1990 3.1 engine idling way to high

Panther15

lately my engine has been idling very high for some reason which i cannot figure out. Doesnt seem to have a throttle cable issue, not sure what it could be. any help would be greatly appreciated. i gotta change the water pump this weekend anyways, one of many other things wrong with this 158 thousand mile motor lol.

Did you disconnect the battery? Try and idle re learn. I didnt do this for about 1.5 years. The gas i save now! 1100 rpm idle down to 500 rpm idle!

How high is your idle? does it get any better after you drive it and warm it up?

I had the same problem on a '93 Olds VIN T (3.1L).

When I hooked it to a computer... it turned out to have 5% throttle angle at an idle.

Disconnecting the battery would fix the problem for a number of drives, but I replaced the TPS, and now have no problems.

The other guys are right though, IAC and vacuum leak are the first 2 things you should check.

Later.

I have had a sim issue ...3 time the pvc line broken , valve bad or dirty iac if you can get a TECH 1a bidirectional scan tool look at the counts for tps to valve counts along with requested iac , if you computer is asking for lets say 10 counts your iac output should be with in 2 counts if it is you have a vac leak and look hard at pcv and the plastic hose and rubber hose ( ALL ) ..... :willynilly: :high5:

it's either a massive vacuum leak, which you should check over anyway, but more than likely this problem is caused by tired injectors. I had the exact same problem with my 3.1 turbo engine. New injectors smoothed out the idle and the throttle response big time.