My DIY coilover swap thread!!! Update: Got my springs in!!!

BXX

Well, I knew for a bit my rear monoleaf isolators were about done for. Well now they are non-existant and my leaf spring is so worn its about to snap. Time for coilovers!!! :high5:

I contacted Lee (aka Held Motorsports) on his stage 1 setup w/o struts (mine are new and lifetime warrenty) and now I sent him an email wanting to buy a set asap.

Well, I hope to hear from him soon, hell, I even have paypal standing by to pay :lol:

Think i'm gonna need a RSTB as well.

oh, btw, I installed my new set of tires :biggrin: First new set I have ever had and these are the correct size for the rims I got off of Venom... Damn they ride pretty nice and the traction is much better. Plus they only cost me $250 for the set of 4 P225/55/17 97V's.

:high5:

what spring rate are you going with?

Umm, dunno. Havent put much thought into it. I was gonna go over it with Lee and see what he recommends for street/strip performance...

Gonna call him tomorrow. He replied to me earlier. Doesnt take paypal, but he take Visa and Mastercard. Works for me!! :high5: He said he can have them out to me by the end of the week. Hope the monoleaf lasts that long (it should.... should being the key word :lol:)

So what the stuff gonna cost you from them? If all you want is the hardware and springs, check out this stuff I priced a while ago when I was thinking about doing the swap also.

Springs:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HAL%2D12%2D250&N=700+303893+4294787535+4294791365+115&autoview=sku

$37.88 each

Coil over kit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AFC%2D20125A&N=700+115&autoview=sku

$51.25 each

So right there is $178.26 + tax. The kit even comes with a top spring seat which looks like you should be able to use to solve the spring resting against the mount that some other people are running when they build their own kit. Plus you can drive right over and pick that stuff up as opposed to waiting and paying shipping charges. The only concern I have is that the springs Afco sells for their coil overs are 2 5/8" and the QA1 springs are 2 1/2". Only an 1/8th" of difference though.

Just some food for thought.

Thats what I was about to look at. I just talked to Lee, he is still waiting on a component that he has someone laser cut, so the soonest is next week at $290. Well, just 30 minutes ago, I dropped $260 to have my GF's exhaust fixed :evil:

Soooo, I think I will have to go the DIY route.

Oh, btw Rob, I was gonna give you that old intake pipe of mine, but in all honesty since I did the 3" intake, I would not recommend installing my old 2.5" based off of how much much much better the car runs with the 3" compared to the 2.5". I no longer have the rough idle and almost like a miss coming off idle...

This is just my opinion, not based on owning Held coil overs, I know some people on here have the opposite opinion...

The problem with going the DIY route is the upper spring mounts. Yeah you can get generic upper mounts, but why? You might as well just do what others are doing and let the spring rest against the stock top mount. But like I have said before, just because it works for some people, doesn't make it right or safe. The way I look at it is if that spring comes unseated and sits off to the side, when and if it pops back into place it could be a violent pop.

Try to get a hold of Lee again and see if he will sell you just the upper mounts. I'm pretty sure that's what Kuntzie did.

Jamie

This is just my opinion, not based on owning Held coil overs, I know some people on here have the opposite opinion...

The problem with going the DIY route is the upper spring mounts. Yeah you can get generic upper mounts, but why? You might as well just do what others are doing and let the spring rest against the stock top mount. But like I have said before, just because it works for some people, doesn't make it right or safe. The way I look at it is if that spring comes unseated and sits off to the side, when and if it pops back into place it could be a violent pop.

Try to get a hold of Lee again and see if he will sell you just the upper mounts. I'm pretty sure that's what Kuntzie did.

Jamie

I totally see your point youre making. Personally Ive decided against it because spending that much money on my car just for adjustable rear suspension right now is pointless. Dont get me wrong, I love my CS and all, but its not going to be a track car or anything more than a DD. So the stock setup is fine for now.

I know about the upper spring mount issue. That is something I am looking into but actually isnt too difficult to figure out. You just have to utilize the upper perch that comes with the AFCO coilover sleeve kit.

I might call Lee a call about just the upper mounts. Honestly though, from what I got from him, the mounts are what he is waiting on. My monoleaf wont make it 2 and a half weeks. The ends are already over half the thickness that they should be in just under a week. :willynilly:

Im not buying the kit to make my car a track car, that is what F-bodies are for. I just want slightly better handling and a nice lowered look. Im a sucker for lowered cars.

Im not buying the kit to make my car a track car, that is what F-bodies are for. I just want slightly better handling and a nice lowered look. Im a sucker for lowered cars.

:lol:

Well, I ordered in the steel plate I need to make the custom mounts. Now I need the proper spring isolators from energy suspensions. Someone posted the part number and I cant find it by searching. Anyone remember??????? :willynilly:

I also ordered the QA1 300lb springs from Summit and the coilover tubes and adjuster nuts from A1Racing. Hopefullt I will have everything in soon so I can start on the mounts

I went with 6.5" w/ 2.100" id tubes and adjuster nuts for 2.5" id springs from AiRacing. Slightly different and cheaper than the kits I have seen in the lowering threads. My coils should be here sometime today :burnout: I love living only 30 miles from SummitRacing. The QA1 300lb springs were only $39/ea.

The steel for the mounts I will be fabbing should be here by next week. I gotta order the energy suspension spring islolators from Advance Auto tomorrow ($9.99 for both). I was able to figure out which ones I needed by the measurements off of Energy Suspensions website.

The mount I will be making will look just like this one

Well, my springs came in today from Summit.. Took a whopping 10 hours from the time I ordered them to the time they arrived at my door :high5:

lol, actually, It would only take me a little under and hour to drive there via what mapquest says :lol:

You suck.

Well, my springs came in today from Summit.. Took a whopping 10 hours from the time I ordered them to the time they arrived at my door :high5:

lol, actually, It would only take me a little under and hour to drive there via what mapquest says :lol:

You suck.

Quoting > You.

and you still suck :lol:

I bought the steel plate off of ebay :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220134423186&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012

Heres a crappy cell phone pic of them

Isn't living close to summit nice. I love getting my stuff next day without paying for next day.

I bought the steel plate off of ebay :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220134423186&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012

Heres a crappy cell phone pic of them

Isn't living close to summit nice. I love getting my stuff next day without paying for next day.

Yup, I almost clicked for next day shipping, then I realized it would come next day no matter what :lol:

BTW, why is ohiocustoms site down??

Dont be jealous when my CS is sitting lower than yours :lol:

wish my CS was one color though

Lower than this?

IMG_0789.jpg

Hmmm, those rims and tires look familiar... oh wait, they are in the next room, haha

Kuntzies TGP FTW... now just if it could drive like that! lol

How low are you planning to go?

Jamie