Front end noise

Bri-Guy-GA

I just started noticing a weird noise coming from the front right side of the car when turning and also giving the car gas. If I take the turn slow the noise is gone. It also makes it if I mash the pedal when going under 30. The noise is hard to describe, but sounds kinda like going over a pothole over and over. At first it was more like when you put baseball cards in your bike wheels. Once I am back up to speed the noise is gone.

I was thinking axle joints, but don't really know.

Anyone?

Thanks. I just found complete CV assemblies for $60 ea at O'reilly with limited lifetime warranty. Do I need anything else or special tools?

Thanks for the help.

also, have someone step on the brake pedal when you take the axle nut off. you dont want that torque getting to your trans.

a 4ft breaker bar with a pipe on the end is your best friend for this!

It came off just fine, with the help of the handy impact wrench. It was the 36mm also. The shafts actually came out fairly easily with a little persuasion. I still have a little noise however on the driverside when I accelerate and it downshifts or when turning. Could the new shaft be bad or something else?

It doesn't happen quite as often, really only when accelerating and the tranny downshirts, but still sounds like slipping or something. Not like the engine banging around, but I could be wrong. When it first happened I went and made sure the shafts were fully engaged into the tranny with a few whacks. It seems to be more on the drivers side though.

go to a parking lot. cut the wheel to the left and accelerate at a normal speed (not spinning the tires). keep driving and straighten the wheels. do it again with the wheel to the right. listen for clicking/clunking. also, look for grease under the car from the drivers side (grease comes out of a broken boot, CV dries up, clicking starts)

go to a parking lot. cut the wheel to the left and accelerate at a normal speed (not spinning the tires). keep driving and straighten the wheels. do it again with the wheel to the right. listen for clicking/clunking. also, look for grease under the car from the drivers side (grease comes out of a broken boot, CV dries up, clicking starts)

The half shafts are new. I installed them on Saturday.

all 4 corners of the cradle have a 15 mm bolt with a steel retainer and a rubber bushing. The bushings can wear out and the retainers can rot through. I wish I gave you a good way to check the bushings, but my engine fell out of my buick because of a warn out rubber bushing. The best way I can think of would be to put the chassis of the car up on jackstands, jack up the subframe while watching the chassis, see if the subframe shifts while jacking up.

Hopefully, someone can give you a better way of checking the subframe bushings.

To my knowlage, they only come in rubber from the dealer, something like $30/each (bolt, bushing and retainer).

I have though about fabbing up solid bushings, but haven't had the time or energy

Well after listening to the noise for a few days I don't think its the engine cradle bolts or engine mounts. The noise is more of a ticking almost like slipping gears and it seems to be RPM controlled. Could the new axle be bad? Would the tranny make that noise? It doesn't happen all the time only when I get on it a bit at lower speeds.