3.1 problem VERT DOWN. engine carnage.. Compression checked!

Crazy K

TRADGEDY! I just replaced the bad injectors in the car, as the car broke down during a test drive. 5 injectors were below spec, one completely with a reading of 2.3 ohms.

upon reassembly.... the car is hammering and stumbling.

the hammering sounds like it is from the upper area of the engine

I am going to change the oil and see what I might find when i do that.

other thoughts on what I CAN do?

naw. definitly somthing metallic knocking.

I wonder if I had a dry piston?

I took if for a test drive after it came back to normal, sounds fine. cars kinda sloppy though :(

engine still runs

did an oil change, lots of metal on the magnetic drain plug.

grabbed a compression tester, and pulled all six plugs, plug number 1 has a shattered insulator. DAMMINT!

compression test results!!!!!

1 150 psi cylinder which had spark plug insulator shattered in chamber. probably the noise I heard.

2 130 psi

3 180 psi

4 70 psi oil poured in resulted in no change. ie not the rings.

5 180 psi

6 180 psi

thoughts?

can someone post the compression specs for the car? I think that the familiar lope this engine has may have been here for a long time, ie cylinder 4 has long been damaged.

btw the plugs were coated with white powdery texture deposits.

can someone post the compression specs for the car? I think that the familiar lope this engine has may have been here for a long time, ie cylinder 4 has long been damaged.

btw the plugs were coated with white powdery texture deposits.

Haynes says 100psi minimum and no less then 30% variation across all cylinders.

Haynes manual also has pictures of different spark plug conditions, though I can't match yours since there are a few in here that have white deposits lol

1 150 psi cylinder which had spark plug insulator shattered in chamber. probably the noise I heard.

2 130 psi

3 180 psi

5 180 psi

6 180 psi

thoughts?

Was the really bad injector on the same cylinder as the one with low compression??? If so, detonation/preignition may have cracked the piston...+

2 130 psi

3 180 psi

5 180 psi

6 180 psi

thoughts?

Was the really bad injector on the same cylinder as the one with low compression??? If so, detonation/preignition may have cracked the piston...+

no cylinder 2 was the really bad injector.

5 out of 6 ain't that bad...

pulled the valve cover.

all movement looks good.... pulled the cylinder 4 rockers and checked the pushrods, all ok. :(

I am going to change the number 4 exhaust valve spring, it feels kinda soft. luckily I haver a stack of old Heads.

I will use the rope trick to support the valve/

WOULD IT BE BAD TO TAKE AND MOUNT A DRILL ON THE VALVE STEM AND SPIN THE VALVE, hopefully burnishing the seat???

Do this: Pick up the tool which threads into the spark plug bore. This has a length of hose attached to a fitting that allows you to force compressed air into the cylinder. At least this way you can kind of "leak check" the valves vs the other cylinders (there will always be some sort of leakage) If nothing else you could use the compressed air to keep the valves up while you grind them in, should you go that route. I have no idea how you'd do that without applying compound to the seat.

Do this: Pick up the tool which threads into the spark plug bore. This has a length of hose attached to a fitting that allows you to force compressed air into the cylinder. At least this way you can kind of "leak check" the valves vs the other cylinders (there will always be some sort of leakage) If nothing else you could use the compressed air to keep the valves up while you grind them in, should you go that route. I have no idea how you'd do that without applying compound to the seat.

I don't have a compressor... but the tester I got from AZ is compressor compatible. ...calling a friend.

I'll spin the valves with a drill, I'm hoping whatever deposits exist act as grinding compound! LOL

I don't have a compressor... but the tester I got from AZ is compressor compatible. ...calling a friend.

I'll spin the valves with a drill, I'm hoping whatever deposits exist act as grinding compound! LOL

Reminds me of my old USAF days: Improvise Airman, improvise!! :lol:

Good luck with it Ken.