cutlass built in amp?

hell_raiser

is the a built in amp for the rear 6x9's in my 95 cutless the speakers have 4 wires going to each speaker and lol where is it b/c i think its fried lol i wired the 2 + together and the two - together and all i smelled was burning electronics :redface: im going to try to put my stock 6x9's in and wire it up stock and see what happens ps did any one find that them stock 6x9's are better than after market? for bass lol thay sound like lil subs mind you not like my 2 alpines lol

the tweeter feed is just a normal speaker feed... you could yank the amp and call it a day.... if the amp is all that fried.

I answered your pm on the stock amp location.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My STE's stock amp is mounted under the dash, directly in front of the center console. It's not part of the stock radio. I don't know if this is different for the Cutlass, but I would think it's about the same.

• 2 weeks later...

whats with the 4 wires to the rear speakers then?

Would tho 2 of thoes wires be running to the other speaker.? If so its becase its Dual Voice Coils.... Now that would only be so if they were NOT the stock speakers.

yup u could, your best bet would be to not run any speakers off ur deck and get an amp i love bass too and rilly the only way to get it is have a amazing deck or amp sub/good 6/9.

imho you should just get a cheep amp and run a cheep sub.

and w's imho are hard to get bass from with out a sub

well with my setup im getting decent bass now i just want a lil more so im thinking about going with this 200W MTX amp

by any chance does anyone know what the power rating for the stock amp is?

Most aftermarkets are often only 13-17WRMS.... Only Alpines (select ones only) had 20WRMS per channel... You will be suprised that most stock GM's are more powerful than a lot of aftermarket units.

pos sony at work has 22

Doubt it... That would be peak power..... For an aftermarket HU to have 20WRMS or more, the constant 12V to it would have to be rewired to the battery with 10ga wire...

Get me the model number off of it...