My DIY coilover swap thread!!! Update: Got my springs in!!!

BXX

Well, after a phone call with A1Racing where they forgot to call and tell me the sleeves I ordered were outta stock, I was able to find out a few things

1- Held gets their sleeves and adjuster nuts from A1Racing

2- Held uses 5" sleeves that are a larger OD that what I though

3- Those 5" sleeves are cheaper than the ones I originally ordered and will be slightly loose enough to swap over onto new struts when needed

I should have the sleeves and adjuster nuts on Thrusday. I already have the QA1 springs from Summit. I need to order the ES spring isolators from Advance Auto, and I have my steel plate to do the mounts and I have almost completed them

FWIW Summit sells a 7" long threaded tube, if you can live with it being anodized blue I'd go with that. If you ever want to lift your car up to "stock" location you will not be able to do so without at least 7 inches of tube. I like to raise mine back up for winter...for $18.25 each.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=AFC-20134-7

Jamie

5"ers should be fine. I ran both of my GP's w/o a mount in between the coil and the stocker and I never had a spring unload. The only problem I had was the spring not seating perfect (a little creaking) when I would put the car on a lift. All I would have to do was turn the spring a little or just put it up and down a couple times and no creaking. That was moreso w/ my 91 than my 96. If you don't fell comfortable doing it that way, I don't blame you. I do think there is less of a problem that way than w/ the FFP coilovers, though. A helper spring would have eliminated the improper seating, though, I'm sure.