L-67 Swap

EviLette

:rolleyes:

You can build a 60* ( 2000+ 3100 or 3400/3500 ) to run with an L67 for the cost of an L67 swap.

I agree. I also want to keep this on topic so I will keep my mouth shut.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EviLette

• Euro

• MonteCarloDude

• 93CutlassSupreme

its about sound too, imho.

If that's the case, then I have no idea why you'd want to go to a 90*, they sound horrible IMO, at least compared to the 60*s. I can't think of any 90* that I've liked the sound of.

If that's the case, then I have no idea why you'd want to go to a 90*, they sound horrible IMO, at least compared to the 60*s. I can't think of any 90* that I've liked the sound of.

Once again, you're talking to someone who has a 60* that has eaten THREE motors.

I might spring for a 3.4 dohc swap instead out of a GP or something, maybe that would be simpler... but I would HAVE to find the manual tranny for it.

Still, the main topic of this post has yet to be addressed... I saw one person up here say he'd done it.. but I don't know that his cutty is a 1st gen. IDK. Going out to talk to some wrenches about it today.. along with tires and alignment and tie rod. YAY! lol

Once again, you're talking to someone who has a 60* that has eaten THREE motors.

I guess I don't understand what that has to do with how it sounds? :thinking: I mean I'm all for you swapping, but IMO they don't sound good at all.

3800's DO sound horrible, if you put an aftermarket exhaust on them. My buddy Zach has headers, DP, high flo cat, stock mufflers and piping, and the same SLP tips I have and it sounds awesome at any rpm range.

I will keep my opinions of the L67 to myself. I would any day build a 60* motor over the l67. but thats me.

Yeah...building a 3.1 to run low 16's instead of building an L67 and run 13's with less money

3500 swap should be good for high 14's just swaping it in. works on the 3.1 computer too! might eat trannys though. I know of a guy running a stock 3500 in a bretta w a 3spd auto first run out it ran 14.8.

I have a 3500 that I might swap in my lumina for more power and if these gas prices keep going up!

They do sound like shit with aftermarket exhaust. I’m about to put stock mufflers back on mine.

If you’re not mechanically inclined, I would not bother doing anything major to your car if you can’t do it yourself. That’s where I made my mistake. I would have saved myself over 2 grand and tons of headaches not having to constantly rely on other people all the time when something went wrong. When you do a swap like this, nothing goes 100% smooth unless you yourself have done the same thing to the same car a few times. It’s these little things you will run into that can drive you insane.

IMO, I chose the L67 because anything that can be done to a 60*, can be done to an L36/67 with the same gains at a similar cost. There’s more aftermarket and more support for these engines. The L67 may be played out to fuck, and I know everyone’s answer to every problem is the boat anchor (bad CTS? fuck it! L67!). But when I decided to go that route, I wasn’t concerned with my forums approval rating of me and my mods. I was still 1 of 2 in NJ with this swap that’s known of, maybe ill give it 5 tops that aren’t.

I spent about 2000 on my swap (just engine, trans, and parts) for a ~100hp upgrade over my 3100. While 100hp can be had for less than that on 60*, I now still haven’t even touched my motor and I’m making the same power as the modded 60*. What happens when I put another 2000 into my motor? Low 12s easy. $4,000 for 12s aint bad to me, I don’t know about anyone else.

Some expert opinions here on the L67.

First off Fiero FTW!!! Second off, I hope you aren't serious.. I read the first page, which is about how long it took me to realize that it was Aaron spouting off about the L67/L36.. I immediately closed the window..

I still don't understand the hating on the l36/l67.. :dunno: I absolutely hate my 3100.. The 3800 is a million times better in terms of reliability, performance, and fuel mileage..

Actually the 3800 and 3100 are different in mileage. I saw better mileage with my 3.1 than I do with my L36.

Hmm.. That is very interesting.. My 3100 gets about 17 city and 25 highway.. My 3800 gets ~23 city and between 27 and 30 highway.. :dunno:

I spent about 2000 on my swap (just engine, trans, and parts) for a ~100hp upgrade over my 3100. While 100hp can be had for less than that on 60*, I now still haven’t even touched my motor and I’m making the same power as the modded 60*. What happens when I put another 2000 into my motor? Low 12s easy. $4,000 for 12s aint bad to me, I don’t know about anyone else.

add boost to a 60* and you will see the same results! L36/L67 are not bad engines I am just not a fan of working on them lol. if I had the $ I would get a newer gp and do a turbo on it for a nice daily driver, but then again if I had the $ I would start with a RWD car!

:rolleyes:

You can build a 60* ( 2000+ 3100 or 3400/3500 ) to run with an L67 for the cost of an L67 swap.

maybe to run with a stock l67, I am a big of a fan of the 60* engines as almost anyone and I don't think the L67 swap is the answer to everything like some people do...

....but let's be real.....when it comes to bang for the buck the L67 swap is really hard to compete with in these cars.....now if I were going to do a swap into a 1G I would probably want a turbo L36

Some expert opinions here on the L67.

LOL at linking to an Aaron post. That guy may know his stuff about the 3.4, but is a total asshat.

I was trying to be sarcastic because I'm tired of hearing about L67 swaps.

Well then stay out of the threads designated TO L67 swaps........

Another plus for the L36/L67 is no piston slap!

or timing belts....hell-in-a-handbasket alternator jobs...etc etc etc

hmm..my 3.1 got anywhere from 20-24 in the city and 30-36 on the highway. I see 19-21 with my GP and 25-32

Completely agree 100%

After driving a 92 Lumi and going to a 02 GP.

The 3100 in the 96 Beretta that I had was worse in mileage than the 3.1 and 3800.

IMO if you are going to do a swap, go with the 3800. S/C or N/A, both are great!

No replacement for displacement.

Don't be scared to do the swap because you haven't done it before.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

And there are plenty of people here that would help you out.

Just make sure you have plenty of money, time and the right tools.

And an extra ride to get yourself around while you do the swap.