vacuum leak causing hesitant shifting?

Psych0matt

I think I have a vacuum leak somewhere, it doesn't like to drop into gear until I let way off, every gear.that, and my boost guage reads really low (i know they arent accurate) but it's been consistantly about 1/4 lower than it used to always be, now that it's been shifting funny. Doesn't seem to be slipping or anything like that, just like it wants to wait until the vacuum is right.

another side small problem, i swapped new stock dogbones on, and it shifts really hard into reverse now. before it was bearable, now it's really hard. I haven't left the driveway, just shifted while sitting.

He hasnt checked all the vacuum lines. I think the line fell off of the vacuum modulator at the tranny, since if was sloppy loose. Matt. go buy vacuum line and replace all rotted lines!

huh? its metal.

you mean couplers?

er... uh... yes... I think. the hoses that link the end of the metal line to the modulator are dry rotted, but so are many other hoses under the hood.

My cutlass does this to. But hell It was cheap. Id like to fix it. Now it has this thing in 2ed were it acts like it TCC is locking up and letting go only evey once in awile. No real simptons when. But it doesnt do it all the time. Infact it didnt do it today at all. and my car only shifts hard in to 2ed at low speeds (15-20mph) when i get on it it shifts fine.

He hasnt checked all the vacuum lines. I think the line fell off of the vacuum modulator at the tranny, since if was sloppy loose. Matt. go buy vacuum line and replace all rotted lines!

dude, you told me that on the phone!!! I know, its not like i could do it over night. tomorrow I'm fixing the cutlass, and hopefully fixing most of the TGP issues

It will shift hard as hell into gear without vacuum to the modulator. Check that line from the TB to the modulator first. That should fix all your problems. The dogbones are fine.

Use the diagram to be sure all the vac lines are hooked up correctly and your check valves are all there

I edited the diagram so everything is correct.

vacdiagram.jpg

can someone explain the open port at the trans shift modulator?

is that to vent under charge? (meaning it lets air out but not in)

Matt, I think your valve is one the wrong side of that T.

same for the port at the wastegate control selonoid, what's it's function?

The open port on the check valve on the trans mod is meant to bleed off air (boost) so your transmission doesn't see boost.

The metal line connects to the check valve on the trans mod, and the other end of the line threads into the UIM, facing the front of the car.

it was the line between the modulator and the valve. it was physically existent, but that's about it :lol: no more clunk into reverse, but it still seems a little hesitant to shift, but I threw the one foot line on til I could get home and cut it down, so we'll see next time i drive it.

now to address my (i think) flooding issue