So, I'm replacing the top on my car this week.......

ManicMechanic

I'm taking the entire top frame, top and well liner off my parts car this week and putting it on my project. Both cars are 1994s and both have black tops. But my question is, because I don't have an air compressor or access to one, what type of stapler did you use and staples? Where did you get it?

LOL...Well, I just know production and specific parts....This is new to me.

I'll do my best to have a shipping quote by mid-week, Matt.

You want to use stainless staples .If I remember rigt there are 2 sizes 1/4 inch and I want to say 3/16th . You may find that the top you are going to put on from the parts car will be to small on your good car. When you undo the top cables and top from the car the old top will relax a bit . You will have to do a lot of pulling to get it on and in place. How old is the top on your parts car?

It was put on barely 3 months ago. The top on my project car is supposedly the original, but I've found evidence that it has been replaced.

I believe the only 1/4" staples are on the well liner, you're going to be looking at 3/8"-1/2" stainless. I plan on trying a new arrow electric stapler when I do mine but I haven't tried it yet so can't let you know yet. When you pull the top make notes of what size staples are where.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced my top on a '92 that I had back in 1998. Used a Black & Decker Powershot stapler (manual), and found monel staples at Home Depot. I looked, but could never find stainless steel staples. Monel is a more expensive alloy than stainess and won't corrode. Took me about 28 hours total. Not that difficult, just take your time and read your Helm manual. The GM convertible top manual is good to watch. I also found another video of a convertible top replacement that was for an older Mustang. Principles are basically the same, so seeing somebody else do it helps alot.

Good Luck

David

'92 convertible (RIP)

'94 convertible - bright aqua metallic 61,000 miles.