Coolant smell - EEEEEK - HELP -- Pics updated!

NVMY03GT

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NVMY03GT

• Crazy K

• DavidHowell3633

• FordBoy

Alright so the fun continues. Good friend of mine told me about the bleeder valve so I used it to get the air out of the system, now comes the more fun part. It was weird that hose I was referring to shrunk up to the point where it was super thin, and then I tightned the screw and I think it allowed the coolant to pass after that.

now the good news. It looks like the Thermo is working now, its getting up to about the 3/4 range and the fan is engaging. Problem is I still smell Anti-Freeze. And now the more fun part. On the radiator I see steam/smoke coming off. I can't identify where its coming from other than I can see it in the engine bay in front of the pulleys near the radiator under the cap. Thoughts on this? Radiator shot?

could be. I recommend washing the engine bay, and giving it a chance to run down the road for a day. (but immdieately shut down if it overheats) and see if the smell goes away.

could be. I recommend washing the engine bay, and giving it a chance to run down the road for a day. (but immdieately shut down if it overheats) and see if the smell goes away.

Well the good news is she stayling realtively cool but it still climbs. Let me ask this someone was telling me that really the fans should only kick on if its getting too hot for the coolant to keep up. My Temp stays about 190 - 210 when driving but idling it climbs up to one notch aboe the hot marker and the fan kicks on to cool it down - is this normal?

so the guage seems to indicate it is hot? even though the fans turn on and everything? (a problem plaguing my 95 3100)

what level is the gauge at while crusing at highway speeds?

For my 95, I plan to upgrade to a 96+ 3 way sender and pigtail and see what it does. the PCM when scanned indicates that the temps are normal, but my gauge reads 20 degrees too hot currently!

so the guage seems to indicate it is hot? even though the fans turn on and everything? (a problem plaguing my 95 3100)

what level is the gauge at while crusing at highway speeds?

For my 95, I plan to upgrade to a 96+ 3 way sender and pigtail and see what it does. the PCM when scanned indicates that the temps are normal, but my gauge reads 20 degrees too hot currently!

No no - The temp gauges stays around the 200 marker give or take, but when Im idling or sitting in traffic she starts to climb. It will get up to right before the Red Zone and the fans engage themselves to bring it back down. I thought our cars were supposed to run around the 200 marker. Is that impossible in traffic though?

Sitting in traffic, your car WILL run hotter. Your stock thermostat is 195*, but that does not mean that your car will not heat up past 195*. I forget what the exact temperature that the fans are to kick on(I wanna say 215*), but I wouldn't totally rely on your guage. There is an error factor that you need to assume with ATLEAST 15+ year old electronic guages. But, if you are still going pretty high, I would think that you don't have your system to full pressure, which means a leak somewhere. Retry bleeding the system, usually it takes a few tries to get it all out.

Now, if your still getting steam out of the radiator, i'd be worrying. I would guess that either the radiator is cracked or one of your hoses is shot.

oh and now Im out of fuel to top it off. Low Fuel Light is on and its just barely above E so Im guessing Im out. It spuddered really bad and then stalled. Tried to turn back over and nothing :(

Thoughts/

Your gauge must read high, then. I can get all the way under the line before I need to fill up.

I ran out of gas once in my Lumina and the guage said I had 1/4tank still..

is that a typical wbody thing.... cause mine does tha same shit.. iguess its the location of the pump... cause if im on half tank... if i smash it the needle drops to 1/4 if i brake it goes up 3/4.... if i turn right it goes down... if i tern left i goes up lol

Well with all good news comes the bad news:

Good news: Car is finally staying cool and Thermostat is working as it should

Bad News: I believe my water pump gasket is just jacked up. I knew putting it on was going to be a pain in the ass considering I could have had my 2 year old make the gasket they gave me I mean why didn't they just give us a sheet of construction paper?

Please tell me there is a rubber gasket out there that does a better job then the POS they gave me.