My 5.5 cyl International....fixed with seafoam believe it or not

GOT2B GM

This is on my 91 International that I just picked it up earlier tonight, drove it around, ran great.

Stopped in at my parents place. Shut the car off. Brought my Dad out to check it out. Fired it up, ran great, let it idle for 10 mins while we were talking.

Shut it off.

Went to leave an hour later, went to start it, it just cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks.

Checked timing belt - GOOD

Check injector fuses - GOOD

Check ECM / fuel pump fuses - GOOD

Gas tank is full. I just filled the damned thing.

Gotta check fuel pressure tomorrow, see if its spark or fuel that Im missing. With my luck it'll be either the fuel pump or the Crank position sensor.

Any suggestions?

Does the tach work while cranking? I believe if the crank sensor is out the tach should also not work.

I will check that tomorrow as well. The CPS on the LQ1 is a whorebag to get at too. :lol:

It better not be a CPS! I need your jack and stands this weekend, haha! My wheel bearings are getting worse.

I made a couple suggestions in your other thread that came to me while I was working my hands to the bone for TMI... listen for the fuel pump and check for spark. Is there any idiot lights on?

Jamie

No idiot lights. Im pretty sure I hear the pump run, but the PM3 accumulator pump runs at the same time, so its hard to tell.

I'm gonna throw my fuel pressure gauge on it tonight.

Or just grab a 194 bulb. Take the injector cover off, take off an injector connector, straighten the bulb's contacts and stick it in the injector connector and crank it over to see if the bulb blinks.

Good idea Jay.

Well, I went back to my parents house after work, and tried starting it and it fired up! Misfiring on one cylinder again though like it was when I first looked at it.

Soo...I checked fuel pressure 40 - 45 psi so thats good.

I removed the cooling fans so I could pull the coils out, and decided what the hell, Im gonna replace the CPS also.

Dropped the right side of the subframe like slick used to do it, and fought the alternator out. Did you know that the 3.4 auto CS sedans have an actual cooling fan for the alternator, not just a cooling duct? The fan is mounted up behind the front bumper on the pass side with a "hose like duct" running up to it.

I'm going to replace the alternator as well seeing as how I have it out.

Then I tackled the CPS itself. Got the 8mm bolt out and then started gently wiggling and prying and spinning the CPS to break it free. Then SNAP!! the bitch broke off in the block. Fast forward another 45 mins of me fucking around with needle nose pliers trying to pull it out and I had it out.

I also have to replace a rotten piece of that heater pipe from the water pump to the heater core. Gonna clamp a piece of heater hose in.

So thats where I left off, coils out, alt out, CPS out, heater pipe cut out.....

I must be a sucker for punishment.........

sounds like the sensor cracked and expanded inside its hole, am I right?

my 1993 z34 never had an alternator cooling fan, I think that was a 1991 only thing, the DOHC cars had some weird ass stuff in 91'

sounds like the sensor cracked and expanded inside its hole, am I right?

my 1993 z34 never had an alternator cooling fan, I think that was a 1991 only thing, the DOHC cars had some weird ass stuff in 91'

It was a real tight fit, so thats probably what happened. And I never knew a cooling fan for the alt ever existed.

91's are the only one to get the cooling fan, then they went to the cooling duct.

Damn! Nice work!

Thanks! Hopefully it pays off.

update: New CPS is in. New Alt is in. Heater hose clamped in. Everything in the wheelwell is put back together.

Just gotta pop the new coils in, and drop the cooling fans back in tomorrow.

Hopefully that does it.

will update later this weekend. #1 cylinder wasnt getting spark.

At least my W's run and drive hahaha

will update later this weekend. #1 cylinder wasnt getting spark.

At least my W's run and drive hahaha

Zing!

HAHA! Pwned.

Nice, that sucks though, being new to you and all.