My Custom 2.5 Inch Down Pipe

AWeb80

Got the pipe from here

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5423,417_Side-Pipe-and-Exhaust-Hook-Up-Kit.html?itemNo=side%20exhaust

I live 10 mins from the warehouse ...... :high5:

25pipe1.jpg

25pipe2.jpg

Stock 3100 DP.......BARELY 1.5" inside Diam.........that is horrible....

mini-IMG_2358.jpg

mini-IMG_2363.jpg

mini-IMG_2364.jpg

mini-IMG_2362.jpg

mini-IMG_2361.jpg

Stock Flange ready to weld.........

mini-IMG_2370.jpg

Not much room there.....~1" either side...so my measurements had to be RIGHT

mini-IMG_2371.jpg

Now the ugliest welds in the world...........But I don't care, nobody will see them, they work, and I have the satisfaction of doing it myself....

mini-IMG_2372.jpg

mini-IMG_2373.jpg

mini-IMG_2374.jpg

mini-IMG_2375.jpg

Didn't take any measurements.....ran out of time...was too busy fitting and such to worry about that....

Here it is drying w/ the VHT High Temp Coating.....

mini-IMG_2376.jpg

mini-IMG_2377.jpg

mini-IMG_2378.jpg

mini-IMG_2379.jpg

mini-IMG_2380.jpg

Here it is installed.............................PERFECT FIT............that made my day great........

mini-IMG_2381.jpg

mini-IMG_2382.jpg

mini-IMG_2383.jpg

This is one of my fav mods......it opened up the mid and HIGH range like no other........4-6K RPM is just crazy......and 1/2 throttle off the line is effortless.....

I will eventually do 2.5" back to the Y and then 2.25 from the Y back w/ mufflers and a rez up in the 2.5"

I thought it would be pointless to do the larger exhaust w/ a DP that is 1.5" in Diam.....so this will open it up a lot when I get the full exhaust on.

Here is the vid of my doing some WOT's and Down shifts..........it is soooooooooooo loud now....I LOVE IT

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AWeb80

• BXX

• MonteCarloDude

• 19Cutlass94

Wow, your down pipe does look soooo different from mine... What the hell was GM thinking??

BTW, ugly ass welds, but nice that you finally got it done and on..

those welds ain't bad and if they don't leak then their doing their job so be proud that you didn't have to pay somebody else to do it. Awesome job. The car sounds mean as hell.... I need to do this to my car to make mine even louder.

my 89 is still louder.. custom rust and rot ftw! I gotta learn how to weld... lol

I really like it though... just another reason for me to want your car... :P

So any tips on removing the bolts at the flange? My donught gasket is leaking and I need to remove the bolts/springs to replace it, but I havnt taken to good of a look to see the best way to do it.

Sounds awesome by the way.

So any tips on removing the bolts at the flange? My donught gasket is leaking and I need to remove the bolts/springs to replace it, but I havnt taken to good of a look to see the best way to do it.

Sounds awesome by the way.

Long extension from underneath with a u-joint type socket and a impact if you have it.. Which I know you do..

I wanna step mine up, but I am gonna get a stock one from the JY first and take it to a shop to have them follow it as a template and of course, it will be done in stainless...

i know my 96 dohc had a 2.5" dp stock. the pipe did have some press bends that prob took it down to 2.25 but it isnt bad at all... and being stainless you know it will last vs making a new one out of mild steel

THis was deff better than spending $250 at a shop.....I love doing my own stuff.

The car is a lot louder at idle now....I love it.

I wanted to do stainless, but my dad doesn't have the right wire to weld w/.....

I got better as the day went on...

I had a tendency to blow holes through the pipe, so I had to layer it on thick just to make sure there were no leaks.....LOL

...and Bob, any pics of your stock DP?........how much different is it than mine?

Do you think that maybe in 96, GM just started using the 3.4 DP's for the 3100's?

it looks bad, still seems slow but does sound good.....

3100 = not fast.

Though I'm sure he'd outrun most of the 3100s on the road at this point. Provided they dont have cams, heads, bore, etc.

o ya, I've stayed w/ a 3100 w/ 3400 heads/intakes.....

it pulls pretty hard for a 3100....on a good down shift in to first, the front end gets squirrelly...

I'm curious what will happen if/when you open up the rest of the exhaust.

My guess would be not much, The stock DP is junk on these cars, But the rest of the exhaust is ok.

3100 = not fast.

You can say that again. :lol: Now a S/C 3100/3400 would be :drool: :fap:

3100 = not fast.

Though I'm sure he'd outrun most of the 3100s on the road at this point. Provided they dont have cams, heads, bore, etc.

I would love to run him.. I am pretty sure I could easily hang with him if not pull from him..

And Adam, I will try to get some pics next time my car is on the lift at work and I have a camera with me..

OMG.. Adam your car really does make me want to cry. It's just that awesome.

If I didn't know for a -fact- that there was a 3100 under your hood, I would call you a liar right now... watching that accel, especially how quickly your tach is jumping ABOVE 4k...

Just dead sexy. I know I said it before, but DAMN.

LOL

Thanks guys!

I had a guy walk up today who hasn't seen my GP in a while and he asked if I had a modded motor.....cause it sounded sweet.

I LOL'd and said no....mostly stock.

I love the new sound......amazing how it opened up the sound.....I went down a HUGE hill tonight and used 1st gear as an engine brake and the RPM's were hangin around 3500-4k and it was cackling and cracking all over....LOL

sounded sweet