• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BXX

• AWeb80

• Hairdo12

• 1990lumina

my dad has a small right-angle impact...(not sure of teh correct name)

I used that on the inside nut and a boxed wrench on the outside....I let the wrench wedge against teh ground and they popped right off.

back to OG topic, my trailing arms are getting pc'ed! Boy, I have acquired over $1500.00 in parts, when I put it all at the car at once, it'll be nuts! And it's all suspension!

Well, after doing some measurments, I was able to order in Energy Suspension Poly bushings for the custom set of trailing arms that I will make. The GMPP's are going on tomorrow and will be temporary. I will then sell them when I have the custom set finished...

WOOT!!! 4130 Chromoly steel, 1" main link diameter and ES poly bushings... Light and strong as hell :twisted:

Your on the top of the list...

But if all goes well, I might be able to sell some sets of the custom ones I will be doing. I thought some more about it, I wanna keep the cost below $100 a set. Those might interest you some more... I will be taking measurements tomorrow when the car is up in the air for lateral links as well... Of course, I want the cost to stay at or below the $100 mark as well... I really dont and wont make much of nothing off of them, but it will make it easier from someone to start seriously working on their suspension..

Man, lots to do tomorrow..

1-Install 2 balljoints, 2 inner and 2 outer tie rods

2-Install rear GMPP arms

3-Align

4-Measure and make templates for RSTB and FSTB

5-Measure and finalize design for lateral links

6-Find out what bushings I will need for lateral links and order them

7-Measure for custom front and rear strut mounts

8-Send all measurements to my father for him to start the solid modelling

8 things, but I have about 10 hours :willynilly: :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot... I gotta go talk to the welder :lol:

Oh, I also wonder what y'all will think of a tubular front K-frame :willynilly:

Another thing I will be discussing with the welder/fabricator as well

Yeah a Tube subframe would be interesting except it gets trumped by the aluminum subframe. I am wondering if Gen1's can wear them seeing that people are putting 3800's in Gen1's and we know they are putting 3800's in Monte's. In other words. Same mounts. To get a tube subframe... would you not need tube diameter to equal the strength of the original subframe or better?

I'm not familiar with tube strength requirements but I can only wonder if techniques of designing roll cages can be applied here.

Oh, I also wonder what y'all will think of a tubular front K-frame :willynilly:

Another thing I will be discussing with the welder/fabricator as well

Yeah a Tube subframe would be interesting except it gets trumped by the aluminum subframe. I am wondering if Gen1's can wear them seeing that people are putting 3800's in Gen1's and we know they are putting 3800's in Monte's. In other words. Same mounts. To get a tube subframe... would you not need tube diameter to equal the strength of the original subframe or better?

I'm not familiar with tube strength requirements but I can only wonder if techniques of designing roll cages can be applied here.

A chromoly tube k-frame tends to be lighter and stronger than an aluminum subframe. Not to meantion looks better and control arm mounts can be changed to help retain control arm angle from lowering a car.

And Gen 1's CANNOT use one... Control arms are soooo very different, along with the K-frame mounts. It would take a lot of time to modify one to make it fit.

Well ... if your swapping the subframe then no doubt the connecting parts should follow like control arms, strut towers... yadda yadda....

Well the subrame mounts are nowhere near the same. So its just not possible

k, well here are some crappy phone pics of everything. I didnt take any pics of the new balljoints and tie rods cause well all know what those look like :lol:

fronttrailingarmmount.jpg

fronttrailingarmmount2.jpg

reartrailingarmmount.jpg

broketrailingarm.jpg

broketrailingarm2.jpg

The rear bolts came out fine with the impact, and the fronts came off just fine with my ratcheting wrenches, but the pass side sleeve froze...

SNAP-ON AIR HAMMER FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

airhammer.jpg

Oh yeah, another thing. No more false triggering of GM's craptastic ABS system... I removed the rear wheel speed harnesses that go from the hub assembly to the body. When I do all new brake lines, I will be running a non-abs master cylinder with a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve

I just bought a cheapie Powermate, waiting for it to break. It hasn't yet, I use it for a LOT.

Air hammers rule... I heard from so many mechanics the the Snap On air hammer is the only good Snap On air tool, and that is is soooo much better than any other air hammer. The bolt was completely seized and only a 5 second pull of the trigger sent to bolt flying out over 20 feet :willynilly:

it scared the hell outta out master tech in the bay next to me :lol:

Where is the isolator pad under the mono leaf?

Its a w-body... so little bits are sitting all over the roads in Ohio :lol:

Im not messing with them since I will be going with coilovers very very soon

Well on another note. Im kinda peeved right now. The energy suspension bushings I ordered in through AutoZone for a set of trailing arms I am going to make arent gonna work out... They were the closes to the measurements I needed. Sooo, now I gotta rework some things and go from there as far as finding some bushings

you wouldn't happen to have the part #'s for the gmpp rear trailing arms and lateral links for a '91 Lumina Z34 would you? i would like to replace mine as well. (not that they are bad), but would like to start upgrading some stuff.

so you are happy with your gmpp purchase? i have never gotten anything from them, but sounds like the experience and products you received was very good.

The GMPP arms, no not off hand... I will post them tomorrow...

The lateral links are stock. You could upgrade to the 97-03 design that is also adjustable for toe. I can get the pn's as well. I will be making tubular trailing arms AND lateral links since the stock 97-03 still kinda sucks even though they can be a nice cheap improvement.

I am happy with the GMPP arms. Hell, they rear end feels much more solid, and that is compared to before the stock arm broke and was still rock solid.

BTW, a little info, all rear suspension links from 88-03 are interchangeable. The GMPP arms are actuall listed for 97-03

The GMPP arms, no not off hand... I will post them tomorrow...

The lateral links are stock. You could upgrade to the 97-03 design that is also adjustable for toe. I can get the pn's as well. I will be making tubular trailing arms AND lateral links since the stock 97-03 still kinda sucks even though they can be a nice cheap improvement.

I am happy with the GMPP arms. Hell, they rear end feels much more solid, and that is compared to before the stock arm broke and was still rock solid.

BTW, a little info, all rear suspension links from 88-03 are interchangeable. The GMPP arms are actuall listed for 97-03

ok great, thanks. i will go check it out then. i am gonna go with the 97-03 lateral links to. nice to have access to the toe adjustment if needed. and good to know about the interchangeability as well. if you happen to get those #'s i would appreciate it. just as a failsafe to ordering the wrong thing. thanks again.

and i'm glad you are happy with them too.

are those tires fuzion HRIs in the back,. i have never ween them run yet on a W?

Yup, and Fuzion HRI's on the front too :lol:

Something wrong with them??? When I bought the car last summer they were put on the day before I drove it off the dealer lot...

They are actually made by Goodyear in an overseas plant...

are those tires fuzion HRIs in the back,. i have never ween them run yet on a W?

Something wrong with them??? When I bought the car last summer they were put on the day before I drove it off the dealer lot...

actually Firestone/Bridgestone

I have the ZRi's and LOve them.....they are ranked way better than F1's.

actually Firestone/Bridgestone

I have the ZRi's and LOve them.....they are ranked way better than F1's.

Sorry, I was told by my tire manager at work that Goodyear makes them in their Thailand plant.. He's been in the tire business for 34 years so I am simply going by what he says...

Honestly, I think they are a cheap ass excuse for a tire. They are on there since they were brand new and I intend on getting other rims which these obviously wont fit.

Oh yeah, they balance like ass and have horrible lateral runout... Radial runout is withing noticable tolerances..