whining from the gas??

synistershadows

ok well i dunno if it is normal or what but it seems that whenever i stop from driving for a while my car starts a mid range whine comming from my gas tank and when i go to the cap and slowly relese it the pressure in the tank goes down the whining stops and i get a smell of gas and i can see the vapors releasing.

does anyone know what could be causing this problem???

Try a new cap..seems like yours is leaking...pressure in the gas tank isn't unusual, and vapors escaping when relieving pressure isn't unusual either. That's why you don't smoke when fueling hha

A little info guys, GM fuel pumps are known for being noisy... It is perfectly normal... So long as it doesn't sound like a supercharger though :lol:

dis is true, but they cant make noise when the car is turned off !!

if your getting it when you shut off the car, its not the fuel pump.

I say start with the gas cap and go from there. Or like mentioned before one of the vent lines going to the evap canister could be cracked and making a leak, when you remove the gas cap you relieve all pressure so the leak stops. If you get under the car you will find 2 rubber hoses going from the top of the tank to a canister located behind the drivers side rear wheel well. Check those hoses for any cracks.

Jamie

I've always had a whine coming from the tank. even with my new pump. my gf's 94 cuttty vert does the same to. prolly normal but if the car is off then that could be pressure in the tank. when I'm low on feul and I pull off the gas cap it releases pressure. but I don't hear any noise with the car off