L-67 Swap

EviLette

I was waiting for someone to link a pic of a motor fire. I'll keep an extinguisher on hand, IF I do it. I'm still mulling over my options, remember?

Bottom line is this: I absolutely DESPISE my 3.1. Maybe 3100s are better, but I'm running a 1st gen with a slow ass 3.1. Not only slow, I'm just tired of dealing with the motor. Not like motor problems left and right, but this car is on it's THIRD. In my mind that says car (or driver) needs more power to stop toasting them.

IMO if you are going to do a swap, go with the 3800. S/C or N/A, both are great!

No replacement for displacement.

Don't be scared to do the swap because you haven't done it before.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

And there are plenty of people here that would help you out.

Just make sure you have plenty of money, time and the right tools.

And an extra ride to get yourself around while you do the swap.

I will buy a POS beater to drive while its being done.

I do not have the tools. I live in a 3rd floor apartment with a carport to park in. I dont have a swing, a lift, a garage, let alone a set of jackstands. Everything I HAD got removed from my posession when my mother decided to rent out the place I'd lived for the last 16 years. Everything is gone now.

I've got the money to do it, at least I'm farily sure I can. But come on.. half the time I'm not even strong enough to break loose lugnuts on my wheels. How am I supposed to crack subframe bolts?

I can maintain my car. For the most part. I've done the alternator, fuel filters, oil changes, maintain fluids, and I can do my brakes and such on my own. If I'm strong enough to brake bolts loose. Which I'm not, and even moreso now since I haven't done anything physical.

Bah.

So I guess its out of the question. Can someone lock this thread please?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EviLette

• Euro

• MonteCarloDude

• 93CutlassSupreme

I was waiting for someone to link a pic of a motor fire. I'll keep an extinguisher on hand, IF I do it. I'm still mulling over my options, remember?

Bottom line is this: I absolutely DESPISE my 3.1. Maybe 3100s are better, but I'm running a 1st gen with a slow ass 3.1. Not only slow, I'm just tired of dealing with the motor. Not like motor problems left and right, but this car is on it's THIRD. In my mind that says car (or driver) needs more power to stop toasting them.

\

Something else is wrong if you are on your third 3.1. Being the owner of one i am happy with it and have had no out of the normal wear and tear problems.

Something else is wrong if you are on your third 3.1. Being the owner of one i am happy with it and have had no out of the normal wear and tear problems.

I am going to have to x2 this.

The 2.8/3.1 engine has to be one of the most reliable powerplants I have ever seen. I have personally owned two 3.1s and one 2.8 and I love them. Never had any problems with any of them. My 2.8 is currently running at 221,600 FLAWLESS miles and running excellent.

I am going to have to x2 this.

The 2.8/3.1 engine has to be one of the most reliable powerplants I have ever seen.

x3.

I'm going to totally agree on the 2.8/3.1 being damn reliable, in fact one of the most reliable modern (well, atleast fuel injected) pushrod V6's in the last 20 years. They are virtually indestructible.

my first GP (89 LE 3.1) went through three 3.1L engines before I put it out of it's misery at 150k mi :shrug:

There is a problem.

I'm not satisfied with bone stock 3.1. And I'm rather nervous about attempting any mods myself because this is my ONLY car. Plus, lack of tools... and the fact that if I get in trouble, there isn't a single person I know that can come and help me through the problem. You guys here.. but if I'm working on my car, it's definitely not going to be outside my apartment. They frown on that here.

So yeah. My 2 cents and the reason I talk about taking it somewhere to have it done.

I'm not a damn mechanic. >.< I'm nowhere close to being one.

The only problem with the 2.8/3.1 is that they can't get up out of their own way...

The manual ones are much less gutless than the autos

The only problem with the 2.8/3.1 is that they can't get up out of their own way...

yes that is true in these boats anyway! But do a little bit of head work to them and they wake up!

I want a 5-speed. I'm trying to convince my mechanic that it's doable, just need a donor car with the parts and everything should bolt in/up without too much of a hassle. Granted, thats me saying this having never visually SEEN it done, just from what I've read on here.

yes that is true in these boats anyway! But do a little bit of head work to them and they wake up!

Head work, you say? I must consider this. Somewhere down the line. I admit the 3.1, though gutless, is reliable. I'm sure I've mentioned more than once that when I bought the car, and up to 2.5 years later when I finally swapped out the motor, it had been running on a solid 8 lbs of oil pressure.. under load... I was hoping it was the gauge or the sending unit/sensor something of that nature... Ended up being the motor just really had that low of pressure. But it still ran.

I really should give the 3.1 more credit, it is a very reliable motor. It's just so slOOOOOWWWWWW.

I want a 5-speed. I'm trying to convince my mechanic that it's doable, just need a donor car with the parts and everything should bolt in/up without too much of a hassle. Granted, thats me saying this having never visually SEEN it done, just from what I've read on here.

Head work, you say? I must consider this. Somewhere down the line. I admit the 3.1, though gutless, is reliable. I'm sure I've mentioned more than once that when I bought the car, and up to 2.5 years later when I finally swapped out the motor, it had been running on a solid 8 lbs of oil pressure.. under load... I was hoping it was the gauge or the sending unit/sensor something of that nature... Ended up being the motor just really had that low of pressure. But it still ran.

I really should give the 3.1 more credit, it is a very reliable motor. It's just so slOOOOOWWWWWW.

yep, the 3100 has better top end then the 3.1, and my car falls on its face past 5000ish RPM, :lol: but with some valvetrain work and a 3400 top end swap with some head work it can be fixed. :biggrin:

I have a set of heads waiting to be bolted on my 3.1, but I am going to dyno the car first, and after bolting them on as well as some after track times! The nice thing about bolting ported (3.1L) heads on is that you can take them to almost any shop and say I want my head gaskets replaced, but put these heads back on! I am hoping to get high 15's out of my car with just a mild set of heads then high 14's with a better set of heads and some other work.

All of this work talking about the 3.1/3100....and you'll still be in the 16's.

At least he won't have to worry about detonation and engine fires.

All of this work talking about the 3.1/3100....and you'll still be in the 16's.

a 3100 with a good PCM, mild head work, and P&P 3400 UIM and LIM, and a nice FWI should be in the high 15's, IIRC a 3100 W-body runs mid to high 16's

None that I've seen with pretty extensive "mods," like the ones you've mentioned have hit 15's. Fastest 3100 I've ever seen was 16.1

im just taking a guess at how fast it would be. :lol: i know the heads and UIM and LIM blow hard on these car's, i cant wait to do a 3400 top swap. my guess would be, it would hit high 15's with a few good mod's.

we need BIGBULS to chime in, BIGBULS, pageing Dr.BIGBULS. :lol:

even with a 5spd, they are still pretty fucking gutless....

even with a 5spd, they are still pretty fucking gutless....

This'll solve that problem.

nosbottle.jpg