Idle relearn wont relearn

rockfangd

ok i just put a new starter in my 94 cutlass and the battery had been disconnected for 2 days. so when i connected the battery i did the idle relearn procedure. Well during the first startup the engine idled up to 2600 in drive with the brake depressed. SES light on. then after 5 minutes shut it down, and second startup it idled normal for 5 minutes in drive. Now about every other startup it will rev up to 1300 and if i accelerate it climbs higher. so i have to shut it off and try to start it again which usually solves the problem. Today i went to try to start the car 7 times and every time it idled higher and higher, i finally had to settle at 1300 and a car that basically drove itself lol.

What to do? i tried the idle relearn a second time after i pulled the ecm fuse but no fix.

Any help is highly appreciated

learning disability?

but seriously maybe TPS or IAC unplugged (dunno why it would be touched to do a starter but hey)

well i always disconnect the battery when doing starters especially when it will be without one for a few days.

Iac and Tps are definately not unplugged and the car ran great before this. The 2 sensors are 7 months old

Find out why the light is on and go from there. Perhaps you unplugged something else.

the code stored was for a high engine idle, go figure lol

Mine has too. It does it intermittently. Can't figure it out. The check engine light should be b.c the car has idled over 2000 RPM for more than a couple minutes

nope, checked it :mrgreen:

Like i said when i start it and it revs high i have to shut it down and restart it.

Here is a question what do you do if the idle stays at 3000 rpm when you start the car to do the idle relearn procedure?. I wish it would stall rather than rev that high. it would be very bad putting the trans in gear at 3000 rpm

If you havent checked the SES light, do that. When I did my LIM gaskets when I had the 3100 in there, I put everything back together and it idled at 3000RPM. I had to replace the IAC since it was sticking BADLY, then do an idle re-learn and that solved the problem.

i did pull the code and it was a high idle code.

Today i pulled the iac and it was extended about halfway. so i cleaned it and retracted the pintle, reset the computer and it worked perfect, i started the car and put it in drive with chocks in front of the wheels and it is good so far, Knock on wood.

• 3 weeks later...

ok so it has been working perfect for the past 2 weeks but for some odd reason it has been acting up for the past few days. sometimes when i start it it idles around 1500 then i shut it pff and start it again and it runs fine :willynilly: Between the starter issue and this it takes me forever just to get where i am going lol

Try cleaning your IAC one more time, and if it works this time, again, I would probly suggest in replacing it.

Also, check the O-ring on the IAC, it might be bad.