Road Noise from coil overs?

CSI_MuNkY

Thats right, seems like ever since I got my coil over job finshed I have noticed a significant increase in road noise coming from the back end of my car. Anyone else ever experience this? I don't see how the elimination of the monoleaf could cause this... but its the only change in the car that coule really explain it.

Now, I'm not ruling out other possibilities except for tires, they never changed and are in good shape. (they just passed safety, plenty of tread left but didn't make so much noise before the swap)

Could it be a possible wheel bearing or 2? It seems to be coming from the passenger side more so than the drivers side.

The sound makes it sound like I'm cruisin with 44 inch super swamper mud tires on the car, its crazy! I don't even think my winter tires made this much noise.

Jamie

Yupp, Ive noticed the same thing. I dont worry about it too much, I just turn the radio/cd up more :lol:

Im more concerened about the sway bar hitting the strut body over the bumps.... its driving me up a fucking wall

i have a little bit of noise coming from the right side of mine. im thinking it might be the swaybar, too, after thinking about it. at first, i thought it was the spring, but now im thinking differently. guess its time to order the MC 7/8" bushings and maybe shim the outers, too, like i did on the 96. the gen 1 used to hit the rear sub on the 96, but it doesnt seem to be coming from there this time.

I know on mine it appears that the sawybar is hitting the strut body and maybe creating more noise than what should be there but I think the worst is the noise over the bumps! :willnilly:

I need to shim the outers a little bit, but then Ill need another fucking alignment!!!

Wel I solved the sway bar rubbing issue when I installed it. This sound is more of a loud hum. My exhaust used to cover it up nicely so I always forgot about it. But now I had to replace the Cat to pass e-test, so the exhaust is a bit quieter, now I hear the humming a lot more...

I guess I will have to pull the wheels off this weekend and check out the wheel bearings... just waht I need, something else that needs fixing... friggen w-body....

Jamie

You had the coilovers that replaced the stock strut mount with the aluminum/polyurethane strut/spring mount, right? The spring is most likely transferring more of the road vibration to the body of the car since its only isolated from the body by a chunk of aluminum (transferrs vibration rather well) and a thin layer of polyurethane (transferrs vibration much better than rubber).

If you think about it, the only things that damp the road vibrations are the tires and polyurethane mounts. there are metal to metal interactions in the back with everything else (I think). This would increase the road noise alot.

You had the coilovers that replaced the stock strut mount with the aluminum/polyurethane strut/spring mount, right? The spring is most likely transferring more of the road vibration to the body of the car since its only isolated from the body by a chunk of aluminum (transferrs vibration rather well) and a thin layer of polyurethane (transferrs vibration much better than rubber).

If you think about it, the only things that damp the road vibrations are the tires and polyurethane mounts. there are metal to metal interactions in the back with everything else (I think). This would increase the road noise alot.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up in describing my setup... I'll still be checking the wheel bearings this weekend, but based on the price of new wheel bearings, I hope its just the lack of isolation between the road and the car.

I think when I shop for new tires, low road noise will be a selling feature for me.

What is strange is that I only hear the noise from the rear, not the front. And the front coil overs have even less isolation between the road and the car. Up front there is no poly damper between the mounts and the spring. All the noise I'm hearing seems to be coming from the rear.

Jamie

I know this isn't of much use, but the #1 reason why I went with ST fronts a Flex-A-Form leaf for the rear instead of coilovers is because I had heard there was more noise in the rear coilovers. If you figure out a way to get this fixed, let me know.

Good luck. :high5:

I'm quite surprised coilovers have more noise. I thought I'd be the other way around. My monoleaf squeaks like an angry squirrel.

That's strange, considering its made of fiberglass, I didn't think it would squeak. Mine never squeaked.

my mono doesn't squeak either......hmmm

But everything else on the damn car does. :lol:

:werd:

I'm getting rid of the squeaking inside by covering the whole car with sound dampening (eDead, kinda like Dynamat but cheaper).

The noise your refering to is from the coil overs rubbing or the spring moving around while the suspension flexes. If anything this sound goes away when I hit a bump. Its a constant hum even on a perfectly flat road (which are hard to find around here). I'll be checking the wheel bearing tomorrow or sunday. If they are fine then I may try and find a way to have thicker peices of poly made up to go between the spring and the mounts, top and bottom. Hell for that matter I may just make em out of rubber... BUT That means having to take the system apart again, and I REALLY don't want to do that this year, I don't have the time for it.

If its not the wheel bearing, and it is in fact just more vibration getting transfered up through the strut I'll be happy. I can live with the noise if I know its not a safety issue, last thing I want is a wheel bearing crapping out on me while I'm on the highway. I have no idea what happens, but I'll bet its not fun.

Jamie

I'm quite surprised coilovers have more noise. I thought I'd be the other way around. My monoleaf squeaks like an angry squirrel.

Mine does too - it's actually a lot worse since I installed those poly "pucks" between the leaf and hub assembly.

Mine does too - it's actually a lot worse since I installed those poly "pucks" between the leaf and hub assembly.

I believe its an issue with the fiberglass leaf itself. My '88, with a metal leaf, didn't squeak at all, and that car was beat to shit.

I believe its an issue with the fiberglass leaf itself. My '88, with a metal leaf, didn't squeak at all, and that car was beat to shit.

soooooo, who put a metal leaf in place of the stock fiberglas???

soooooo, who put a metal leaf in place of the stock fiberglas???

early w's had a metal leaf

W's so equipped don't sag in the rear either.