on the throttle, pop it into D and it shifts in just fine. It seems as though I have too much throttle "pressure", if that makes sense, to where if I give it much more gas than to keep it at speed it wants to pop out of gear. My boost guage used to be at 0 when I first started driving it, but around the same time I started having these problems my boost guage now sits about halfway between 0 and all the way down. I looked a bit on ALLDATA and it was pointing something out about the TV cable? I'm not sure, it hasn't got any better nor any worse since I've been driving it, stayed exactly the same. Any thoughts?

Make sure you have no vacuum leaks anywhere, and also make sure that the check valve attaching to the modulator is new and working properly. I had a bad vac leak and my check valve was bad on my TGP and it was causing all kinds of issues.. thought the tranny was going out. After fixing the leak and a new check valve, it drives like new. :mrgreen:

Unless you know for a fact that the tranny is been repaired How in gods name can you have that a high of a percentage :eek:

that was helpful :rolleyes: I say that becasue I know how it was shifting after I swapped the tranny, before it started acting funny, and the trans isn't slipping at all, just jumping out of gear, so I need to really scrutinize all the vac lines

On a turbo car, it is a few inches below the turbo, right in front of the transmission. On your Z, it should be below your airbox. I pulled one off of a 3.4 DOHC 95 GTP yesterday actually. The non-turbo ones don't have a breather port like the turbo ones do. Turbo= 3 way check valve (open port on end so tranny doesn't see boost). Non-turbo= 2 way valve.

I replaced that at the same time as the modulator, so that's good. all my vac lines seem to be ok, although I cant see both running under the UIM. The two bigger ones make a noticeable difference when I unplug them, not so much the two smaller lines. I do have some slight surging once in a while at idle, but my cruise control works (used it on the way home). Do the turbo engines have a vac ball?

My TGP was running like crap.. like it had a big vacuum leak, and the tranny was acting up so bad, I thought the tranny was going out. So I checked all my vacuum lines and connections, replaced the check valve by the tranny, and I looked under the car to make sure the vac line was connected to the vacuum ball, and the vacuum ball was GONE!! That explains why I had a flat drivers side front tire last week.. the tank must have fallen off, then I ran it over and punctured the tire.. it all makes sense! I put on a new vacuum ball (right in front of the drivers side front wheel) and it runs MUCH better now.

I just happen to know more about these trannies than most on this board, if you don't believe me just ask my pocket :evil:. Plus I want to go ahead apologize if I sound like the only one thats pessimistic. You say it pops out gear, Thats exactly what mine was doing, and to going ahead and answer your question {Yes} I adjusted and replace the TV cable and replaced everything pertaining to the Vacuum system, in fact I took out all splices just to be sure. I sure hope to god that its not your tranny, but if it is, your next effect will be that it won't shift into 2nd at all. Alot of people were helping me, when this all happen, including Jeff M. Again Good Luck

Where your vacum line goes onto your modulator take the line off and put a small screwdriver in there and turn to the right the set screw in there controls the line pressure on non-stock modulators(any new aftermarkets)If this dosen't work you may have a stuck govaner(spelling?) this is in the end of your trans passenger side where your speed output is remove the two screws holding the cap on and take cap of pull the rotating thing straight out thats the gov. Have that checked.

Its burgandy metallic with a new black hood(because of some damage)Then just to be an ass I painted the spoiler flat black and it came out well.-Yeah I have lots of pictures but this keeps saying my files too big to even post one.

• 1 month later...