Another chapter in saving the Olds...

19Cutlass94

Well tonight I started ripping into the Olds... once again. as some of you might know, the rear bumper needed to be repainted... BADLY! So I took off the rear bumper cover and the rear bumper.

This is where Im at currently:

photo005.jpg

The rear bumper is pretty much toast. I can re-use it if absolutly needed, but Im going to start looking for a new one on Monday. The body is absolutly SOLID. NO rust anywhere! There just a few spots where its starting to bubble with some surface rust. The inside of the rear 1/4's are in excellent shape, and Ill be working on ths inside of those as well. Since these cars like to rust out in the rear 1/4 behind the wheel. But Overall Im happy about what I saw when I took everything off. Once Im done this thing will never rust! :)

It wasnt too fun taking it off.... So much dirt and some rust from the bumper falling on my face.... not a good time! However I didnt break anything taking it off! Especially those black "braces" or whatever you wanna call em. Im proud of that! :lol:

Hey Jay,

I might have a rear bumber from a 92 cutlass. Dual exhaust cut out, is white and from what I remember in great shape.

Let me know what you want to pay for one, and I'll find out if I need it or not.

Although shipping might be a bitch!

Kyle,

Im sorry I should have worded it a little bit better. The bumper cover is getting repainted. The bumper itself.... the metal bars with the plastic attached is whats toast. Ill be needing a new one of those cause its rusted and I dont wanna re-use it.

Kyle,

Im sorry I should have worded it a little bit better. The bumper cover is getting repainted. The bumper itself.... the metal bars with the plastic attached is whats toast. Ill be needing a new one of those cause its rusted and I dont wanna re-use it.

ah gotcha....I think the one on the 92 is still good....I wouldn't be able to get to it until the snow melts anyways(car is under 2 feet of snow at the moment) if you want it in the spring, let me know, however I'm sure you'll be wanting it sooner than that!

Anyways back to your thread, sorry for jacking. Car looks good as ever and your effort to keep it looking spectacular is amazing!

Jay .My one z34 had the same problem with my one z34

I got a aftermarket inner bumper from keystone and price was not that bad. I could not find a good used one anywhere in new york or pa

they all seem to rust out bad. from all the dirt and crap that likes to get trapped in there

Thanks! Thats good to know that it wasnt to awful bad for a new one. I think they all rust out so easy because of the way and the postion that they are in. Salt and shit just gets kicked up by the rear tires and flung into the inner bumper and just sits there and you cant clean it! :willynilly:

I dont know if Keystone is open tomorrow, but Im going to call and find out. If not Ill be waiting till Wed. I guess.

Z34duck... how much did you pay for it from Keystone. I called them and they said that they cannot get it... at all. Then I called B&D same thing. I finally found a place that wanted $50.00 for a brand new one. So Im picking that up tomorrow.

i'll hear nothing of you needing paint

Your car better get paint this yr. All Im gonna say!

yeah tell me about it! The car has only seen 3-4 winters and it was rusted to all hell. The funny part os how they rust out like that and the body remains solid.

Well I got one from them today but I think its the wrong one. Doesnt look like the one that came off the car and it says 1988-1997GP on the tag... So tomorrow Ill see whats going on with it... Since I still need to pay for it.

omg i really wish the back of my car was that spotless. gotta love upstate NY. i have to change my rear bumper but i broke the black brackets off of the donor and i already know mine are going tobreak so it sits in my basement lol

My Lumina isn't rust free, but it's pretty clean underneath (few suspension components have surface rust)..anyways my rear bumper support would probably fall off if you jumped on the top of the bumper lol...it's that rusty. I ran my hand down the bottom of it and chunks were falling off lol.

I tried getting some pictures of the bumper but its really hard to get unless you have the light in the right way to see everything thats wrong with it. I guess thats a good thing of pictures on the internet... cant see all the bad stuff :lol:

My Lumina isn't rust free, but it's pretty clean underneath (few suspension components have surface rust)..anyways my rear bumper support would probably fall off if you jumped on the top of the bumper lol...it's that rusty. I ran my hand down the bottom of it and chunks were falling off lol.

I was taking out the pushins in it and I as getting huge metal chunks falling off and bad rust/metal peeling noises :lol:

I ended up going back to the local Olds dealer to get all the parts. They had everything I needed and everyone else kept giving me wrong parts.... I duno how hard it is to get the right part but whatever.

• 1 month later...