Any Interest In A Larger Front Sway Bar For First Gen's?

AWeb80

It Is $20 From Them. Runt, Our CMM table Is 4X8' and its a B&S. And We Have A Romer arm too.

HOLY CRAP!! Our tables are no where near that. Then again, we don't need it. But our DCC-CMM is pretty cool.

Says The Guy Driving The Camaro. Lol

Zing!

On the topic at hand, the '95-01 lumina has a unique rear suspension. Like a cross between gen 1 (mounting points, swaybar) and gen 2 (using coil springs)

One thing none of you have thought of:

A larger front sway bar will make these already understeering pigs that much WORSE.

Not that a W will ever be a particularly great handling vehicle, but they ARE decent given their size............but understeer is already a problem when pushed hard (the only way to get the rear end out is to ABRUPTLY cut throttle or stab the brakes in mid corner.........neither of which is conducive to going fast to begin with).

*I* would be looking to make a REAR sway bar that was larger..........I mean, hell.....my fat B4U GP already has ok front end bite on turn-in (it DOES have 245/50R16's on it), but from mid corner on, it just pushes.

Seriously.........a a larger REAR bar (and stickier tires) is the best thing you can do to balance a FWD car out.

Start THERE :wink:

But what do *I* know...........I just own 3 NON W-Body cars that in their current forms handle better than ANY W out there :mrgreen:

i dont get understeer in mine anymore, so i would be comfortable w/ a larger front bar. the cobalt is TERRIBLE for torque and understeer

But the larger front bar would take that better balance and throw it RIGHT back out the window...........and yet again, you would be Captain Understeer.

Look, AWeb gets and "A" for effort, but it's like selling sand to a Saudi.........sorry, W's just don't NEED a bigger front bar........it's already TOO big :lol:

About the comment about the front bar being too big as is, thats a load of crap... just right, maybe, but too big, no way. Put a smaller bar in there with a 3.4DOHC and the car would be all over the road.

In referance to the rear addco bar fitment, dig up my thread on my suspension job. I got the bar to fit in with some minor adjustments to the mounting hardware. I have no rubbing issues with the bar. The only rubbing issues are my big ass all season tires.

About the understeer... I only have a bit of understeer in my car. And like I just mentioned, I have old all season peices of shyte on my car. Some good tires and I think my car will stick to the corners better than most W's.

BIGBULS; your 3 non w's weigh half of what a w does, if they didn't handle better than any w you would have bigger problems. :lol:

Jamie

I think you guys are missing the point though.............to use what stick you DO have, you need balance, and W's like mine with a sport suspension have a 34mm front sway bar and a 19mm rear (BIG difference in roll stiffness on each end).

Now it IS a litle bit of apples to oranges, but my NX has a 30mm front bar and a 22mm rear (set on full stiff) and pushes too much for me, while the Neon has 22mm front AND rear, with the rear on the softer of it's two positions.........and IT has a nice balance.

Either way, I would think something closer to a 30mm front bar (with a 22mm rear) would probably give a little better BALANCE, while body-roll would still be held in check by the stiffer springs that many of you have......of course, you could also have a thinner wall 34mm (it IS holow after all), but regardless, LARGER is NOT the way to go.