Any Interest In A Larger Front Sway Bar For First Gen's?

AWeb80

We Have A Sweet Computer Controlled Mandrel tube bender at work. this is just an idea as the price could be up there. $100 or so. i was thinking 38 or 40 mm since the largest stock is 34mm. 38 mm is 1.5 inches. you'd have to get aftermarket bushings obviously. any thoughts? tmcoinc.com is our website, you can see the bender on there IIRC

I'd be interested, although I don't know how easy it would be to take the stock one off. Would Energy Suspension make a 1.5" bushing?

But yeah, I'd definitely be interested. I get the feeling that my rear end is a lot tighter than the front.

stop double posting F-head

that made me chuckle.

I get the feeling that my rear end is a lot tighter than the front.

That's not something one dude should say to another dude.

stop double posting F-head

that made me chuckle.

I get the feeling that my rear end is a lot tighter than the front.

That's not something one dude should say to another dude.

Stop Whoring my thread F-head lol!

I hope 38-40mm isn't too big...

That's my thought. I feel it will create steering problems.

A too stiff stabilizer bar will cause the car to feel like it jumps sideways when you hit a bump or pothole while making a turn. Too stiff of a stabilizer bar will also cause your car to have a tendency to lock it's inside front wheel when braking hard in a turn due to weight transfer off the inside front wheel.

However, I may just have to ask Adam to make me a rear bar for my van.

i dont know about all that, but i like the idea of a larger sway bar, a 38mm hollow sway bar i dont believe would be too big, but then again what do i know i drive a grandma car

I duno about this Adam... I duno what size the stock bar is ( on the 3100's ) but with my suspension mods mine drives and handles just fine. I cant really see there being THAT much of a difference... and as others have said it could be too big.. I mean no one has tried a bar that big

sure you could get replicate the exact angles and tapers? There's quite a few bends in it, and it's also not flat when it's laid on the ground. I wouldn't risk it unless you get it all precise, since it could cause suspension reaction issues. I had tried a swaybar that was bent 1/4" off from what it should have been, and the car wouldn't track straight with it.

Brian, We Have Reverse Engineering Capabilities. I Have An Extre 34 Mm Bar, All I'd Have To Do Is Use Our CMM To Get The Points Off It, Enlarge The Diam. To What I Want, Get The Right Size Tube And The Bender Will Put All The Correct Angles In There Based Off The Originals Measurements.

I know I'm in Canada and all that, but if you need a guinea pig... PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME!!! LoL

I'd give it a shot! Mind you we are coming up on winter, and my car will be going ino winter mode by the end of the month. (last winter for my car, after this she starts to get stored)

Jamie

Brian, We Have Reverse Engineering Capabilities. I Have An Extre 34 Mm Bar, All I'd Have To Do Is Use Our CMM To Get The Points Off It, Enlarge The Diam. To What I Want, Get The Right Size Tube And The Bender Will Put All The Correct Angles In There Based Off The Originals Measurements.

:eek:

that takes all the fun out of it, i herd you make rear STB's do they fit the 99 lumina, i ran across someone who has a z-34 and he had your rear stb in and it looks like his mount was a 2 bolt mount, and i know my car has a 3 bolt strut mount in the rear, do you have the correct mounting plate or is it not feesable?

I don't think a larger bar would hurt anything. But getting good bushings would be my concern.

*OFF TOPIC*

You guys must have one hell of a big CMM!!! Ours aren't big enough to measure something that big.

Do you guys do any work with Powder Metal parts?