3.1 MPFI redline?

Guest TurboSedan

It ain't the valve springs as they don't start to float until 6000-6500, and Aluminum head Valve springs are sufficent for many aftermarket cams as they are about as strong as the aftermarket springs. It's the whole way they designed the air flow systems which for back then was good. The main problem is out the exit. The intake is a problem but the exhaust exit is the primary problem. With the right setup you can run the GEN2 and GEN1 past 5000 RPM with power, though you'd might have more fun with that in a GEN 3 setup. And if there wasn't enough spring pressure and valves floated at 4000 all our motors would be in the trash right now, acutally they gave us a durable, quality, highly adaptive valve spring. Also the cam they gave limits the power and at which rpm as well. The power band of the cam is not that broad when it gets high up. My Engine runs up to 5500 way better. Its not a waste in 1st gear any more, neither is 2nd. Only when I shift up to second I think the computer has to figure out the ignition because I do get detonation during the shift. If it wasn't for that I'd run though second more smoothly, I could turn down the transmission a hair make not so abrupt.

Obviously it's in the cam. I knew that for sure...but I was told about the springs by a local engine builder. It seemed like it made sense at the time, too. But, I think one would benefit from stronger springs, as I have been told by many that a little stiffer would help.

Of course, that local engine builder also told me that pistons in the Turbo 3.1 are the same as the N/A pistons.

Jason

No, the redline marker is in the ecm chip. I've changed it, and it does change on the dash. For example, if you disconnect the ORG aldl wire that goes to the dash, you will notice you dont have a tach...but also none of the red line segments will be lit.

Where in the cal is this located? Please share. :)

Well, I use GMPCM, so according to that it's at address 000E. It's just marked redline.

Jason

Thats Micks ass kickin software. You NEED to check it out. And if you like it, send him $10 like I did...it's worth it.

Unfortunatly, I cannot find the link to download it right now. But if you PM him, he'll get right back to you with the link I'm sure.

Jason

Thats Micks ass kickin software. You NEED to check it out. And if you like it, send him $10 like I did...it's worth it.

Unfortunatly, I cannot find the link to download it right now. But if you PM him, he'll get right back to you with the link I'm sure.

Jason

Yes!! Please post a link. The ECMs in the first GEN cars are relatively simple. I would love to datalog and play with my cutlass

• 3 weeks later...

1st gear@6000 = 45mph

2nd@6000 = 75

3rd@6000 = 92

4th@6000 = 120

ive reached those on a flat stretch of road with my '89 3.1 grand prix with auto trans

mods= hi-flo tranny cooler, no exhaust, manifolds only, cold air intake 205/60/15 tires

Yeah, I have 92 3.1 with 4T60 and have held it in first until 6000 and hit 45mph. 2nd at 5500 75mph and have had it to 110mph at about 4500 or 5000rpm. I have a converter-less exhaust and K&N Filter and have installed an aftermarket tach which reads pretty good. I did the above on 215/65/15 H rated tires. The redline is at 6000 though

Robby