3.1 MPFI redline?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

what should the 3.1 MPFI redline at? i've had my 3.1 up to 4600 and it was really screaming (accelerating hard in 3rd gear). i think the highest i would probably go is 4500 from now on, but i usually shift around 4000-4200 when i'm getting on it. does this sound about right or is my tach off? the gauges cluster i swapped in has a 6000 RPM redline and i couldn't imagine reving the engine up to 6000 or even 5000. any input appreciated. thanks

joshua

I've gotten mine up to about 5,500 before, I doubt it was in 3rd gear though, even still, once you go past 4K the engine seems to loose it's pull. Maybe it's just my car.

Also, could a faulty TPS make for a "rich" condition where it would almost make it rev higher? I don't know how to explain it... if just feels like, when I floor it, it'll pause, then "charge up" and all of a sudden the R's are really high. (5,500)

-MaD-

Guest TurboSedan

i know my 3.1 really wakes up around 3000, but it definately loses its pull after 4000. according to my tach anyway. i'd love to get new Z-rated tires and see what 5th can pull, but after 110 i'd probably chicken out. i remember having my CS up to 108 (it could've gone faster), but that was back when i had the 4T60 in the car. so far i've only had the car up to 105 or so with the 5-speed, and it *definately* could've gone alot faster than that....it was still pulling good at 105.

joshua

one day in my 88 olds 2.8L MPFI, I steped on it and it would not shift. It got to about 55 MPH in first gear and it was screamin at about 6000 RPM!!

I finally let off and then it shifted, But Damn it was scary!!!!

Guest TurboSedan
one day in my 88 olds 2.8L MPFI, I steped on it and it would not shift. It got to about 55 MPH in first gear and it was screamin at about 6000 RPM!!

yeah, 55mph in 1st sounds like a bit of a stretch of the imagination!?!? i think the fastest i can go with my 3.1/5-speed in 1st is *maybe* 30mph. and that would really be really pushing it. i've only been up to 25mph in 1st myself.

joshua

6,000rpms @ 55mph sounds more like 2nd gear to me...

When I get a nice redline, I usually hover around the 2,000rpm range at about 18mph before I floor it, and when I do, since I don't have the electric tranny, it DOES get to about 5,500rpms at AROUND 45-55 MPH without shifting, and it'll stay there for longer than I want it there before it shifts. Or sometimes I physically have the shifter in 2nd gear and pop it into Drive, then drive is good until about 70mph (rpm-wise) then it's on to OD, when I'm not abusing my poor drivetrain, I keep it in OD..

-MaD-

Guest TurboSedan

in 2nd gear i can reach maybe 40-45mph, TOPS. 3rd gear i can probably get to 60mph, 4th maybe 95mph, 5th i dunno. i can't remember what i could reach in 2nd when i had a 4T60.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

4th gear seems to have a REALLY wide range. in normal driving i usually shift to 4th at about 50mph, but i can carry 4th all the way to somewhere between 90-100mph (normal driving i shift to 5th at 75mph and set cruise...75mph in 5th = 2600 RPM). 100mph in 4th would be pushing it a bit tho. mmm ...Z-rated tires, a 4-wheel alingment...a dead road with an 11-mile straightaway (highway 34 between Laramie and Wheatland Wyoming). no traffic, i could see any oncoming cars at least 10 miles ahead, nice smooth pavement, no trees or anything on the sides....too bad it's at almost 8000 feet elevation! and then after the straigtaway it's fun canyon twisties until I-25. timg of this forum probably knows what i'm talking about (Sybille Canyon), since he probably goes between Gillette & Laramie often just like i do. Sybille Caynon is the ULTIMATE!!!

joshua

what should the 3.1 MPFI redline at? i've had my 3.1 up to 4600 and it was really screaming (accelerating hard in 3rd gear). i think the highest i would probably go is 4500 from now on, but i usually shift around 4000-4200 when i'm getting on it. does this sound about right or is my tach off? the gauges cluster i swapped in has a 6000 RPM redline and i couldn't imagine reving the engine up to 6000 or even 5000. any input appreciated. thanks

joshua

The 3.1 red's @ 6000 rpm

The 3.4DOHC red's @ 7000 rpm

• 3 weeks later...

