Using seafoam on a tgp

shadow

I would say yes. I used to have a 89 z24 cavalier that would die every time I stopped at a stop sign or stop light. I used Sea Foam in it three times in a row when filling and it kicked it right out of it. It never died after that, not even when the brand new Duramax Chevy ran the red light and t boned me. I miss that car, but o well Im a firm believer in Sea Foam.

Hopefully Nick will chime in and give us step by step instructions on how he used it.

There are three ways: in the gas, in the oil, and in the vaccum passages. Your engine problem sounds like it needs the vaccum solution...NICK tell us how you did it again?

ugh...another seafoam thread

for first time use, one WHOLE can into an intake vacuum tube/port.

w/ motor warm, slowly pour half the can in at idle.....and then flood it to kill the car...let sit for 15 mins

then restarts and pour in rest of can....then go floor the piss out of it w/ WOT runs till it quits smoking

enjoy a smoother engine.

Here is how to seafoam a TGP.

Buy two cans of seafoam.

Open BOTH cans and pour both into something like an old windex spray bottle (any spray bottle will work fine if it sprays well).

Remove your upper IC pipe (the one running from your intercooler to your throttle body).

Put on a glove of some kind for your hands, as this part can get HOT.

Start the engine and while it is running, spray lots of seafoam into the throttle body.

As you're doing so, take your gloved hand and open the throttle body by moving the linkage, give it just enough throttle to keep the engine running. The engine will stumble and want to die, but keep it running until it quits smoking out the rear of the car, or until the spraybottle of seafoam is almost gone.

Once you have reached this point, spray a lot of seafoam into the throttle body and let the engine die. Let the car sit for about 10 minutes.

Then, go drive the car and do some WOT runs until it quits smoking. (It should be done after one or two short runs).

Whatever Seafoam you have left, you can pour into your gastank. It says on the back of the can how much you can add per gallon of gas (I believe it is 2oz per gallon).

You can also put seafoam into your crankcase to clean up the crankcase. Read the back of the can to see how much to add, run the car for a bit, then change the oil and filter.

After seafoaming your car, you should change your engine oil and filter, along with your sparkplugs.

Enjoy having a smooth running machine!

Someone who is a mod should sticky this one.. since you have to do it differently on a TGP than other W-bodies.

Speaking of which, why is it that Jeff is still a mod when he has been gone for over a year?

Speaking of which, why is it that Jeff is still a mod when he has been gone for over a year?

There's a big thread about this in the TGP section. Supposedly he was going to be replaced but nothing has happened yet. :rolleyes:

This is an ongoing discussion among the moderators. It will be dealt with shortly.

This is an ongoing discussion among the moderators. It will be dealt with shortly.

There's nothing to discuss.

I would say yes. I used to have a 89 z24 cavalier that would die every time I stopped at a stop sign or stop light. I used Sea Foam in it three times in a row when filling and it kicked it right out of it. It never died after that, not even when the brand new Duramax Chevy ran the red light and t boned me. I miss that car, but o well Im a firm believer in Sea Foam.

Wasn't a gray 5 speed, was it?

• 2 weeks later...

I seafoamed today! Hardly smoked, but I can tell it's running better. I only used 1/3 the can cus it was my first time and was nervous (for lack of better word). And it's never been seafoamed before that. And it has 137000 miles. I was freaking out with it almost dying when I was putting it in there.

Sooo I'm probably gonna do some more in the near future.

And yeah, we need a seafoam sticky!

I recommend this for the sticky; it has a nice picture and everything.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=51185

Nick, is it possible to suck the seafoam through the vac line off the throttle body on a TGP, instead of using the spray bottle? My last experience with the Seafoam at the throttle body that way you suggested resulted in so much wasted Seafoam...it just dripped out of the spray bottle, and while the bottle's upside down (which it kinda needs to be to get any into the throttle), it tends to run out of pressure.

Nutshell: can you use a vac line on the throttle body for a TGP Seafoaming?

I can't believe there isn't a vac tube you can use.....what about the shift module vac line.....you don't need that vac line when in park.

Nick, is it possible to suck the seafoam through the vac line off the throttle body on a TGP, instead of using the spray bottle? My last experience with the Seafoam at the throttle body that way you suggested resulted in so much wasted Seafoam...it just dripped out of the spray bottle, and while the bottle's upside down (which it kinda needs to be to get any into the throttle), it tends to run out of pressure.

Nutshell: can you use a vac line on the throttle body for a TGP Seafoaming?

Other than the tranny vac line, no. You just need a good spray bottle that doesn't leak lol. :lol: I didn't waste any when I did mine.

Yeah but Cargod hates me, remember? LOL Damn that sucks though. Ok I guess whenever I feel like smoking up the trailer court and changing the oil I'll get some Seafoam. Damn, and I just put these plugs in a few months ago.

You mean the steel like that runs from the plenum down to the tranny where it becomes a rubber line and have nowhere to put the Seafoam bottle?