You Have Got to be Kidding Me!

Fleeingpepper

Saturday was the first day I put the top down in a loong time. It went down just fine, but I thought it was sitting a little high after going down, so I pushed it down a little. That's never caused any problems before. Doubt it caused this, but JIC.

So I put it up and it goes 90% of the way up just fine, then I hear a "rrrrrrr" sound from the left rear (I think) and it moves very slowly if not at all. I eventually pulled enough for the latches to make it. Put it back down to drive home later and it went down without a problem. I parked it in my garage with the top down.

Today was cold so I back it into my driveway and tried to put the top up. Again it went 90% of the way fine. Then it made that sound, went slow, then stopped with about 5% to go. Maybe less. I try pushing and pulling to get the latches to make it, but they didn't. I put it down a little, then back up to see if it would make it. It didn't. Eventually with enough leaning and pushing the latches made it, but the middle the seal wasn't even touching the car yet.

Why would this be? What's my problem? I know there's a tiny leak in my pump, but the fluid is a bit overfilled, so that shouldn't be the problem. Would the cylinder be bad? Even if it makes it 90% up with no problem? And how do you visually inspect the cylinders? What exactly do they look like and where are they?

Depending on how cold it is that could be your problem. The top shrinks and stiffens in cold weather and although your hydraulics are maxed out (the noise your hearing) the cold top prevents the frame from extending all the way. Try putting it in a heated garage for a while and try it again.

Really!?

I would've never thought of that! That's somewhat astounding.

Too bad my garage isn't heated. But yes, the cold definitely did that. I'm 95% sure.

It was icing and beginning to snow when I was putting it up, and the garage had been up for some time because I had been working on some stuff in there.

"If it's cold enough to numb your hands, it's too cold to put up the top." That's gonna be my new rule.

basically what was said is correct. the top really should not be put down when colder than about 50 degrees F outside. or at least thats what i think I read?

I had that problem for almost a year. I bought the car in January of 07 and didnt see the top latched until June of 07. The top shrunk so much over time that it would only go about 2 inches from the top of the header. When it FINALLY latched, it took 4 people to stretch it. Thank goodness I have a new top now!

Yeah that's pretty much what I said. And make sure I put the top up before it gets cold, don't just keep it down and put it in the garage. Then there's problems.

And after I got it up and it worked since it warmed up some, the header didn't quite seal. Water came through pretty quick when I poured it over the top. So I screwed in the hooks a little more and it sealed it. Hopefully I didn't bend the front bar at all, because I used a lot of strength to get it to hook in the cold weather. And practically hanging on it to get it to even get close enough to hook. That probably wasn't good.