WTF- I cant stand my car

dohc v6

If the car is set up with toe-out, however, the front wheels are aligned so that slight disturbances cause the wheel pair to assume rolling directions that do describe a turn. Any minute steering angle beyond the perfectly centered position will cause the inner wheel to steer in a tighter turn radius than the outer wheel. Thus, the car will always be trying to enter a turn, rather than maintaining a straight line of travel. So it's clear that toe-out encourages the initiation of a turn, while toe-in discourages it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dohc v6

• BXX

• 19Cutlass94

• GP1138

OK I will probably call them up tomorrow and tell them to check the alignment.

:willynilly: :willynilly: :willynilly: That was said several posts ago...

19Cutlass94, no, not Arizona, as in AutoZone :lol:

Excessive toe to the point of causing an issue will 'look off'... Don't bother measuring, use your eyes.... If the tires look like they stick out when they should be pointed straight, then that's an issue... Or if the look 'pigeon toed' that will cause it to wander even more...

OK I will probably call them up tomorrow and tell them to check the alignment.

:willynilly: :willynilly: :willynilly: That was said several posts ago...

19Cutlass94, no, not Arizona, as in AutoZone :lol:

Excessive toe to the point of causing an issue will 'look off'... Don't bother measuring, use your eyes.... If the tires look like they stick out when they should be pointed straight, then that's an issue... Or if the look 'pigeon toed' that will cause it to wander even more...

ohh well.... All I know is thats what the dealer charges to align my car. And the chevy dealer charges $110 to align our K5 blazer...

I drove the car to school today and notice somehtings. First it veers left and right but when the wheel is statoinary, then once it pulls I have to move the wheel to straighten the car from going into the other lane. The next thing I did was move the wheel back and forth fast when driving. the car had alot of slopp in it. I could feel the car have a sort of delay when i would steer back and forth. It feels spongy almost. I do not hear any clunking.

Subframe mounts loose, or if you replaced the balljoints, check the new hardware... The bolts coulda come loose... And of course, the rack could be bad...

K, you spent $260 too much for the A/C recharge... You coulda done it yourself for about $30... I have trouble understanding why you didn't??

And if they were very good, you wouldn't have to take your car back because of an alignment issue when you just had them do the alignment :lol:

:wink:

Im talking about the new bolts and nuts and washers that atatch the balljoint to the control arm... Those 4 bolts and nuts easily strip and tend to loosen up easy, even though they have the nylon insert.

Yeah, I torqued that shit down. I dont do half ass work.I make sure that everything goes wheres it supposed to and torqued to the correct setting. I have the factory manual as well.

Well I went underneath with a big screwdriver and found nothing to be loose. I noticed that the motor mount would move a little but thats normal. I checked the mounting bolts on the rack, they were tight, I checked the tie rods and the ball joints, they were ok. The only other thing that might be it, is the powersteering pump itsself. Is there anywya to test this. If I cant find the problem then the car will go to the dealership next week. I just need to make some money, lol.

Yeah, I torqued that shit down. I dont do half ass work.I make sure that everything goes wheres it supposed to and torqued to the correct setting. I have the factory manual as well.

Those 4 little mounting bolts dont handle much torque before they strip.... but I still think its more probible the shop screwed up the alignment

I had my race car do that a few years ago and it was the rack, but it dosent just break like that. Mine broke cause i got hit in the wheel and cracked the casing for the rack and whenever i turned it would skip teeth. Its possible you may have stripped the teeth on the rack, but seeing how it started doing this after you had an alignment leads me to think it would be an alignment issue.

if the rack was bad like i was saying you would definatly be able to see if your wheels were not strait, when the rack skips teeth you lose and gain a few inches of toe in and out, which is very noticable to the eye, you'd be able to tell if its fucked or not without measurment, so your rack is probly not the issue here.

Heres the thing. It happened when I was pulling a car. Not puling, pulling I mean getting infront of. I have been told that my car travels sideways. Liek the front geos one way and the back is striahgt. I am thinking thats the case. But I am replace everything so not to worrie.