Lowering a '91 GRand Prix

Hello, I am form the J-Body.org. I do suspension work on the side. I have a guy that wants to lower his '91 Grand Prix. I looked around on here and have kinda gathered that you can not lower the rear of this car???

I think he is looking for about an additional 2" drop. From the sounds of it, its not possible at least by "doing it the right way". ;)

Are there any possiblillities???

Thanks in advance!!!! :)

Guest TurboSedan

go down a few threads to the topic 'Rear Coilovers for 95 Regal'. Coilovers are the only way. i think some company (RSM?) once sold directions for lowering the rear while retaining the monoleaf, but i'm not sure what they did or how low they got it. anyone know?

btw, my sig link shows the rear coilovers on my car. good luck

joshua

They tell you to cut the spring bushing and stack it on the bottom. There is a bushing between the body and the spring and you just modify that. The procedure lowers the car mabye a half inch and thats a stretch. In my opinion the "Lowering Kit" is a ripoff. Please don't be fooled as I was. They told me to keep the procedure a secret but I just wanna say F*ck u RSM. Now I have the coilovers from Michael, and I am very happy :D.

Hmmmm, well I may just have to work with one of my contacts in L.A. and see if we can develop some carbon fiber lowering monoleafs. ;)

Help out the w-body world a bit and maybe make a buck or 2 for the effort.

You could cut out the upper spring perch and get 2". Doesn't look that bad, but I'm not sure if that would weaken the rear axle or not... doesn't look like it would, but you could always weld in reinforcement if paranoid.

I may try it if I can get ahold of an extra rear axle assembly.

As for RSM's instructions - cut the spring bushings??? I'm not exactly sure how that would lower the car.

Guest TurboSedan
hell yeah :) the day a drop monoleaf is available is the day i ditch my coilovers.

joshua

Oh well yeah....but not :roll:

yeah, i wish. there is a company called flex-a-form that was supposed to make a rear drop spring, i'm not sure if they actually have yet or not. i tried their website http://www.flex-a-form.com/web/products.asp but couldn't tell so i called them (long distance) and all i could get was an answering machine. i will try email. coilovers are nice and even provide adjustability, but it still isn't 100% the 'right way' to lower a w-body. only a drop mono leaf can do that IMO.

joshua

http://www.fastfwdperformance.com has rear coilovers

http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=99174&BQ=jcw2 will fit the front of any 1st gen W-body. here is my car with the ST Springs and the stock sagging leaf in the rear.. slight rake:

lumwheel2.jpg

I have everthing suspention wise i can find except:

* rear strut tower bar

* rear coilovers

* wider tires

the things i have are:

* ST lowering springs up front

* KYB GR-2's in front

* Koni Adjustable sturts in rear

* front strut tower brace

* addco rear 7/8" swaybar

* Front and Rear Energy suspention Poly swaybar bushings

RedZ

I lowered my rear by putting 2 subwoofers and 2 concrete blocks in the trunk. With all that in the trunk, I measured that it dropped a inch and a half. Probably not hte best way, but it did the trick!!!

Guest TurboSedan

considering adjustable coilovers are over $400, *unfortunatley* that IS the best way! coilovers are 40% cool (adustability), 60% pain in the ass (noisy). i would probably love the coilovers, but unfortunately, the Eibach 1.5" front lowering springs didn't do SHIT (i have to adjust the rear coilovers so the rear sits level with the front...which gives a stock apperance). IOW, my whole lowering experience flopped. i bought the 'lowering' stuff over a year ago and the car still sits like it used to. i'm pissed! my car is *maybe* 1" lower than it used to be, after spending over $500. i'm fucking pissed. if i had to do it all over again i would chop the front springs myself and throw concrete blocks in the trunk. fucking shit....

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
I can understand the subs for coolness, but the concrete blocks arent helping your mileage. If you care that is.

spending $525 for a supposed lowering kit helps even more.

joshua

Well actually I only did this in the winter time. I live in tennessee, when it snows, it snows :!: The blocks helps with traction. Just a tip I picked up somewhere. I think my car looks low enough with only the subs in the trunk. Go to my website, the main picture shows the side view, and the rear looks lower than other GP's I have seen.(In my opinion)

I have a lot of connections in the suspension world due to the fact that I race A LOT!! I am sure I can help develop something to help out the w-body world. I have made a few custom suspension setups for vehicles for which nothing could be bought.

We need to get some of these w-bodies on the ground like my car . . . ;)

8-7-02ncarney-Frnt%20Pass%20Qtr.jpg

Guest TurboSedan

sure i still have mine. i'll try to get a pic posted later today or tomarrow. heck i'll send it to you if it helps, since i have no need for it anymore. i'm surprised i haven't already thrown it away.

joshua

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I like that Cavalier!

I've never liked Cavaliers or any small cars for that matter, but your Cavalier looks very tastefully customized and very cleanly done. Very nice! :rocking:

Thanks man.

I actually autocross my Z24 all the time. So I try to keep to the functional stuff. ;)

I usually spend money on suspension stuff, then the engine, but I got the bumper for free when I wrecked it. My custom license plate WAS going to be GOB4SHO. But then I got the bumper and a few other little "show"things. LOL

Oh well, least they were donated by State Farm. :D

Guest TurboSedan

these are pics that i got from the TDC website when it was still up:

GTP before & after the TDC coilover kit. i belive they use Eibach front springs:

http://groups.msn.com/theCSproject/thecsproject.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=24

sideview of lowered GTP:

http://groups.msn.com/theCSproject/thecsproject.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=25

there are also some pics of my car with the TDC coilovers, as well as a closeup of the kit. hope this helps! btw that's one sharp cavalier!

joshua

Cool man, thanks.

As soon as I get this guys GP down here. I can start doing some experimental suspension stuff to the rear.

I'll keep you all posted.

and thanks for the comment on the Cav.

I try hard to make it look good w/o over doing it. I usually focus more on performance. But a little $$$ on looks is ok every once in a while! ;)