120k miles....trans flush or just pan drop? Doing this tomm.

godofthunder

Hey yall

tommorow, the CS is going in the shop, one thing is Tranny work. While its feeling perfect, the fluid is quite dark, and acutally, shifting from park is kinda hard to do at times (well, can be hard to move the lever, and when car gets in gear, thers a barley noticeable jerk).

The car just turned 120k miles, and had the last KNOWN flush at 60k miles.

What should I do? Some people say that I should be fine doing a whole flush, others say just drop the pan. IM currently leaning towards just the pan and filter change right now, but wanan do whats best.

Again, no real tranny trouble, just maintnce. And money really isnt a concern, i dont have to pay (well, no labor. This is being done tommorw, so i need some responses tongiht please.

Jon

Personally, the flush is my choice:

* since you've know it's been done @ 60K miles

* you haven't shifted / grinded gears to break big chunks

* minor slipping is normal for old fluid

* plus you'll get 100% of the fluid out where a pan drop is only 25% - 35%

However, I do both if possible:

* if the tranny pan is leaking

* if severe driving has occured

* and the fluid is looks / smells darker than a deep red or light brown

Best of luck. Sorry I'm not there.

I do this with customers on a daily basis but I can see what I'm working on.

In this situtation I can't. Read more from others and make your choice accordingly.

- Erik

is the filter and stuff done with the flush?

Also, the only other thing is the normal GM shavings. No chucks, just a few here and there. I dont try to shift the car like a manual or anything either. Beffore i got it (at about 105k miles), it drove all over VA...but nothing more than just interstate travel.

jon

is the filter and stuff done with the flush?

No. It's either:

a.) a torque flush itself; fluid only; the car runs while new fluid is replaced when old is flushed

b.) the pan drop, which at that time, the filter is accessable / replaced

c.) or do both one after the other (in severe / rare abused cases)

If it's very little metallic pieces, those are suspended in the fluid.

With the torque flush, that will get all of those out and brand new ATF will take it's place.

So the flush sounds (in your case) more appealing since you know where it's been and how it's been treated.

- Erik

I would do both in your case. Gettin 100% new fluid is gonna be good, BUT, if your filter is still old, its not going to filter the new fluid properly, making it dirtier quicker. Plus, a new pan gasket is always good, even if its not leaking. If money is no object, do both and you'll be good for a while

Robby

A word of caution about flushes. If not done correctly (ie.. flushing backwords) it can damage the transmission. I have personally experienced this and I have seen countless others run into problems after a flush. Just droppin the pan and filter is a lot safer and you get the most important thing which is a clean filter.

yeah, see, thats my thing...i always hear of these people going and the trannys breaking after they do this, since it had been a long time since the last one..messes up seals or something.

I am pretty much just looking at doing the pan drop...but ill ask my dad again...what he thinks...hes done this stuff billions of times.

Jon

My aunt owns a 1994 Grand Prix coupe just like mine except its a 3100 and at 40k she took it in for a tranny flush, at the time it shifted great and the car was never even remotely beat on. Within 2k miles the tranny started acting weird and blew up. Since then I drop the pan. I beileve you get more than 25-35% of the fluid too. You get about 2/3 with a pan drop. I can tell because what I have to add to get it back up to a proper level is almost 2/3's of the maximum capacity.

A word of caution about flushes. If not done correctly (ie.. flushing backwords) it can damage the transmission. I have personally experienced this and I have seen countless others run into problems after a flush.

Backwards? How? I'm curious as to how that happens... please explain.

At work, we utilize the car's torque converter and it pushes the fluid out from the pan and through an opened / unbolted cooler line in the front of the car. While that happening either you add fluid to the tranny dipstick or to the open end of the cooler line (by use of a torque flush machine). In the years that I've worked at a quick lube shop, never heard of back-flushing or problems with such a phenomenon.

- Erik

A word of caution about flushes. If not done correctly (ie.. flushing backwords) it can damage the transmission. I have personally experienced this and I have seen countless others run into problems after a flush.

At work, we utilize the car's torque converter and it pushes the fluid out from the pan and through an opened / unbolted cooler line in the front of the car. While that happening either you add fluid to the tranny dipstick or to the open end of the cooler line (by use of a torque flush machine). In the years that I've worked at a quick lube shop, never heard of back-flushing or problems with such a phenomenon.

- Erik

Some places use a machine that basically forces fluid through the tranny rather than letting its pump do the work (car not run during flush). It can then be run backwards by hooking the lines up wrong.

- Erik

Some places use a machine that basically forces fluid through the tranny rather than letting its pump do the work (car not run during flush). It can then be run backwards by hooking the lines up wrong.

Oh... that's human error. :lol: No wonder!

Make sense, but never seen it happen before.

- Erik

ok, got it back today. Just did a pan drop.

MAn does it feel different. I never really noticed a problem before, but could feel shifts. I barley feel the shifts at all now, if at all. Then, when I used to floor it, it would be jerky switching, now, its very quiet, and very smooth, and VERY fast. For some reason almost, the car just feels faster, or atleast quicker.

Im going light on it now, just to be safe.

Jon

just currious...could having this done actually help my gas millege at all? For some reason...i got like 40 miles more on the last tank....

jon

just currious...could having this done actually help my gas millege at all? For some reason...i got like 40 miles more on the last tank....

Perhaps better power transfer efficency...

Who knows... Glad to hear it's working out great for you!!!

- Erik