Northstar 4.6 swap in a 1st gen W?

95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

Is it possible to do a northstar swap in a first gen? I got acces to a rear ended 96 deville so i can get anything needed for the swap if its possible to do. I kno there was a conversion a few years back for that ASG 5.0 which was based on the northstar engine so it should be possible.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

• ALephart

• GnatGoSplat

• IRONDOG442

jay, the ASG motor was based on the older more compact 4.9L caddy pushrod motor.

i've seen a n* in a gen 1.5 monte but not sure the exact differences of the engine bay between that and your car.

i jus read up on that 95 monte with the swap done. He did the exact thing that i wanna do, now the question is whats the dif under the hood of the 1.5 gen vs. the 1 gen. his subframe was modified to work with the caddy motor also, thast might pose as a problem.

so its SHOULD work :biggrin: w-body.com be prepared for the first convertible cutlass with a northstar V8! so getting to the tech stuff, all i should really need from the deville is the engine tranny and ecm right?

that seems a bit extreme; fitting a fwd engine into a fwd car yes but turning a fwd car into a rwd is hard enough but if its done why use a fwd engine with a rwd tranny? the N*/T-56 combo jus seems wierd to me espicially in a car thats originally a fwd car.

The only difference between the 1 gen and the 1.5 gen is the firewall. The 1.5 gen's firewall, near the downpipe area, is back just a bit more for more clearance. This makes a world of a difference.

so its SHOULD work :biggrin: w-body.com be prepared for the first convertible cutlass with a northstar V8! so getting to the tech stuff, all i should really need from the deville is the engine tranny and ecm right?

...and I just popped a boner.

if anyone got any helpful ideas it would be greatly appreciated

For a project like this, you'll need...

A sawzall, safety glasses, a cheap MIG welder, wire strippers and a few spools of wire, lots of time and cash, and no girlfriend or wife. Maybe a couple cases of Milwakee's Best Ice too.

• 2 weeks later...

A sawzall, safety glasses, a cheap MIG welder, wire strippers and a few spools of wire, lots of time and cash, and no girlfriend or wife. Maybe a couple cases of Milwakee's Best Ice too.

Most importantly: a BFH!

Sawzall would take care of that...

So Shawn I see your still active of the forums huh? VERY cool stuff.

Aaron Lephart

Hey Aaron, it's been a LONG time! Yeah, I try to make it on here at least once a week.

Jeff M told me about your accident and I was following your progress for awhile. How are things?

Most people on here are probably too young to remember you were the original L67 transplant pioneer!

Hello Shawn!,

Yeah its been an interesting year and a half. Things are good. The 96 GTP finally met her demise at my hands. Not in an accident so to speak, decided to take out my anger. Anyhow the car is gone. I'll provide a pic providing you don't think i've gone mad.

Actually there is a prestine red 94 Z34 that is around town and I offered the owner 4k and she seems like she might bite. 32k original miles. Its just dieing for a transplant.

Still have the TGP?

Aaron Lephart