Smells like Garbage!!!

Brian P

My idiot sister spilled milk at the right rear floorpan and didn't tell anyone. I've soaked scrubbed bleached flooded removed the seat, etc and wet vac'd the shit out of it and it still stinks. I'm ready to cut the whole damn section out. Anything else I could really do? It must have soaked into the closed cell foam that's molded into the carpet.

'02 Grand Prix. SE.

I had something similar happen once. I basically ended up dumping a bucket full of water and soap onto the carpet a couple of times, letting it sit for a couple minutes and then vacuuming it up slowly but very well with a 5HP 12 gallon shop vac. Worked for me.

I did already, but it wasn't straight bleach, it was 25% mixed with laundry detergent and hot water. I wiped down the frame under the area (nasty) sprayed down the underside of the carpet, dumped the hot water/detergent/bleach, let it soak for a few, scrub, vacuum with 4 HP wet vac. It's better but still friggin there. Maybe I'll try 1 more time?

I did already, but it wasn't straight bleach, it was 25% mixed with laundry detergent and hot water. I wiped down the frame under the area (nasty) sprayed down the underside of the carpet, dumped the hot water/detergent/bleach, let it soak for a few, scrub, vacuum with 4 HP wet vac. It's better but still friggin there. Maybe I'll try 1 more time?

I'd do it again and soak it real well and let it sit for about half an hour. Not sure what other solvents you can use. Some carpet cleaner/de-odorizer?

Steam and brush! It's work perfectly!

Like steam-steam? I think I have one of those machines in my basement, the little guy you're supposed to use on curtains.

I'd do it again and soak it real well and let it sit for about half an hour. Not sure what other solvents you can use. Some carpet cleaner/de-odorizer?

I couldn't imagine anything more potent than the mix I used. It was fricking Tide too :lol:

Steam and brush! It's work perfectly!

Like steam-steam? I think I have one of those machines in my basement, the little guy you're supposed to use on curtains.

I couldn't imagine anything more potent than the mix I used. It was fricking Tide too :lol:

LOL

Well in that case, just let it sit for longer so it soaks in, and it should work.

my roomate left milk in our room last break (1 month unrefrigerated) . It smelt terrible. After airing out the room for days, I finally gave up and threw out the room carpet. I really think you should cut it out

You just need a steam machine.. simple apply the steam on the spot where is dirty and imediatly brush the carpet hard! That's gonna probaly take you 10-15 min to do this.. but remember you need to brush very hard...

TIPS: When you use your car on the winter, sometime the salt go inside the car and stuck in the carpet and make a huge white spot.. It's very hard the remove this.. and it's look bad... Againts! use the steam machine to clean up this... BTW if you don't have a steam machine, you can use a bucket of very very hot water.. and scrub the floor! You need to work more than with the steam machine but it's work...

AND SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH... I TRY TO MAKE MY POSSIBLE !! I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT! :)

Good Day!

well heay an attempt is better than nothing, I use my shampooer in mine because someone got maple syrup on my seat and i hadnt driven the car in a few days. But my shampooer has a steam function and it pulled it right out

I found my lil steamer, I'm gonna try it out. Maybe right now. BRB... actually maybe I'll add a touch of vinegar to the steamer? I dunno what it'll do but it's worth a shot.

Muahaha

I couldn't find white vinegar, so I used balsamic vinegarette dressing. Think it will make a difference?

Here's the steamer, I ran it for like a half hour going slowly and steaming the piss out of the carpet. The stench of fucked milk hit me right in the face, though the vinegar helped it be less offensive:

DSC01198.jpg

Then I flooded the bitch. 2 parts Tide, 1 part bleach, lotta hot water. Let it sit, scrubbed it, etc basically what I did last time.

DSC01197.jpg

If nothing else maybe I can get a salvage title out of this :lol:

So we'll see. Just kidding about the salad dressing, I just put a touch of rubbing alky in there it's all I had.

oh after I vacuumed the hell out of the surface, I pulled the carpet up, and that damn molded foam soaked the soap and kept it in. I had to squeeze it out by hand. Way to go GM! Make me a carpet that soaks and holds it all.

When I was in iraq my wife forgot a half gallon of milk on the back seat of my truck and after a month it exploded. She took it in to be professionally cleaned but nothing and I mean nothing would take that smell out. Every time you sat on that seat a nice putrid barf smell would puff out of the seat causing loss of vision and extreme nausea. Good luck.

If I want something clean right... I pull it. and hose and scrub the hell out of it. for a carpet... I would drape it over a sawhorse or a chainlink fence or something.... hose it and scrub it with dish or laundry detergent... and repeat many times until it runs clean. then rinse it a few times and you are done with the rug is clean and the water runs out clear. Even seats and rugs that look clean to start with are full of crap, INCLUDING... CLEANER RESIDUE from previous detailings. the first time I rinse something out comes one hell of a river of old soap suds.

as for seats... there are old clothesline 'T' poles in the back yard... and they can hold complete seats in the air. yes. very hill billy... but it works.

Brian..... pull that rug

93cutty yank that seat.

Get Er Clean!

and I think stuff works best to let it dry is the wind and sun.

With all that I would suggest bleach/water. 3% bleach kills bacteria, so I would suggest 10% just to compensate for any water that is absorbed into the carpet. I would wonder about what the alcohol/tide mixed into the solution would do.

I used to bring a milk/protein shake to work with me. After working from 9-4 in July, that bottle was smelling mighty ripe. I would hit it with just a shot of bleach and shake it and it smelled like roses.

We got a BMW in at my old Subaru dealership that had baby formula in the backseats... that shit doesn't come out. We hit that with EVERYTHING... and every time I got back in that car it reeked of formula.

• 3 weeks later...

Watch the bleach, if it sits for too long or is too strong, not only will you discolor your floorboard, but eventually the carpet will desintigrate and all the fiber will disappear. I've seen it happen too many times to bleach spots.

For a smell like that, there's a product called Bio-Zyme that I use that is just AMAZING for deep smells like that. I mix that with some new-car freshener in a spray bottle, soak it, blot it, scrub it, then walk away. The Bio-Zyme is an enzymatic cleaner that breaks down the whatever it is that makes it smell, and the smell-good helps with the smell right off the bat.

http://retail.knipps.com/product.asp?product=514

http://retail.knipps.com/product.asp?product=500

I've got gallon jugs of the stuff, because they are both great for home-cleaning use as well. :lol: Not sure whether or not they would sell them in smaller sizes over the net or whatever, but I know they have smaller in-store where I go to get the stuff.

• 2 months later...

BUMP!

how is this problem coming for you? i just found this today and wanted to throw this out there. brand new carpet for $130 shipped! i am going to order one in the future, much cheaper than ACCmats.com. get rid of the stench and have perty new carpet!

http://www.stockinteriors.com