L-67 Swap

EviLette

I'm a n00b. Who here has done it? On what? And how good of luck have you had with doing it? Been mulling over in my mind doing that instead of buying a trans/am. Just want some input.

Riddled with problems and dillemas, and what of reliability? would it be any less reliable being in a 1-st gen then in the original car it came from?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EviLette

• Euro

• MonteCarloDude

• 93CutlassSupreme

It's a pretty streaight forward swap...

Personally, I'd build a 60* V6 though...

And I'm one to talk, as an L67 is going in my van but it has a 3800 already.

I dont know enough to build my own motor, lol. Flat out. If i went to a shop like an idiot asking those questions, they would gouge me for sure. This way, I at least have some inkling of an idea about what is going to be happening.

I know, it's lame. I'm lame. But I love my car lol.

meh, if you love your car your not lame. :wink: but anyways, as far as i know the big PITA about a L67 swap is the wireing, IIRC someone makes a prewired harness that makes it plug and play. :smile:

meh, if you love your car your not lame. :wink: but anyways, as far as i know the big PITA about a L67 swap is the wireing, IIRC someone makes a prewired harness that makes it plug and play. :smile:

That would be freaking sweet. I was wondering about costs that it would be to have to go through all the wiring and such, and wondering how much of a cost that would end up being with mechanics charging per/hour for that shit... totally understandable. I've never had any wiring problems with the car, nothing electrical so if someone DOES make a plug-play that would be awesome.

On my list of things to do tomorrow is to get a couple quotes from people on having it done. This has been rolling over in my head since I started looking at new cars.. and honestly... the more I think about getting a new car the more I realize I don't want to go through tie rods, ball joints, suspension, ac/compressors, all the shit that I've just done with this one I've got now. I figure a fresh motor for her would be breathing new life. <shrug>

but anyways, as far as i know the big PITA about a L67 swap is the wireing, IIRC someone makes a prewired harness that makes it plug and play. :smile:

That would be Brian Teel, I believe.

I figure a fresh motor for her would be breathing new life. <shrug>

i could not agree with you more, i am thinking about doing a 3400 build for the monte.

but anyways, as far as i know the big PITA about a L67 swap is the wireing, IIRC someone makes a prewired harness that makes it plug and play. :smile:

ahh, yes i think your right.

Yeah, I made his write-up a favorite. :) Gonna go check into that over there, see if i can find anything out.

Yeah, I made his write-up a favorite. :) Gonna go check into that over there, see if i can find anything out.

good luck, keep us updated if you do the swap. :biggrin:

Meh, it will happen eventually. I may just spend the money I had planned to buy a t/a with to just finish the work on the GP... I figure I'll still spend less doing that, lol. Been mulling it over, weighing out the pro's and cons of each situation.

Though if I do the l67 swap, won't most of the front end work I've done be worthless? At least CVs.. but who knows. I read some but I'm still partially clueless and need to do discussions with mechanics while examining the beastie on a lift. LOL

I will keep my opinions of the L67 to myself. I would any day build a 60* motor over the l67. but thats me.

Yeah...building a 3.1 to run low 16's instead of building an L67 and run 13's with less money

I will keep my opinions of the L67 to myself. I would any day build a 60* motor over the l67. but thats me.

Yeah...building a 3.1 to run low 16's instead of building an L67 and run 13's with less money

???

Spend more money building the 3.1

Spend less money to put in l67, run same times?

Or am I really just utterly confused by that statement? LOL

I was just referring to the statement of "I'd rather build a 60* motor than an L67." Build a 3100 for example...spend X amount of money on it to not even break out of the high 15's. Spend half that on modding an L67 and you're high/mid 13's.

I was just referring to the statement of "I'd rather build a 60* motor than an L67." Build a 3100 for example...spend X amount of money on it to not even break out of the high 15's. Spend half that on modding an L67 and you're high/mid 13's.

I was hoping that was what you meant...

The biggest part of it for me... I can't help but find the Series II 3800 "Supercharged" one of the sexiest things to open a hood and see. I don't know why, I just do. <shrug>

That... and the damn car has eaten three 3.1's (Car, or driver? lol)

The biggest part of it for me... I can't help but find the Series II 3800 "Supercharged" one of the sexiest things to open a hood and see. I don't know why, I just do. <shrug>

i got a few pic's of some nice L67's on my myspace, god i have not checked on my myspace in a long time. :lol: well anyways here it is if you want to check out some pics.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=205464992

:rolleyes:

You can build a 60* ( 2000+ 3100 or 3400/3500 ) to run with an L67 for the cost of an L67 swap.

I've got a 3.1, so that's out. The only way I would build up a 60* is if I had a 5 speed to air up with it.. 3400 seems do-able, but 3.1/3100 just seems weaksauce to put that kind of money into. B'sides, maybe I like big motors? (Not that a 3800 is HUGE or anything... but still much more impressive than a 3100.. its about sound too, imho.)

I thought about doing an L67 swap, and if my LQ1 ever kills itself, thats what will be going in. But for now, my mind is set on building up the LQ1. Going to be a bigger learning curve for me, but the L67 swap seems to be the swap everyone does, but a built (and turbo'd) LQ1, now the people that have done that in w-bodies, I could probably count on 1 hand, that I know of at least.

Brian Teel used to do full swaps, he'd get the motor and all that ready to go, you go spend a few days with him doing the swap and presto... Q-ball was going to do that before he bought his house. I don't know if Brian still offers that up to people or not. And I can't remember his price.

Jamie

would it be any less reliable being in a 1-st gen then in the original car it came from?

Nope, cause 96 buicks got the 3800 series 2. In the first gen!

I thought about doing an L67 swap, and if my LQ1 ever kills itself, thats what will be going in. But for now, my mind is set on building up the LQ1. Going to be a bigger learning curve for me, but the L67 swap seems to be the swap everyone does, but a built (and turbo'd) LQ1, now the people that have done that in w-bodies, I could probably count on 1 hand, that I know of at least.

Brian Teel used to do full swaps, he'd get the motor and all that ready to go, you go spend a few days with him doing the swap and presto... Q-ball was going to do that before he bought his house. I don't know if Brian still offers that up to people or not. And I can't remember his price.

Jamie

Yeah, Im butt poor now. I believe Brian Teel was doing the swaps for 1200 - 1500. Fathead has also down some L67 swaps and he priced me i think 700-800 to do it. Dont get me wrong, but BT can get the harness, which is from a monte carlo I think and it makes it plug and play. I was ready to drop about 4000 on the swap with some minor mods to get me started. :twisted:

The one thing to remember is that the '92 is OBD-I, and ANY L67 is OBD-II. It will be more involved, wiring-wise, than a car that had an L67 already in it. Since I HATE wiring, I'm not the guy to talk to, but Brian Teel is knowledgable about this, and could probably help you out anyways.

Good luck...I like my L67 Cutty!