a dying tgp?

manualturbo

hey guys,

i think i may have a major problem with my tgp. about a month ago i was driving along at wot in 3rd gear when all of a suddecar just dies, so since it is a stick i just shif a higher gear and let the clutch out, and it started back up. well the next day it did the same thing, except this time it didnt start--at all. so i towed it home and tore it apart. at first i thought it was spark but i had plenty of that. then i moved to fuel--i have good pressure at the rail but nothig out of the injectors. so i had them tested. one was bad. so i thought cool i know what it is. so i replaced it and reset the ecm. now it drove good til now. then last nite bam the same exact thing happened. this time i had to let the car sit for about 2 minutes and then it started up fine. i have not drove it since for fear of it dying completely. do u think it could be the ecm or the ignition module or anything? what i dont get is why the car would die like that, even when i tried push starting it, it almost seems like it hits overboost and dies but wont start back up.

thank,

mitch

90 tgp 5 speed anyone?:)

I had a very similar problem on my Turbo SVO Mustang b4. I sold it to my brother who fixed the problem. I know it was fuel related, either fuel pump of fuel filter, I'll ask him.

update,

i drove it to my friends house, well i rolled into his house once it didnt start back up :x but the thing is i putted all the way to his house, didnt get up past 2000 rpm and barely even touched the gas pedal, but it died about 2 miles down the road? and it would start back up fine but when it ran it smelled like it was flooded with gas, it had a very strong gas smell in the exhaust but it wasnt really even black. do u guys think that the injectors are leaky or something else....

and another thing, once it got running i could floor it and it would spool up and tach out and everything, sometimes it would die when u let off, sometimes it wouldnt. and when i turn the accesory on u can hear the fuel pump(not sure about 100% every time but when im paying attention it does). my guess is maybe leaky injectors, guess ill pull the plugs and see what they look like.....

When it dies does it just die or sputter first then die?

When the fuel pump died in my TGP it hesitated slightly and ran ok for about 3 more minutes. When I came back out of the store to start it...she said no way and would not even try to fire. Got it towed home and the next morning I checked the pressure at the fuel rail and 0 pressure. Turned on the key...heard the pump and had pressure. Let it run until the pump warmed and the car warmed...she just quit without a putter. Checked the fuel pressure right away and 0 pressure. Replaced the fuel pump and never had another issue with it.... 8)

The same thing happened to my car last year. I had a new fuel filter put in. The old filter was so clogged up that the fuel pump got adjusted to sending more pressure then needed through the filter. So when the filter was replaced, my motor would just die on me, and putter when it did run, also very hard to start. So, I had to have my fuel pump replaced. After I had the pump replaced, it was smooth sailing.

So I would change out the filter and pump.

Sounds just like when my DIS module went out. If I let it sit long enough, it would start and run fine for about 2 mins, OR one good high RPM rev, then it would die for another 2 hours or so.

Hmmm, I wonder if my TGP has a bad DIS module. I just got it back from the shop. I'm sure all of you know what kind of a nightmare my car has been. I'll explain a little. While it was at the shop, I had a new turbo put in and also the Jeff M crossover. When the car was started, oil started spitting out of the exhaust. The turbo oil drain line was replaced, and that fixed the oil spitting problem. But now there is a ton of built up oil in the exhaust and it is smoking. Not too bad, but very noticable. The idle is pretty rough and there is a bit of hesitation coming from a stop. But I was told that would get better once the oil clears up. Now, yesterday I had my car out for a nice drive trying to get rid of all the oil in the system. I got out to look at a GP for sale and left my car running. Well, it stalled. I got back in and it started right up. Well, up the road there was another GP for sale, so YEP I got out to look, left my car running and again it stalled. This time though it started back up but would not stay running. I finally got started long enough where I could drive it home....but as soon as I came to a stop it would stall. Any ideas?? I REALLY wanna get this car running right. I've had it since March...and have only been able to drive it 3 times. It's been in and out of shops since then! It also needs to be inpected...I doubt it'll pass as it's blowing smoke out the ass.

It takes a few miles of driving (about 100) to get rid of the smoke, unfortunately it usally takes out your plugs and cat converter if it's been plugged very long, if you are going to replace your DIS module, I'd also replace your crank sensor $12-$24 part. :wink: :cheers: :cheers:

Okay, so I really need to try and drive it to get all that crap out. But what about the stalling? I can't likely run the car if it stalls at every stop light. Could that be the fouled up plugs?

Okay, so I really need to try and drive it to get all that crap out. But what about the stalling? I can't likely run the car if it stalls at every stop light. Could that be the fouled up plugs?

Has an idle re-learn been done on the car since all of the work was completed? :wink: