Rocker panel on my lumina (1.5)

LumiDriver

My passenger side rocker panel has a massive rust hole. I can't believe how bad it is. Just a quick question relating to that. Are they bolt in, and how easy are they to replace. (There really isn't any saving it. I'll get some pics up soon of how bad it is.)

Another question that involved rust. I have a spot of rust on my roof, in the dead center, about the size of a quarter. It looks like just surface rust, but it's under the paint? What the hell caused that? And how would I go about repairing that as well?

Rocker panels must be cut off and welded on - they do not bolt on to the car.

The spot of rust on the roof will have to be sanded down t othe bare metal, primed, and blended/paint the roof. If you want to do it right of course. Painting over rust without removing it completely won't solve anything.

How did it happen? Probably a small chip that got water in it..eventually got under the paint surface and got to the metal. My Lumina is bad for that because the paint is cracked everywhere and it's easy for mositure to pop off the paint and expose the metal.

thats why my lumina has not been out of the garage this summer, the rockers are gone :evil:

I've looked around and every like someone gives me is a dead end to replacement rockers for the lumina. They will be fixed next year, thats for sure

thats why my lumina has not been out of the garage this summer, the rockers are gone :evil:

I've looked around and every like someone gives me is a dead end to replacement rockers for the lumina. They will be fixed next year, thats for sure

I know if sounds ghetto but are there any junk yard pieces that would work? Got cut them off and have your body guy weld them on to your car. That's sort of a last resort though.

I hope mine aren't rotting inside out..but then again I wouldn't doubt it. That stupid vent in the door jam used to leak water into the quarter panel under the rear quarter windows for the longst time.

My passenger side rocker panel has a massive rust hole. I can't believe how bad it is. Just a quick question relating to that. Are they bolt in, and how easy are they to replace. (There really isn't any saving it. I'll get some pics up soon of how bad it is.)

Another question that involved rust. I have a spot of rust on my roof, in the dead center, about the size of a quarter. It looks like just surface rust, but it's under the paint? What the hell caused that? And how would I go about repairing that as well?

Can you upload a pic?

First Gen Lumina rockers are only $65 for each side at the dealership. I know this because I asked when I was there getting a new gas filler neck. I think I still have the part numbers written down somewhere too. I don't know what the price is for 1.5, sorry.

First Gen Lumina rockers are only $65 for each side at the dealership. I know this because I asked when I was there getting a new gas filler neck. I think I still have the part numbers written down somewhere too. I don't know what the price is for 1.5, sorry.

do you happen to have the part # ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :eek: :idea:

GTP= plastic rockers FTW!!! BTW Ray if you get the new ones or j/y ones you know we can weld them on and paint them. The paintwork will also be lifetime warrantied so if it rusts again, you can blame it on the paint and well fix it for free! and you know john will give you a decent price and it will get done right.

yes indeed but at least if mine rust it isnt as much of an eyesore!

Yeah, but they are still rusted underneath. And... underneath the rest of the body cladding on that car, it's almost guaranteed that it's rusting like hell.

Actually youd be surprised. Ive had one rocker and almost all of the b4u off of that car, and there was only one little spot that had rust, which was on the very bottom of the quarter right next to the door. I promptly sanded it all out e-coated it and painted it!

do you happen to have the part # ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :eek: :idea:

• 1 month later...

Seriously? If you are not lying, you will be my hero. Every time I've ever asked, they tell me they are discontinued.

But If they still sell them I will be one happy mother F---er!!!! Both of mine are going, one bad one getting worse.

I know I have those numbers somewhere in my garage. When searching for them at the dealership, the guy identified there were two types, an inner and and an outter. He said the inner ones were long gone, but the outter ones (the ones you want) were still avaliable. He showed me the picture and they were they were the exact part.