Exhaust On 97' Grand Prix 3800

Dirtbikindud

I plan on relpacing the original exhaust on my car for something a little throatier sounding. Seeing as my car is only an se it came original with single tip exhaust but i plan on making it a single into dual. Any suggestions as to size of exhaust and what mufflers sound nice on these cars. I plan on running one pipe straight to the muffler/y pipe then running duals out the rear with no cat or other restrictions in the system.

Input Appreciated,

Tyson

3800's sound like ass with exhaust.

Factory they flow rather well.

Get a bigger downpipe, cut your cat, and remove the u-bend, and you'll be good to go.

Get a bigger downpipe, cut your cat, and remove the u-bend, and you'll be good to go.

Yeah what he said! It will never sound good no matter what you do to the exhaust, so you might as well just make it flow well and call it a day. Not worth spending your money trying to make it sound good cause it never will.

Almost true. The Borla cat-back actually sounds pretty nice and refined and is fairly quiet. MUCH better than some/most/all 3800 exhausts I've seen. It is $$$ though unless you can find a nice used deal. It's also only 2.25in IIRC (mandrel bent with a MUCH better Y-Pipe design though), so for those going pretty radical on an NA buildup (or SC car for tht matter), there are better PERORMANCE options out there.

Bullshit. Compression bent piping (that necks down to LESS than 2in diameter at some points) and a single (or even dual) muffler designed to keep things quiet.............there is STILL an easy 4-5hp to be had even on an NA car, and I gather some of the louder/larger exhausts on SC cars can net like 6-7hp.

The cat itself is barely a restriction and is only hurting a stock NA car a tiny bit. Now the U-bend........that IS a different story. Best way to deal with both is to get a full downpipe. I know Random Technology has one, but it's not the best design in my opinion. *I* would look to have one made, and I KNOW a few different guys on ClubGP do so........look around.

Either way, don't expect more than 8-10hp even by doing a FULL exhaust on an NA L36 car...........it'll be enough to be "felt", but not enough to make a HUGE difference.

I'd expect 2-3 tenths in the 1/4 for a full exhaust on an L36 car..........

Actually the stock 2nd Gen exhaust's flow like shit IIRC. The only part that flows great are the mufflers.

Just buy a GT/P catback, get the dual exhaust. Then get a 2.5" downpipe, get rid of the u-bend(which the DP will do) and get a higher flowing cat and it'll sound good.

my friends 98 SE 3800 had a u-bend. single sounds better and looks better IMO. both my exhausts on the riv were single w/ magnaflows and sounded great. not raspy at all and loud.

Actually the stock 2nd Gen exhaust's flow like shit IIRC. The only part that flows great are the mufflers.

Just buy a GT/P catback, get the dual exhaust. Then get a 2.5" downpipe, get rid of the u-bend(which the DP will do) and get a higher flowing cat and it'll sound good.

thats what i heard, too.

How do we know he even has a U-bend? Mine came stock without one and its a 99 with the 3800 II. Trust me, I looked, it's not there.

Every 2nd Gen had a u-bend. Someone must've replaced it before you bought it. The 3rd Gen GP's didn't have the u-bend.

Ok, well everything I've heard is that the mufflers flow rather well, and that getting rid of the U-bend, cat, and getting a bigger downpipe is pretty good performance wise.

There is a reason most of the Michigan guys don't run aftermarket exhaust, 3800's sound like ass.

EDIT: I guess what I'm getting at is you don't need to change the whole exhaust to get some decent performance out of it.

3800'd sound great at idle, its when you rev them is when they sound like poo(raspy), regardless of any cat back that i have heard. this is why i recently ordered a Vibrant resonator, in hopes of supressing that rasp.

a downpipe should be the first investment. hogan(like i have), random technologies, ZZP.... they all offer one that removes the u-bend and has a high flo cat.

and get a dual exhaust off a GT or GTP.

That's what I have done except my resontor is also gone. It has to be one of the worst sounding exhausts ever haha. I'm sure a set of magnaflows or a nice glasspack would make it sound alot better.

• 2 weeks later...

the only reason i said that i wanted to run duals is because i want to change my cars body to make it look like a gt(i personally find the se front end and back end a little bland) so i want to run duals so that the opening in the bottom of the rear bumper doesnt look like an unused cutout.( and i dont want to stick a fake tip there just for show either)

Tyson

i forgot to mention... according to ZZP, an aftermarket cat-back system isnt going to make a noticeable increase in performance, because its the least restrictive part of the factory exhaust system. u-bend, resonator, downpipe, manifolds, then the catback, in that order.

so dont bother with aftermarket cat-backs until until you are already making near 300hp from engine mods.

i forgot to mention... according to ZZP, an aftermarket cat-back system isnt going to make a noticeable increase in performance, because its the least restrictive part of the factory exhaust system. u-bend, resonator, downpipe, manifolds, then the catback, in that order.

so dont bother with aftermarket cat-backs until until you are already making near 300hp from engine mods.

Just because there is MORE power to be had by doing a downpipe first, manifolds (headers) second and a catback THIRD, doesn't mean that you won't make ANY power with a catback............just power per $$ is lower than the other two.

There is still 4-5 hp to be had without trying very hard.

Plus, some people just want a mild power boost to go with a bit of sound and style.........

Don't get me wrong, ZZP (and you) are right...........power per $$, I'd do a nice headers/downpipe combo first, and catback second..........but again........even on an otherwise BONE stock car, a catback WILL make a little power.

You just have to choose exhaust and or exhaust components wisely so it doesn't sound like the typical 3800 turd :razz: