1988 PPG Gold Cutlass Convertible Pace Car

IRONDOG442

Trying to decipher a vin from a show car or factory pace or track car is stupid and impossible. There is no rhyme or reason on the vin on my Zebra show car until you look at the other two SC-3s. They are sequential to each other. Secondly you already know the specifics of this car like engine, trans, trim, wheels, year, body style and other options. What else do you need to know from the vin#? This isnt a GM pace car its a PPG pace car which made many track cars for Indy back in the mid and late 80s. The car needs no other provinence except for the fact that it exists. Nothing else will be gained from its vin # other than just cataloging it.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IRONDOG442

• Crazy K

• ManicMechanic

• AWeb80

We should move this discussion to other important factors like, what you all think its worth, what will it sell for? And how much our monthly payments will be after we finance it.

it looks like an '88 pace car with 1992 parts (exterior, seats) done up by PPG. AmIrite?

Well, damn. That's what I've been saying!!! :lol: 1988 Indy Pace Car done up in 1992 International parts...

it looks like an '88 pace car with 1992 parts (exterior, seats) done up by PPG. AmIrite?

Well, damn. That's what I've been saying!!! :lol: 1988 Indy Pace Car done up in 1992 International parts...

Yah and I want to establish my opinion that this car did NOT look like this in 1988, but was probably done within the last 10 years. I don't believe the '92+ exterior was designed in the late 80's since every piece on that car looks OEM, not hand-made or prototype. :biggrin:

Yah and I want to establish my opinion that this car did NOT look like this in 1988, but was probably done within the last 10 years. I don't believe the '92+ exterior was designed in the late 80's since every piece on that car looks OEM, not hand-made or prototype. :biggrin:

Thank you. I can't find any information about the car. I'm going to dig out my old Autoweeks from 1991+. If there's anything about ti, it's in there.

I am not with you guys on the whole they redid an 1988 later on. That is a whole lot of trouble to go through just to have a modern looking Pace Car.

This car seems to be part of PPG's pace car line up which had some pretty remarkable cars many of them futuristic and even have a legal history. PPG tried to get out of paying Ohio Use tax. Heres a PDF of the lawsuit which exlains what these cars were used for.

http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/pdf/0/1996/1996-ohio-116.pdf

Heres a photograph of another Oldsmobile in the PPG Pace car line up.

One theroy that many of you may or may not subscribe to is the possibility of PPG doing the design work for the 1992 and up body style and GM seeing the car on the track and purchasing the rights to the design. it seems outlandish but of you look at the other PPG cars which they supposedly designed themselves it is certainly possible.

One theroy that many of you may or may not subscribe to is the possibility of PPG doing the design work for the 1992 and up body style and GM seeing the car on the track and purchasing the rights to the design. it seems outlandish but of you look at the other PPG cars which they supposedly designed themselves it is certainly possible.

certainly possible but we've gotta get more info on this bad boy.

I concur with this statement. But I also suggested the idea that GM designed different versions of the car in the first place, and what we see here could be either:

1 an example of a prototype GM built with a 92 + body style, which has been converted into a pace car.

2 a factory 88 car converted into a custom body by PPG or others, which GM adopted as it's own for 92+ cars.

Let me Remind you The 1988 Aerotech III featured components that GM used on 92+ cars. Which example above does that most resemble???

I have been looking for info on this car and it looks like PPG is the best way to get it. Info is hard to gather on the intrawebs for this vehicle not so much the PPG cars but the 1988 Pace Car specifically.