Just did new KYB's in the front and man am I pleased

asonofabeach69

I have an 89 Grand Prix SE w/ 70k miles (all original) and she still looks like new. Anyway, I'm probably in the minority on this, but I've been trying to keep everything as original as possible. I'm considering new struts (although, the factory ones on it do seem ok yet... no pogo effect) and per the w-body website I considered the KYB GR2's given the comments of being closer to stock FE3 but maybe a bit stiffer. However, I'd really like to stay original, so I looked at GM/ACDelco products which are probably differerent now anyway than the original factory units, but they now only list one strut part number regardless of FE1 or FE3 suspension. (That's looking at sites such as ACDelco.com. and GMPartsDirect.com appears to be missing some information). Based on my understanding, and the website, I thought the 89 Grand Prix with the FE3, or FE3 suspensions in general, had stiffer struts than the FE1 suspension. So:

1)Is that true that the 1989 era FE3 ran unique/stiffer struts, or were the FE1 vs. FE3 suspension differences limited to sway bars and springs?

2)Where I can find the part numbers for the OEM FE3 struts?

3)Might anyone know if the current GM struts are at all equivalent to the OEM FE3 struts, or are they equivalent more to the FE1 if they are indeed different?

I know this is an odd request, but it's been sort of a hobby to keep this old girl close as possible to the day it rolled off the assembly line. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

FE3 suspension had a stiffer monoleaf out back and bigger swaybars. The struts were the same between all the models, regardless of suspension package. Struts won't have different stiffnesses, it is your rear monoleaf and front springs that will determine stiffness.

If I were you, I'd run KYB GR2's in it, as you will get a much nicer ride than the old original struts, and nobody will ever know the suspension is upgraded (you really can't see them....)

I will be replacing all 4 of my struts with GR2's on my all original 90 TGP probably while its in storage over the winter; all 4 struts have blown and my monoleaf is starting to crack... time for some suspension tlc.

Just my input

Nick

on the fe1, thats what i think i have, its a 99 lumina 3100 ls, what sixe is the front sway bar, and if anyone knows what size energy suspension bushings it takes, that'd be great

DROP THE FRAME, damn these cars couldnt get any worse, i want to upgrade something that attaches to the bottom of the frame and i have to take it off to replace it...wow, is there an easdier way to do it