How to run a boost guage

Psych0matt

No clue, never had a turbo before, nor do I have experience with aftermarket guages :lol: Do I need to mount a new sensor, or do I use the stock one? I was told that running the wires while the engine is out is the best time to do it, but I need to know what to do before I can plan to do it.

Matt, the easiest way is to remove the plug on the rear of the intake manifold where the brake booster hose would attach to on the naturally aspirated cars. The plug back there is a "pipe" type plug, so you'll need a male pipe plug socket to remove it. Like this:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/sk03221.html

I forget what size socket you'll need for the fitting. I know I have it thrown amongst a bunch of spare bolts, fittings, etc. from various car projects. When I find it, I'll let you know what size you need. The threaded fitting in the intake is 3/8'' NPT in size. For my boost gauge that I bought, I needed to buy an adapter fitting(home depot, lowes, etc. has them in the plumbing department) in order to put it in the manifold. The adapter fitting I purchased was 3/8'' NPT that reduces to 1/8'' NPT. I ran my vacuum line that came with the gauge(hard plastic line) through the grommet around the master cylinder area. You may need a different adapter depending on what your boost gauge comes with. I put teflon tape on the threaded fittings by the way.

That adapter fitting looked like this for reference.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/bushingthreaded.gif

I made my own tool by grinding the head of a bolt down to that square shape, and then putting jam nuts on the bolt for something to wrench on. Worked good.

IMG_0892.jpg

I have my BOV and boost gauge running from that port.

you can use the square end on a tap and dye set. Jeff M gave me the tip back in the day.

just dont use compression fittings with that white line. it melts and leaks. that kind is for water. like the one pictured.

just use rubber vacutite fittings or any rubber HELP fittings on your brass elbows from the hardware store. brass barbs work good with rubber elbows.

I am done with boost gauges though, stock gauge is satisfactory. I just use that vac source for BOVs and use that stainless braid toilet line from the hardware store to run to the bov on the upper charge pipe and a DSM 1G bov. it will blow your hair back. quite a blast of air! the ONLY bov to get for a TGP!

• 2 weeks later...

2056262_207.jpg

here you go krenzy. I like this location because you can see the valve moving in there. the things a blast! haha. :mrgreen:

invasion 1 sold it to me a few years back and I finally got it welded on. we made sure it was not above the plenum so the hood shuts over it.

• 4 weeks later...