Breather filter - do we really need that tube?

JPaganel

On my 3.1 there is a tube going from the airbox-to-throttle-body hose into the front valve cover. It is part of the PCV system.

So far as I understand it, its purpose is to let already filtered air into the crankcase. The air is sucked out of the other valve cover through the PCV valve into a tube leading to the underside of the intake plenum.

If I replace my airbox with a pipe and a cone filter, can I just buy a small breather filter and stick it into that hole in the valve cover? Will anything bad happen? Anything good? Anyone try it?[/b]

• 2 weeks later...

TGP guys...

I don't know if it is much of a problem, but if you think about a N/A car there is always vacuum to the PCV removing the gasses from the motor right? On the TGP as soon as you start to make boost to the motor the PCV closes and then the Air Box inlet line continues the vacuum. If you don't have the breather hooked to any vacuum source you are running the risk of built up gases in the crankcase. Whether or not there would be a detrimental effect on the motor...I don't know, but to me I always make sure I have the front breather hooked to some sort of vacuum. Just my opinion... 8)

I just ordered a air intake system from this company for my 89 Olds Cutlass, they are selling them dirt cheap made to fit the Cutlass. There $25 comes with polished aluminum 3" tube and K&N style cone fiter. I Let you know when I receive it and send a pic. Its not a cold air intake though. You should send us a pic of yours and start selling them!

what company?

I dunno if u would call it a "cold" air intake, but the cone sits right behind that little hole behind the drivers side headlight where the snorkel on the factory air box would go into. Before i made my own, i had the RSM one, and did it suck. the cone was basically over the exhaust manifold.

Paul

I bought a 6 month used RACTIVE brand heat shielded cone filter($20 shipped). It doesn't compare to a K&N but I have it pretty close up to the opening behind the driverside headlight. I like that it gets a chance to get more cool air. It draws all its ait through the front opening with a little jet engine like cone in the center to smooth the air passage.

Maybe you guys could fashion a heat shield around the lower part at least. I've seen it on some of the w-body sites.

I bought a 6 month used RACTIVE brand heat shielded cone filter($20 shipped). It doesn't compare to a K&N but I have it pretty close up to the opening behind the driverside headlight. I like that it gets a chance to get more cool air. It draws all its ait through the front opening with a little jet engine like cone in the center to smooth the air passage.

Maybe you guys could fashion a heat shield around the lower part at least. I've seen it on some of the w-body sites.

link us then...Please

i so want a CAI, but the ones i have seen require the relocation fo the batt. and not sure if i want to do that.

i have been holding off on a k+n as i do not want to just get the drop in to find something else i want more. i like the pipe and the cone, but that is just getting hot air from the engine compartment. so what good is that?

so for now i will just wait.

i plan on an FDP chip as well as a freer flowing quiet exhaust. so therefore it will have to breathe wasier on the intake side as well.

Monty