Its possible with the Auto for the car to be moving that fast and to have the engine rotating that quick. a Shift at 5000RPM on the Auto usually yields about 40 MPH. As for the motor running at 6000..that's possbile too. The engine can rev that high but its just that there is no power up there...not yet anyways... Acually I had my old 2.8 at 7000+ rpm, becasue I was cruising up a hill with the criuse control and I manually had 3rd engauged and I pushed up but I wasn't paying attention and I pushed up again and I went into neutral.Whoops!!!

My 3.1 wouldn;t shift last night. OR maybe it would but i didn't want to push it. I've had that bitch up there sounding like it was gonna blow but this time it scared me. My mom is in charge of my bank account right now while i am in college and she said if the tranny goes, you can replace it with the manual (maybe). BUT DAMN I THOUGH IT WAS GONNA COME THROUGH THE FLOOR BOARDS, Is this cuz it was cold or cuz it's on it's way out? Usually shifts high when i step on it. Also where do i hook up a autometer tach???? Thanks Jay

i also have a 3.1 with a 440T4(4T60), i like to get on it alot, and it wont shift till i hit at least 40 in 1st, 45-50 max, but since i dont have a tach, i never know how many rpms it is. 2nd seems to last forever too. i was playin around on a highway with a friend of mine, and it wouldnt shift outta 2nd, i was doin about 80 or so and it was screamin, but refused to shift, finally i let the gas off and it did shift, and i ended up off the bottom of my speedo(85mph)

The 3.1 really loses it's kick above 4000 for many reasons, but one of the reasons is the valve springs. They are not stiff enough and above 4000 they can't open/close the valves fast enough. Of course there are other things like the cam and chip tuning.

Also, on the digital gauges cluster (cutlass), you can adjust with the chip where the redline is displayed (5500, 6000, 6500).

Jason

No, it's in the ECM prom...and the cluster will only display the red line at 5000, 5500, and 6000 RPM. If you look closely at your cluster you will notice 3 segments on the outside of the tach. These are next to the ranges of 5000, 5500, and 6000 RPM.

Jason

What about the DOHC cutlass with the digital dash. Are you sure 7000 is in there too? Maybe its a different digital dash. I never even looked for that code though...are you sure its in the chip? I would have though the LEDs or whatever would take care of that.

wow...that's odd...the first "segment" of red doesn't stay illuminated after the "startup" of the digital readouts....so my redline shows 6k instead of 5500....I have the original MEMCAL in and the cluster came from an '89 w/ a 2.8!!!

No, the redline marker is in the ecm chip. I've changed it, and it does change on the dash. For example, if you disconnect the ORG aldl wire that goes to the dash, you will notice you dont have a tach...but also none of the red line segments will be lit.

And I don't think the 3.4 redlines at 7k...I think it was supposed to (and more than capable), but they had to change the redline to 6250 because of the automatic trans. I think the manual goes to 6500 though.

Jason

The 3.1 really loses it's kick above 4000 for many reasons, but one of the reasons is the valve springs. They are not stiff enough and above 4000 they can't open/close the valves fast enough. Of course there are other things like the cam and chip tuning.

Also, on the digital gauges cluster (cutlass), you can adjust with the chip where the redline is displayed (5500, 6000, 6500).

Jason

It ain't the valve springs as they don't start to float until 6000-6500, and Aluminum head Valve springs are sufficent for many aftermarket cams as they are about as strong as the aftermarket springs. It's the whole way they designed the air flow systems which for back then was good. The main problem is out the exit. The intake is a problem but the exhaust exit is the primary problem. With the right setup you can run the GEN2 and GEN1 past 5000 RPM with power, though you'd might have more fun with that in a GEN 3 setup. And if there wasn't enough spring pressure and valves floated at 4000 all our motors would be in the trash right now, acutally they gave us a durable, quality, highly adaptive valve spring. Also the cam they gave limits the power and at which rpm as well. The power band of the cam is not that broad when it gets high up. My Engine runs up to 5500 way better. Its not a waste in 1st gear any more, neither is 2nd. Only when I shift up to second I think the computer has to figure out the ignition because I do get detonation during the shift. If it wasn't for that I'd run though second more smoothly, I could turn down the transmission a hair make not so abrupt.

No, the redline marker is in the ecm chip. I've changed it, and it does change on the dash. For example, if you disconnect the ORG aldl wire that goes to the dash, you will notice you dont have a tach...but also none of the red line segments will be lit.

Where in the cal is this located? Please share. :)