Trailing Arm Broke... Now With Pics!!! page 3

BXX

Well, I though one of my new strut mounts already took a crap the other day. Finally got it on a lift at work, and of course, one of the trailing arms snapped...

Damn, I wish it woulda happened next week, then I could get a set through Held Motorsports. But it cant wait, so for now I ordered in a set of GMPP Trailing Arms... $47 and they will deliver them to the shop where I work in a few days....

Bolts arent all rotted, so it should be an easy job. I'll get pics for those of you who love pics :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BXX

• AWeb80

• Hairdo12

• 1990lumina

what are you doing cornering at 120 mph with a w body, do you have a deth wish, I've driven easily over 130, but that was a straight line, I wouldnt dare take corners, I like my legs, lol :bonk:

Cut the bolts and put new ones in.

Done.

Umm, the old bolts are not rusted... Why cut something that doesnt need it...

Anyway, I have a IR2135TIMAX impact gun that says it isnt scared of any bolts on my car. And for those of you who know what this impact gun is, you will understand.

I bet the front bolts will be rusted to the steel sleeve inside the bushing.

Both my TGP and vert, which are both southern cars, had this problem when I went to replace the trailing arms.

2068.jpg

Exactly!!! Pretty much the best impact on the market. period..

They might be siezed in the sleeves, but even what I can see of the sleeve shows no rust. Only the trailing arm is rusted bad... Either way, we had acetylene torches which will make the bolt easy to get outta the sleeve... My CS is a North Carolina car, so not soo much rust at this point, but the A/C is obviously junk... :lol:

I'm waiting for the trailing arms to snap on the Lumina - there are like chunks of metal breaking off of them lol

thats dangerous

Yeah there will be pictures of my rear suspension parts and wheels all over the road in the coming weeks. No seriously I know it's bad but it's been this way around a year and they just got pounded to shit this winter so I'm sure if they haven't broke by now they'll be okay for a few more weeks until I license the Sentra - Lumina has too many issues. Suspension, motor, etc.

what are you doing cornering at 120 mph with a w body, do you have a deth wish, I've driven easily over 130, but that was a straight line, I wouldnt dare take corners, I like my legs, lol :bonk:

It was a mild corner. The car went on to a terminal velocity of 147mph.

The only good thing a bigger impact is good for is ruining bigger fasteners.

Ummm, 1inch drive impacts are great for removing semi lugnuts. And yes, ive done it before...

When it comes to the front nut on the trailing arm, how do you guys get an impact in there? My rocker panel comes down too low and its impossible to get any type of socket extension in there. On thing that'll fit is a socket and my short breaker bar because it has a narrow head. Can you attack the bolt from the other side instead of the nut? I always thought the bolt was splined.

When it comes to the front nut on the trailing arm, how do you guys get an impact in there? My rocker panel comes down too low and its impossible to get any type of socket extension in there. On thing that'll fit is a socket and my short breaker bar because it has a narrow head. Can you attack the bolt from the other side instead of the nut? I always thought the bolt was splined.

Yeah, it doesn't look like theres much room up in there.

You gotta have the right tools, then its not an issue..

And I got the GMPP arms in today... Much much beefier than I originally thought... I dont think I will switch to Held trailing arms at a later date.. The GMPP bars look more beefy than really needed.

I gotta install them on Thrusday, along with new balljoint, tie rods inner and outer. So I will also have pics of loose tie rod and balljoint carnage :lol: