Koni struts- any one interested?

dohc v6

I am tired of my KYB, they suck. Anyways KYB gr2 are not made for lowering, for a stock set up they are OK, but not the 3-4 in drop in the back and 2 in in the front with the intrax. I would like to know if anyone on here has any intereste in getting a group buy going. I would be willing to design them and do the whole thing. It wont be like $200, so if you have no money dont post and say you want them but your broke. This is for people that want them. I know me and my brother would do it, so if maybe I can get like 8 more people then I would be willing to get a lot of parts made. If not I guess me and my bro will be the only ones with them.

They are not made for lowering. They are not built to handle such loads under small travel. Read the link that I posted up a few. These guys know what the hell they are talking about

Technically it depends on how your car is lowered would it not? Mine is done with all coil overs, therefore the strut travel is the same as a non lowered car.

At any rate, what is it that you will be having made to make Koni struts fit a w-body? Do they make a cartridge like our existing front struts? Do they have parts that are close to fitting the rears?

Jamie

Dont know, but I wanted to see if there was an interest. I will be looking into this stuff if there are more interested. THe brakes wont be for about 2-3 weeks. I need to get some shit toghether and then get the actual parts

I think just about everyone who has used say Intrax springs to lower their W have used GR2's and they were fine... why would you all of a sudden try to tell everyone that they suck? Sure maybe their not the best, but as far as I know their holding up fine...

I did. Said they aren't covered under warranty to past a 1.5" drop, also said they weren't really made for lowering.

However our cars weren't made for performance either, however we try to do it. Seems to work.

Koni's may be nice but most wbody owners are "poor", hence why we have these cars. It's also why people use GR2's, they have been proven by tons of members as a stock replacement or in a lowering application.

Koni's may be nice but most wbody owners are "poor", hence why we have these cars. It's also why people use GR2's, they have been proven by tons of members as a stock replacement or in a lowering application.

Not to mention Konis aren't even made for Gen 1 w-bodies. One of 2 things have to happen,

1. Someone has to make an existing koni strut fit their w, or

2. someone has to get in touch with Koni and say make something that fits this car.

Modifying a strut will eliminate the warranty right there, so not only is option 1 going to be really expensive and time consuming to make, but it will not have a warranty. Option 2 is the best bet, but its going to take a lot of convincing and probably a lot of people to get koni interested in making parts for our cars, they have bigger fish to fry than a market as tiny as first gen w-bodies.

Just my opinion... I'll stick with my un-warrantied KYB GR2s, they fit and they work

Jamie

Not to mention Konis aren't even made for Gen 1 w-bodies. One of 2 things have to happen,

1. Someone has to make an existing koni strut fit their w, or

2. someone has to get in touch with Koni and say make something that fits this car.

Modifying a strut will eliminate the warranty right there, so not only is option 1 going to be really expensive and time consuming to make, but it will not have a warranty. Option 2 is the best bet, but its going to take a lot of convincing and probably a lot of people to get koni interested in making parts for our cars, they have bigger fish to fry than a market as tiny as first gen w-bodies.

Just my opinion... I'll stick with my un-warrantied KYB GR2s, they fit and they work

Jamie

I believe this thread is to gather intrest if there would be enough support to ask koni to start making struts for our cars

• 1 month later...

I've been interested in Koni's since they first made them (yes, I was around then). Unfortunately, I was a bit slow to lower my car and missed out on the production run. If you get these produced again, I would definitely be interested. Koni is very good about building custom shocks. I wouldn't doubt it if they would even make one-off's of them for the right price.

Tim